Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon Pro 2000 Ink Lost / Draining in Maintenance Tank  (Read 895 times)

rob_anders

Canon Pro 2000 Ink Lost / Draining in Maintenance Tank
« on: August 21, 2020, 11:40:36 pm »

Hi all

I have a Canon Pro 2000. Recently the Matte Black has clogged and has required a Head Clean which has fixed the problem I recently replaced the Matte Black with a new 700 ml cartridge and a new Maintenance tank Within a couple of weeks it was empty again after only a few short print runs. The ink it seems has drained into the Maintenance tank. The cartridge bay was clean and no other evidence of ink could be seen anywhere in the printer. The Maintenance tank is now about 30-50% full with the Matte Black ink with some ink on top of the tank itself.

Any printing I did in this time was clean and OK. Canon Australia was substandard for advice and I am out of warranty. Has anyone had this issue. The printer is always turned off after use and I doubt that much ink (700ml @ approx $350 AUD) is lost during any standard head clean. It seems a lot of ink drained into the tank whilst the printer was off.

Any advice would be most welcome

David Budd

Re: Canon Pro 2000 Ink Lost / Draining in Maintenance Tank
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2020, 03:25:39 am »

Hi Rob,

I have the same printer, but have not come across the problem that you are experiencing.

If I was you I would get in touch with the company you purchased it from and get them to
put pressure on their Canon Account Manager/Rep. From my own experience I found that far more productive
when I had a warranty issue, rather than contacting Canon Australia direct whose service is woeful.

Under the Australian Consumer Guarantee, even though the printer is out warranty you still have the right to pursue a claim...could be worth exploring.

Hope this is of some help.

-David

Panagiotis

• Fine Art Print
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2020, 01:53:28 pm »

Hi all

I have a Canon Pro 2000. Recently the Matte Black has clogged and has required a Head Clean which has fixed the problem I recently replaced the Matte Black with a new 700 ml cartridge and a new Maintenance tank Within a couple of weeks it was empty again after only a few short print runs. The ink it seems has drained into the Maintenance tank. The cartridge bay was clean and no other evidence of ink could be seen anywhere in the printer. The Maintenance tank is now about 30-50% full with the Matte Black ink with some ink on top of the tank itself.

Any printing I did in this time was clean and OK. Canon Australia was substandard for advice and I am out of warranty. Has anyone had this issue. The printer is always turned off after use and I doubt that much ink (700ml @ approx $350 AUD) is lost during any standard head clean. It seems a lot of ink drained into the tank whilst the printer was off.

Any advice would be most welcome

I have a PRO-4000 and I print a lot. 700 ml carts last for ages. Something is wrong with your machine.....Also don't turn it off.

IPDOUGLAS

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2020, 06:54:15 am »

The printer is always turned off after use and I doubt that much ink (700ml @ approx $350 AUD) is lost during any standard head clean. It seems a lot of ink drained into the tank whilst the printer was off.

If the Canon Imageprograf 2000 is anything like the Imageprograf 1000 then switching it off is a definite No-No!    The 1000 has a process that runs every 60 hours if it has not been used that in effect wastes lots of ink.  This process cannot be defeated in the software.  Switching the printer off and on again will trigger this process each time it is switched on again.  I experienced a similar loss of ink although less as cartridges are only 80ml each but across all colours in my case.  Since my mains power was unreliable I ended up buying an APU uninterruptable power supply unit and connected my printer to that.  I taped a cover over the on/off button to prevent switching off and set a reminder every 48 hours to print a nozzle check.  The ink usage (wastage) halted and went back to normal.  I suggest weighing an empty maintenance cartridge then weighing a full one.  That is your ink going in the waste bin!  It brings tears to my eyes.

However, all that being said 700ml down the pan seems excessive and more like a fault?   
In Vino Veritas

rob_anders

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2020, 10:26:21 pm »

Hi all

Updating developments with this issue.
After losing 700ml of matte black ink into the maintenance tank (no evidence of ink leaking elsewhere) I put in a 160 ml cartridge for printing.
After printing and turning off the printer (I do this as we have regular blackouts and electrical storm activity where we are) I put in the empty 700ml tank. When I am ready to print again I replace it with the 160 ml cartridge before turning it on
So far I am losing up to 5 drops of matte black ink which I capture (to check any leaking) at the top of the maintenance tank after each print session
I contacted Canon Australia several times and have to say the Tech Support process has been appalling. I am a 10 year + Canon customer and was shuffled around many times at first line Tech Support logging my call. I never got to speak to any technician as such. Luckily a very helpful person from Plotter City helped out and the information I got was a subtank seal leak. Canon could not provide a clear idea on the cost (anywhere from AUD $1800-$2500 inc. 3 hours return travel, 2-4 hours to replace subtank and any associated cleaning and could not even provide a part price to give a total amount.
As such given I paid $6500 aprox 3years ago and have used it modestly I am now asked to cough up to $2500+.
I am still productive with my own workaround - not ideal but the ink loss is manageable and won't break the bank. If I can continue hobbling along to get more life out of it it will be farewell to Canon and hello again to Epson. The Canon printer has been great until this issue developed but there should be a real rethink on how they treat loyal customers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up