Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: This is Crazy!  (Read 2051 times)

Slobodan Blagojevic

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 18209
  • When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
This is Crazy!
« on: August 22, 2020, 06:05:21 am »

...

jeremyrh

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2514
Re: This is Crazy!
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2020, 06:06:33 am »

Welcome back to the hysteria, Slobo :-)
Logged

LesPalenik

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5338
    • advantica blog
Re: This is Crazy!
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2020, 06:39:34 am »

I saw a spider on the ceiling.
Logged

Ray

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 10475
Re: This is Crazy!
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2020, 08:26:41 am »

That truly is amazing, Slobodan. Thanks for that.

I focused on the three colored dots for at least 30 seconds before raising my head to stare at the ceiling, which is painted white. After a fast blink I saw a sharp and well-processed, colored image of an attractive lady. The negative was turned into a positive. The image lasted for several seconds then gradually faded away. I tried it 3 times, and it worked every time.
Logged

fdisilvestro

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Online Online
  • Posts: 1892
    • Frank Disilvestro
Re: This is Crazy!
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2020, 08:55:43 am »

Optical illusions are fascinating!

kers

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4605
    • Pieter Kers
Re: This is Crazy!
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2020, 09:33:41 am »

wow!
Logged

elliot_n

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1219
Re: This is Crazy!
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2020, 09:52:31 am »

Nice!

(The coloured dots are a red herring.)
Logged

Alan Klein

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 15850
    • Flicker photos
Re: This is Crazy!
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2020, 10:20:38 am »

She's cute.

Ray

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 10475
Re: This is Crazy!
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2020, 10:48:14 am »

It would be fascinating to understand what's happening in the brain. The image as viewed on the screen is essentially a B&W negative, but is transformed into a color positive when viewed on the ceiling. I'm wondering if those who have not often practiced the development of prints from negatives in the wet darkroom, and/or the scanning of negatives and slides with a digital scanner, would experience the same transformation, from B&W negative to color positive, when raising their gaze to the ceiling.
Logged

Alan Klein

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 15850
    • Flicker photos
Re: This is Crazy!
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2020, 10:51:34 am »

It would be fascinating to understand what's happening in the brain. The image as viewed on the screen is essentially a B&W negative, but is transformed into a color positive when viewed on the ceiling. I'm wondering if those who have not often practiced the development of prints from negatives in the wet darkroom, and/or the scanning of negatives and slides with a digital scanner, would experience the same transformation, from B&W negative to color positive, when raising their gaze to the ceiling.
The brain doesn't "see" anything like it actually is. It's all interpretatively adjusted in consciousness which we can't describe either.  Try explaining the color purple to a blind person.

Eric Myrvaagnes

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 22813
  • http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: This is Crazy!
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2020, 11:32:13 am »

I've known for many years that if you stare at a contrasty image for a long time and then switch to staring at a blank white wall, the image will appear as a negative. Apparently staring at a fixed image causes something in the brain (or in the eye?) to try to "soften" the contrast, resulting in the negative version when you look at a plain wall.

Curiously, for my color-defective eyes (common red-green variety), when I stared at the three dots for 30 seconds and then at my white wall, I got a positive image of the girl, but to my eyes there was no color!

Maybe I needed her to wear a brighter lipstick.   ;)
Logged
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Slobodan Blagojevic

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 18209
  • When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: This is Crazy!
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2020, 01:38:50 pm »

Just to mention: my ceiling is a very dark gray, almost black, and I still see a color image of the girl clearly.

antoine_k

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 29
Re: This is Crazy!
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2020, 08:26:50 pm »

I followed the instruction and it didn't happen for me.  But then I looked back to my monitor and there she was.  Hmmm.
Logged
Anthony Kerstens.

LesPalenik

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5338
    • advantica blog
Re: This is Crazy!
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2020, 09:45:58 pm »

I tried it 5 times without a success. Must be the ceiling.
Slobodan, can you add her picture in color?
Logged

Alan Klein

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 15850
    • Flicker photos
Re: This is Crazy!
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2020, 09:54:36 pm »

I tried it 5 times without a success. Must be the ceiling.
Slobodan, can you add her picture in color?
I tried it 5 times without a success. Must be the ceiling.
Slobodan, can you add her picture in color?
Does your wife know what you're up too?

LesPalenik

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5338
    • advantica blog
Re: This is Crazy!
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2020, 10:22:44 pm »

Does your wife know what you're up too?

That must be it! If I were still married, I would see pictures of girls everywhere.
Logged

Alan Klein

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 15850
    • Flicker photos
Re: This is Crazy!
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2020, 10:34:33 pm »

That must be it! If I were still married, I would see pictures of girls everywhere.
Life's funny that way. :)

Ray

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 10475
Re: This is Crazy!
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2020, 10:39:18 pm »

The brain doesn't "see" anything like it actually is. It's all interpretatively adjusted in consciousness which we can't describe either.  Try explaining the color purple to a blind person.

That's a very profound philosophical statement, Alan.  :D

Of course, all perception, by whatever means, through any of the 6 senses, must be an interpretation. All acts of seeing, hearing, smelling, feeling, and thinking, require complex interpretations through the body's neural networks.

However, it's clear that such interpretations can differ among individuals, in accordance with the person's cultural background, genetic conditions, experiences and stored memories, which is why I wondered if someone who has never been involved in photographic image processing of film negatives could experience this imaginary conversion of a rather unappealing B&W negative, as viewed on the computer screen, to a well-processed, nicely colored, positive image of an attractive lady on the ceiling.  ;)
Logged

Alan Klein

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 15850
    • Flicker photos
Re: This is Crazy!
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2020, 10:42:03 pm »

That's a very profound philosophical statement, Alan.  :D

Of course, all perception, by whatever means, through any of the 6 senses, must be an interpretation. All acts of seeing, hearing, smelling, feeling, and thinking, require complex interpretations through the body's neural networks.

However, it's clear that such interpretations can differ among individuals, in accordance with the person's cultural background, genetic conditions, experiences and stored memories, which is why I wondered if someone who has never been involved in photographic image processing of film negatives could experience this imaginary conversion of a rather unappealing B&W negative, as viewed on the computer screen, to a well-processed, nicely colored, positive image of an attractive lady on the ceiling. ;)
Desperateness?

Ray

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 10475
Re: This is Crazy!
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2020, 11:58:43 pm »

Desperateness?

Not in my case. I'm usually very calm and don't worry about anything; not even Covid-19.  ;)
Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up