Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which way to jump?  (Read 1335 times)

Jonathan Cross

Which way to jump?
« on: August 07, 2020, 07:54:12 am »

I have an iPhone 5s, which is getting in need of replacement. I do not want to change to Android as I am happy with the iPhone system.

I also have 3 Fuji X-series bodies and a selection of zoom and prime lenses.  One body is an X-E3 (bought used but in nearly new condition) to which I attach either the 35mm f2, or the 50mm f2.  This is the setup I have with me most of the time as it fits my shoulder bag and leaves space.

My choice of phone is the new SE, an 11pro (not the max as it is too big), or wait for the iPhone 12, which probably will be released in the autumn.  Cost/benefit is a consideration.  Give that the best camera is the one with you at the time, can anyone help me decide what to do?

Do I need a better phone camera than the SE when I have the X-E3 (+ 2 X-Ts)?  Is the low light performance of the iPhones worth it for those dusk images?  Is the DR of the iPhones good enough?  Do I need to spend more for the 11 or 12 when all the phones have 12Mp cameras and I have 24 or 26Mp cameras.

Decisions, decisions!  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Best wishes,

Jonathan

Jonathan in UK

kers

• Pieter Kers
Re: Which way to jump?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2020, 09:44:30 am »

Two different animals.
About buying a phone ; better wait for the iPhone 12
Better camera and the others will be reduced in price.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
Re: Which way to jump?
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2020, 06:21:23 pm »

I was recently in the same situation and I settled for the Iphone 11 Pro (not max). I was coming from an iphone 7 Plus, which started to have low battery life issues.
Of course that the new model will have something better, and that is the way of thechnology.

Compared to the Iphone 7 Plus, the 11 is much faster, can record video 4K at 60fps and 1080p at 240 compared to 4K at 30fps and HD at 120fps.
Using LR mobile, HDR and long exposure are processed much faster.
Having said that, the image quality is not much different, not because the new one is not good but because it was already very good with the 7 Plus.

One of the reasons I settled for the 11 pro was for the 3 lenses. The only thing I don't like is that you cannot take raw photos with the super wide angle.

Overall, I'm satisfied with it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up