Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tethering getting slower?  (Read 829 times)

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
Tethering getting slower?
« on: August 19, 2020, 01:23:46 pm »

I have been shooting tethered with an EOS R and my Dell XPS15 2-in-1 since January of 2019. I always shoot RAW+mJPEG (Normal) since it's much faster and easier than creating JPEGs on the fly. (My clients only use JPEGs for initial layout and editing after which they give me selects.) Until Fall of 2019, transfers were pretty quick -- about 1.25 - 1.5 sec per image. I should relatively quickly, but images were rarely more than about 4 or 5 behind what I actually shot. The last fall, I started seeing an increased slowness in transfers and rendering. On average, I started running 10-15 images behind. It now takes about 2.5+ sec per image to shoot, transfer and render. The issue doesn't matter as much to me (the shooter) as to my tech and to the client who, unfortunately, is more engrossed in the computer screen than what I'm actually shooting. (Sometimes I miss the film days.) One thing I have noticed is that the transfers speed up when I stop shooting. This was not the case originally -- the speed was the same regardless.

Has anyone else noticed that tethered shooting seems to have slowed down quite a bit?

Rado

Re: Tethering getting slower?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2020, 05:00:44 pm »

Which version of C1 are you using? The initial release of v12 had slow tethering with EOS R but the 12.0.2 update fixed it and still works as fast as ever for me. I have not upgraded to C13/20. Also try different usb cables.

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
Re: Tethering getting slower?
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2020, 05:58:09 pm »

Yes, an early R supported version back in January 2019 was dog slow -- about 4 to 5 seconds per image. But I received an early update on that and it fixed the speed. I'm running version 13.1.1.
Pages: [1]   Go Up