Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Kevin Raber  (Read 2951 times)

DGHawkes

Kevin Raber
« on: September 01, 2020, 11:42:16 am »

A quick query about the apparent disappearance of Kevin Raber. I came across his new site PhotoPXL by sheer chance in a mention in someone’s Instagram post. Following links I joined and read his introduction. It seems clear that he was forced out of publishing Luminous Landscape (his ‘other website’?) and gutted to have been so.

He was a great boon to this site. His enthusiasm and infectious nature made even more mundane text readable and when he and Michael presented together it was a joy to watch. So, why this enforced change? I note, by the way, that there isn’t a single reference to him in the ‘Founder’s Page’ review of the history of this site, which I feel is disgraceful.

As a subscriber, when my subscription fee period ends I doubt I shall renew. So, any (non vetted) ideas?

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Re: Kevin Raber
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2020, 01:21:45 pm »

It's a long and largely unhappy story, probably best discussed elsewhere.

Jeremy

Krug

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2020, 09:36:25 am »

I entirely agree with Jeremy -  the least said about the Kevin Raber period on this site after Michael's death the better.
John Ashbourne
 www.johnashbourne.com

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2020, 11:35:08 am »

Wow. Vitriol.

bjanes

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2020, 01:34:48 pm »

A quick query about the apparent disappearance of Kevin Raber. I came across his new site PhotoPXL by sheer chance in a mention in someone’s Instagram post. Following links I joined and read his introduction. It seems clear that he was forced out of publishing Luminous Landscape (his ‘other website’?) and gutted to have been so.

He was a great boon to this site. His enthusiasm and infectious nature made even more mundane text readable and when he and Michael presented together it was a joy to watch. So, why this enforced change? I note, by the way, that there isn’t a single reference to him in the ‘Founder’s Page’ review of the history of this site, which I feel is disgraceful.

As a subscriber, when my subscription fee period ends I doubt I shall renew. So, any (non vetted) ideas?

It is clear what happened. The prodigal son returned and took over the site. Unfortunately, his past was that of a travelling rock musician with little experience  and expertise in photography. Kevin was forced out and Jeff Schewe and others no longer contribute to the discussions. We haven't seen Eric Chan for ages. The forums go on but editorial content and online tutorials have suffered greatly. When my subscription expires, I too will most likely not renew but may still visit the discussion forums since you don't have to pay to participate (that is, if I am not banned here).

Kevin has started his own site. Steve Perry has initiated a good discussion group and his web site has a lot of good content, some free and some requiring a modest fee. Users have the option to contribute to both sites to help cover the costs of maintaining them.

Bill

Manoli

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2020, 01:49:32 pm »

...  the least said about the Kevin Raber period on this site after Michael's death the better.

to paraphrase that famous AMEX line ‘ .it says more about you than cash ever can’ , in this case ‘ ...  it’s not what was said but what wasn’t ‘..  And the cognoscenti walked.

Manoli

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2020, 01:50:16 pm »

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2020, 03:23:46 pm »

I entirely agree with Jeremy -  the least said about the Kevin Raber period on this site after Michael's death the better.

That is a spectacularly unpleasant comment, which misrepresents what I wrote.

Jeremy

Krug

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2020, 08:30:10 am »

I accept Jeremy's rebuke and apologise unresevedly for that comment.
John Ashbourne
 www.johnashbourne.com

DP

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2020, 10:17:12 pm »

We haven't seen Eric Chan for ages.
which has nothing to do w/ raber case - he stopped posting well before that and one might assume that he either does not have time/interest or he was told to stop by mgmt (too much tech info for public eyes).

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2020, 05:53:10 am »

I accept Jeremy's rebuke and apologise unresevedly for that comment.

Thanks; and I of course accept the apology, insofar as it relates to me.

Jeremy

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2020, 10:27:49 pm »

Kevin Raber is both a great person and passionate photographer who has done a lot for the industry and for LL while he was around.

I find his new site extremely interesting.

Cheers,
Bernard
Pages: [1]   Go Up