Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Washington Cover-Up  (Read 960 times)

Chris Kern

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2206
    • Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
Washington Cover-Up
« on: August 16, 2020, 04:20:31 pm »

For the last couple of weeks, I've been making my way through my Lightroom catalog, looking for files with potential that I never bothered to post-process, and using the current toolset to improve my earlier processing of some of the others.  Along the way, I discovered that I managed to document several iconic Washington buildings and monuments while they were under renovation and covered with scaffolding.  Seems some part of the national capital is always in need of repair.  (No political metaphor intended, of course.)

Washington Monument, August, 2013:




Smithsonian Institution Arts and Industries Building, August, 2013:




Capitol Building Dome, November, 2013:




Capitol Building, January, 2016:




National Air and Space Museum, June, 2020:

faberryman

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4851
Re: Washington Cover-Up
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2020, 04:28:42 pm »

The National Air and Space Museum looks like a shipping crate. Did someone really get paid to design it?
Logged

Chris Kern

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2206
    • Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
Re: Washington Cover-Up
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2020, 04:42:53 pm »

The National Air and Space Museum looks like a shipping crate. Did someone really get paid to design it?

Don't judge a book by its cover: you're looking at the scaffolding and construction coverings used during the restoration.

It's actually a series of seven enormous connected blocks stretching along Independence Avenue between 4th and 7th Streets, S.W.  The site—just south of the National Mall and in view of the Capitol Building—was previously used as a parking lot.

It's not the most attractive monumental building in Washington, but in this case form must follow function.  Those huge structures are needed to contain the aircraft and spacecraft that sit at floor level and hang from the ceilings.

I've never tried to capture of photo of the whole thing from street level, but I've attached a picture I snarfed from the Smithsonian Institution website.

Peter McLennan

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4692
Re: Washington Cover-Up
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2020, 09:22:27 pm »

Regarding the Air and Space Museum, it's what's inside that counts.  A superb institution and the most-visited museum in DC, if I recall correctly.

Chris, that's a great idea for a series and a great title.  Kudos!
Logged

Craig Lamson

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3264
    • Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
Re: Washington Cover-Up
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2020, 10:29:58 pm »

Don't judge a book by its cover: you're looking at the scaffolding and construction coverings used during the restoration.

It's actually a series of seven enormous connected blocks stretching along Independence Avenue between 4th and 7th Streets, S.W.  The site—just south of the National Mall and in view of the Capitol Building—was previously used as a parking lot.

It's not the most attractive monumental building in Washington, but in this case form must follow function.  Those huge structures are needed to contain the aircraft and spacecraft that sit at floor level and hang from the ceilings.

I've never tried to capture of photo of the whole thing from street level, but I've attached a picture I snarfed from the Smithsonian Institution website.

Nice images btw. 

While it’s a great place, if you really want to view a much larger selection of military and Presidential aircraft, the US Air Force museum at Wright Paterson airbase in Dayton Oh is a far better choice

https://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/
Logged
Craig Lamson Photo

Chris Kern

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2206
    • Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
Re: Washington Cover-Up
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2020, 09:15:01 am »

Regarding the Air and Space Museum, it's what's inside that counts.  A superb institution and the most-visited museum in DC, if I recall correctly.

Chris, that's a great idea for a series and a great title.  Kudos!

Thanks.  For many years, I worked across the street from the downtown Air and Space museum.  I often went over for a short walk and a look at the exhibits after lunch.

The museum remains closed because of the pandemic, but the companion Udvar-Hazy Center facility near Dulles International Airport in Virginia has reopened with timed visitor passes.

Chris Kern

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2206
    • Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
Re: Washington Cover-Up
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2020, 09:15:46 am »

While it’s a great place, if you really want to view a much larger selection of military and Presidential aircraft, the US Air Force museum at Wright Paterson airbase in Dayton Oh is a far better choice

The two museums complement each other well.  The National Air and Space Museum (two facilities, one in downtown Washington and the other in suburban Virginia near Dulles International Airport) documents the entire history of aviation and spaceflight.  The National Museum of the U.S. Air Force concentrates on military aviation.

The exhibits at the latter include the iconic B-17E bomber Memphis Belle.  I posted a photo essay describing the painstaking restoration process in 2009 and a follow-up report in 2015.  (Additional pictures from my 2015 visit are available here.)  The restored aircraft was put on display in May, 2018.

Craig Lamson

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3264
    • Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
Re: Washington Cover-Up
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2020, 09:51:19 am »

The two museums complement each other well.  The National Air and Space Museum (two facilities, one in downtown Washington and the other in suburban Virginia near Dulles International Airport) documents the entire history of aviation and spaceflight.  The National Museum of the U.S. Air Force concentrates on military aviation.

The exhibits at the latter include the iconic B-17E bomber Memphis Belle.  I posted a photo essay describing the painstaking restoration process in 2009 and a follow-up report in 2015.  (Additional pictures from my 2015 visit are available here.)  The restored aircraft was put on display in May, 2018.

I took my 90 YO Dad to see the Memphis Bell last year. They did a wonderful job of restoring that aircraft.
Logged
Craig Lamson Photo

Peter McLennan

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4692
Re: Washington Cover-Up
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2020, 10:32:30 am »

Nice images btw. 

While it’s a great place, if you really want to view a much larger selection of military and Presidential aircraft, the US Air Force museum at Wright Paterson airbase in Dayton Oh is a far better choice


Thanks.  I drove across the continent to visit the USAF museum.

https://spark.adobe.com/page/0McWFgnfSgirE/


Logged

Alan Klein

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 15850
    • Flicker photos
Re: Washington Cover-Up
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2020, 01:03:09 pm »

Nice shots Peter.  I'd like to have the scaffolding contracts. 

James Clark

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2347
Re: Washington Cover-Up
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2020, 01:51:13 pm »

Great set of shots, Chris.  One of my own favorites is very similar - I loved the contrast of the mythical figure holding the world while the western church was rebuilt in mine :)

 
Logged

Craig Lamson

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3264
    • Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
Re: Washington Cover-Up
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2020, 02:13:31 pm »

Thanks.  I drove across the continent to visit the USAF museum.

https://spark.adobe.com/page/0McWFgnfSgirE/

Its a short drive for me and I go every few years to soak it all in.  I never take photos on these trips :)
Logged
Craig Lamson Photo

Peter McLennan

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4692
Re: Washington Cover-Up
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2020, 03:34:10 pm »

Nice shots Peter.  I'd like to have the scaffolding contracts.

I didn't shoot the scaffolding pix.  Chris (the OP) did.
Logged

Alan Klein

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 15850
    • Flicker photos
Re: Washington Cover-Up
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2020, 04:07:34 pm »

Nice shots Chris.
Pages: [1]   Go Up