Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: How Many Really Dont Know How to Cook?  (Read 2551 times)

JoeKitchen

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5080
How Many Really Dont Know How to Cook?
« on: August 21, 2020, 07:34:38 pm »

I am currently listening to a podcast on health and one of the biggest factors for bad health (according to the interviewee) is the lack of knowing how to cook.  I almost went to culinary school and cook as a hobby.  I was downtown today buying 3 lb of pork belly with the ribs on, 6 lb slab of bacon, the whole beef short rib skirt, caul fat, veal and beef bones (for a demi), vegis, cheese, etc., so this idea of never cooking is beyond foreign to me. 

Is this seriously a thing, not ever cooking or having an interest in doing so? 
Logged
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

fdisilvestro

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1892
    • Frank Disilvestro
Re: How Many Really Dont Know How to Cook?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2020, 07:58:08 pm »

I would say it is not a binary thing (cook or not cook) but a very broad spectrum from not cooking at all (which is completely normal IMHO) to world class cooking, not to mention the Dunning-Kruger affected in between.

LesPalenik

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5338
    • advantica blog
Re: How Many Really Dont Know How to Cook?
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2020, 09:35:19 pm »

I am currently listening to a podcast on health and one of the biggest factors for bad health (according to the interviewee) is the lack of knowing how to cook.  I almost went to culinary school and cook as a hobby.  I was downtown today buying 3 lb of pork belly with the ribs on, 6 lb slab of bacon, the whole beef short rib skirt, caul fat, veal and beef bones (for a demi), vegis, cheese, etc., so this idea of never cooking is beyond foreign to me. 

Is this seriously a thing, not ever cooking or having an interest in doing so?

Another big factor is to know WHAT to cook. Pork belly, bacon, fat, and cheese are some of the biggest factors for bad health, whether you went to a culinary school or not.

Logged

Robert Roaldi

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5516
    • Robert's Photos
Re: How Many Really Dont Know How to Cook?
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2020, 10:11:44 pm »

There's not much we learn through osmosis. Someone has to show it to you and that may not be happening anymore, or not as much anyway.

Several years ago now, I watched some filler bit on the evening news about a training session that some agency or other had organized for teenagers in some town. Sorry to be so vague but it was a while ago. I can't remember if it was in conjunction with a community centre or some other agency. The short clip was about a teacher who was showing a small group of kids how to wash and boil carrots and potatoes. They looked to be 16 to 18 or so, and they were learning for the FIRST time in their lives how to boil vegetables. They had never seen it done. They were taught other things too, but this segment was about vegetables. They interviewed one of the kids who said she had no idea that you could cook your own vegetables so easily. She thought it was something that could only be done using special machinery in a factory or restaurant.
Logged
--
Robert

JoeKitchen

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5080
Re: How Many Really Dont Know How to Cook?
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2020, 10:15:54 pm »

Another big factor is to know WHAT to cook. Pork belly, bacon, fat, and cheese are some of the biggest factors for bad health, whether you went to a culinary school or not.

You’re ruining my fun!  But I can bet my pork belly will be better for then a burger at a fast food joint, and only use the bacon a 1/3 lb at a time for flavor.  Slab bacon cut by hand into thick cubes just give so much mor flavor.

Really though I am into the French diet, not eating snacks and making food a social instead of a boredom passer, and I think that is the difference.  Add that to a braise and the flavor just explodes, even if everything else is vigatables.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 10:20:00 pm by JoeKitchen »
Logged
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

LesPalenik

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5338
    • advantica blog
Re: How Many Really Dont Know How to Cook?
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2020, 10:31:43 pm »

As I mentioned in another thread, a few days ago I purchased a hot air fryer which came with a 200 page cookbook. Most recipes are quite simple, and there are also many practical youtube videos how to prepare food in the air fryer.
Last night, I tried it on breaded zucchini slices, potato fries and kale chips. Fast cooking with a minimum amount of oil and very tasteful.
Logged

JoeKitchen

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5080
Re: How Many Really Dont Know How to Cook?
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2020, 11:32:46 pm »

As I mentioned in another thread, a few days ago I purchased a hot air fryer which came with a 200 page cookbook. Most recipes are quite simple, and there are also many practical youtube videos how to prepare food in the air fryer.
Last night, I tried it on breaded zucchini slices, potato fries and kale chips. Fast cooking with a minimum amount of oil and very tasteful.

Well ...

If you are cooking a single ingredient and only trying to exemplify the flavor of that one ingredient, then yes, I would have to agree that you can make a very flavorful dish without too much fat. 

The problem presents itself when you are making a dish with many different flavors you want to be blended in the final dish, and only fat makes that happen.  Fat has the peculiar property of absorbing the flavor of what is cooked in it and then transferring that flavor to what is next cooked in it, but then also absorbs the flavor of the 2nd object, which is then transferred to the 3rd and so on.  No other ingredient can make this happen, which is why a dish that is braised (which is involves searing all ingredients in a fat at the beginning and then slow cooking the entirety of ingredients with the fat still in the pot) produces a much better result then using a crook pot to cook the same recipe without any searing. 

It's the same reason french fries at a seafood restaurant take on the flavor of fish ... because they are cooked in the same oil as the fried fish. 

Think of a tomato sauce.  Will the sauce be decent with a similar texture made in a crook pot without searing any ingredients?  Yes.  Will it be as good or complex as searing all of the ingredients in a liberal amount of fat and then slow cooking the sauce?  Absolutely not!  The fat will absorb all of the flavors in the sear and then transfer those flavors throughout the braise, which will not happen with just a basic simmer. 

Crook pots are for amateurs; braising pots are for professionals. 

This is one of the first things I learned when working in a restaurant.  It is impossible to substitute the effect of fat in a dish, no matter what you do.  It adds complexity that can not be substituted no matter what extremes you go to. 

I might add, fats are not as bad as people make them out to be.  I regularly cook with different oils, butter, lard, and different kinds of tallow, and so long as you are not eating then wholesale they can be good for your health.  Processed complex carbs are much worse for you. 
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 11:40:41 pm by JoeKitchen »
Logged
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

JoeKitchen

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5080
Re: How Many Really Dont Know How to Cook?
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2020, 11:43:50 pm »

There's not much we learn through osmosis. Someone has to show it to you and that may not be happening anymore, or not as much anyway.


This pains me so much. 

There is no better and inviting way to share your culture with people then to cook them a meal. 
Logged
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

LesPalenik

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5338
    • advantica blog
Re: How Many Really Dont Know How to Cook?
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2020, 12:42:07 am »

If you are cooking a single ingredient and only trying to exemplify the flavor of that one ingredient, then yes, I would have to agree that you can make a very flavorful dish without too much fat. 

The problem presents itself when you are making a dish with many different flavors you want to be blended in the final dish, and only fat makes that happen.  Fat has the peculiar property of absorbing the flavor of what is cooked in it and then transferring that flavor to what is next cooked in it, but then also absorbs the flavor of the 2nd object, which is then transferred to the 3rd and so on.  No other ingredient can make this happen, which is why a dish that is braised (which is involves searing all ingredients in a fat at the beginning and then slow cooking the entirety of ingredients with the fat still in the pot) produces a much better result then using a crook pot to cook the same recipe without any searing. 

When I cook a vegetable soup or stew, I mix in 12-20 different ingredients, chopped into small pieces. They all blend wonderfully without oil and make a very flavourful dish.  Years ago, I used fat or oil for caramelizing onions and carrots, but now I saute them in water. Then I add the other ingredients, but no oil. I agree that a bit of oil wouldn't hurt, but that soup is so good that I don't miss the oil at all. Initially, I worried that my guests won't like such a soup, so I offered them usually only half a bowl to taste it, but without exception, they all like it, so now I give them always a full bowl.

For my all-vegetable soup, I use the following ingredients (I may omit some, depending on what I have in the fridge):
onions, garlic, celery, carrots, potatoes, mushrooms, green peppers, zucchini, eggplant, can of diced or whole tomatoes, apple, rhubarb or lemon, peas or corn, kale or swiss chard, and following herbs - dill, rosemary, basil, parsley, and spices - cumin, red paprika, black pepper, salt and cayenne or crushed chili peppers. At the serving time, I add a dollop of sour cream and finely chopped curly parsley. It is indeed a rather unusual soup (or stew) and for first-time samplers also a good conversation topic.

So, no, you don't need any oil to blend all these ingredients into one flavourful mix. The combination of all these ingredients and spices works very well. You have to try it - with and then without oil.

The stew uses similar ingredients, and sometimes also a plantain, okra or some kind of beans and it is served with pasta or rice. All cooked in one large pot, which will last up to one week or I freeze some of it.

You need one knife, one chopping board, one mixing spoon and one large pot. Washing the pots and bowls is also easier. The pots get never greasy from the fat or oil.
Logged

kers

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4605
    • Pieter Kers
Re: How Many Really Dont Know How to Cook?
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2020, 05:47:35 am »

I cook almost every evening my dinner- mostly from fresh ingredients. I don't eat much meat - about 500 grams a week i think.
Healthy cooking is eating unrefined ingredients, so less precooked stuff, like soup in cans.

There is this guy in Iceland : he bought a happy meal in mcDonalds.
He did not eat it, but kept it as a piece of art. After years it still looks the same . Nothing happened. It has nothing in it.
https://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-50262547

Still there are old people, mostly man, that still don't know how to boil a potatoe; hard to imagine for me - i cook since i was a teenager.
Logged

elliot_n

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1219
Re: How Many Really Dont Know How to Cook?
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2020, 08:57:09 am »

As I mentioned in another thread, a few days ago I purchased a hot air fryer which came with a 200 page cookbook. Most recipes are quite simple, and there are also many practical youtube videos how to prepare food in the air fryer.

That sounds like a solution in search of a problem. If you want to bake food, why not use your regular fan oven?
Logged

LesPalenik

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5338
    • advantica blog
Re: How Many Really Dont Know How to Cook?
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2020, 09:30:08 am »

That sounds like a solution in search of a problem. If you want to bake food, why not use your regular fan oven?

My oven doesn't have a fan. Besides, an air fryer circulates the air more rapidly inside a small chamber, speeding up the cooking process. Another advantage over the oven is the fact that on a hot summer day I can take the airfryer outside on the deck instead of heating up the kitchen with the oven.


Logged

JoeKitchen

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5080
Re: How Many Really Dont Know How to Cook?
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2020, 11:39:48 am »

When I cook a vegetable soup or stew, I mix in 12-20 different ingredients, chopped into small pieces. They all blend wonderfully without oil and make a very flavourful dish.  Years ago, I used fat or oil for caramelizing onions and carrots, but now I saute them in water. Then I add the other ingredients, but no oil. I agree that a bit of oil wouldn't hurt, but that soup is so good that I don't miss the oil at all. Initially, I worried that my guests won't like such a soup, so I offered them usually only half a bowl to taste it, but without exception, they all like it, so now I give them always a full bowl.

For my all-vegetable soup, I use the following ingredients (I may omit some, depending on what I have in the fridge):
onions, garlic, celery, carrots, potatoes, mushrooms, green peppers, zucchini, eggplant, can of diced or whole tomatoes, apple, rhubarb or lemon, peas or corn, kale or swiss chard, and following herbs - dill, rosemary, basil, parsley, and spices - cumin, red paprika, black pepper, salt and cayenne or crushed chili peppers. At the serving time, I add a dollop of sour cream and finely chopped curly parsley. It is indeed a rather unusual soup (or stew) and for first-time samplers also a good conversation topic.

So, no, you don't need any oil to blend all these ingredients into one flavourful mix. The combination of all these ingredients and spices works very well. You have to try it - with and then without oil.

The stew uses similar ingredients, and sometimes also a plantain, okra or some kind of beans and it is served with pasta or rice. All cooked in one large pot, which will last up to one week or I freeze some of it.

You need one knife, one chopping board, one mixing spoon and one large pot. Washing the pots and bowls is also easier. The pots get never greasy from the fat or oil.

I should have wrote that they would blend, just that it would not be as good or complex, and it never will. 
« Last Edit: August 22, 2020, 11:54:55 am by JoeKitchen »
Logged
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

PeterAit

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4647
    • Peter Aitken Photographs
Re: How Many Really Dont Know How to Cook?
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2020, 11:53:07 am »


You need one knife, .....


One knife? Bwahahaha!
Logged

Eric Myrvaagnes

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 22813
  • http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: How Many Really Dont Know How to Cook?
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2020, 11:59:04 am »

Well, with a name like "Kitchen," of course you had to be a good cook!   ;D

I have baked bread, made excellent whole-wheat pie crusts (my wife made the fillings,) and cooked a stew or two, but not much more than that.
Logged
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

JoeKitchen

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5080
Re: How Many Really Dont Know How to Cook?
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2020, 01:38:23 pm »

Well, with a name like "Kitchen," of course you had to be a good cook!   ;D

I have baked bread, made excellent whole-wheat pie crusts (my wife made the fillings,) and cooked a stew or two, but not much more than that.

Whole Wheat pie crust, that must be difficult to handle without it totally falling apart. 

On another note, any ideas of what to do with left over bacon skin?  I usually just toss it, but thinking I have enough to do something with it. 
Logged
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

elliot_n

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1219
Re: How Many Really Dont Know How to Cook?
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2020, 02:52:51 pm »

On another note, any ideas of what to do with left over bacon skin? 

Fry it.
Logged

LesPalenik

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5338
    • advantica blog
Re: How Many Really Dont Know How to Cook?
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2020, 03:04:27 pm »

Whole Wheat pie crust, that must be difficult to handle without it totally falling apart. 

On another note, any ideas of what to do with left over bacon skin?  I usually just toss it, but thinking I have enough to do something with it.

You can use it to supplement your dog's dry food.
Logged

Eric Myrvaagnes

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 22813
  • http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: How Many Really Dont Know How to Cook?
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2020, 07:52:47 pm »

I should have said mostly whole wheat. I always used a modest amount of white flour to hold the dough together.
Logged
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Alan Klein

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 15850
    • Flicker photos
Re: How Many Really Dont Know How to Cook?
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2020, 09:14:52 pm »

Another big factor is to know WHAT to cook. Pork belly, bacon, fat, and cheese are some of the biggest factors for bad health, whether you went to a culinary school or not.


Don't cook all that bad food.  Stay healthy and eat at McDonalds.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up