Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best monitors for Photoshop and Lightroom  (Read 1260 times)

Lew1716

Best monitors for Photoshop and Lightroom
« on: September 03, 2020, 03:30:05 pm »

I don't know how to do the math for this, but what are the best monitors (or specs) for squeezing every last drop of quality - color, contrast and resolution - out of large raw files? I work in a small room that can be made entirely dark except for the display, so anti-glare/reflection is not a consideration - in fact, it's a hindrance, afaik. I'm looking to see all the detail of which my raws are capable and, I think, my old 1080p doesn't cut it anymore.

Ethan Hansen

• Dry Creek Photo
Re: Best monitors for Photoshop and Lightroom
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2020, 08:24:15 pm »

What's your budget? Moving to the 4K display world does indeed make a difference as long as your monitor is large enough to appreciate the detail.

If you want to spend as much as a midsized car, look no further than the Eizo CG3146. For an order of magnitude less cash, the NEC PA311D-BK ($3K) is spectacular. Whether the integrated Spectraview calibration kit is worth another $250 or so is up to you. These are what we use for critical editing.

Cutting the price in half again, Dell's 27" Ultrasharps offer the best bang for the buck I have seen. If you edit any video, the UP2718Q is very good, for photos only the UP2720Q offers smoother response and shadow details.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2020, 08:36:45 pm »

You want a monitor that can be calibrated.

tived

• http://
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2020, 12:02:10 am »

1. It has to be able to be calibrated - you would need to have a calibrator!

2. This is how I see it - 4K is for 30in and bigger 2k is anything less

3. EIZO, NEC will be in your top bracket but others have joined too but have not been known for their monitors. Benq, ASUS and DELL all have good monitors but I would say they are a step down mainly because they don’t have the history to back them.

I have been very happy with various Dell screens over the years as well as NEC, worked at Studios with EIZO

It really depends on your budget

Good luck

NB I just went with two 27in screens 2k I should have gone with 32in 4K but you live and learn

Henrik

Jim Metzger

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2020, 07:37:22 am »

If you think working in a black room is the way to go you have more research to do. That is good if you expect your images to only be viewed on screen in a black room. There is a reason we set monitor calibration below their maximum contrast, photographic prints cannot reach that dmax.

My research recently indicated that 4K is good for video but 2K is a closer match to the definition in a good print. I am happy with my 27” NEC. It is very uniform across the screen and the Spectraview software is very good

Garnick

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2020, 02:30:26 pm »

If you think working in a black room is the way to go you have more research to do. That is good if you expect your images to only be viewed on screen in a black room. There is a reason we set monitor calibration below their maximum contrast, photographic prints cannot reach that dmax.

My research recently indicated that 4K is good for video but 2K is a closer match to the definition in a good print. I am happy with my 27” NEC. It is very uniform across the screen and the Spectraview software is very good

My workflow is definitely not what it used to be since I moved my business to my home location.  For the past 10 years I've been using NEC displays and now I'm down to the 24" version.  The 27" died about a year ago but the 24" is still working well.  A new 27" NEC is out of my $$$ range now so I've been looking for a different brand that might come somewhat close to the NEC line, or at least workable.  I would be quite satisfied with the 2K version, and as you mentioned, that seems to be the best for photographic work from what I've read.  Unfortunately I would not be able to use Spectraview, but there is of course other calibration software and I would still be able to use the i1 Display Pro as always.

And of course I agree with your approach to the dark room scenario for photo work.  Probably the worst possible work environment for that part of the process. 

Now a question:  Of the 2K models, which would be your pick?             

Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2020, 03:35:09 pm »

WHy can't you use Spectraview puck and software on the new monitor?  Did it die as well as the Nec monitor?

Lew1716

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2020, 03:46:58 pm »

The reason I like the dark room is that it cuts down on room light reflecting off the screen which degrades color and sharpness coming from the monitor. The only test of an image, imo, is the way a print looks on the wall of a gallery or museum. I'm hip to the contrast/dMax issues: both my monitors are calibrated every two months.
Pages: [1]   Go Up