Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Writing on Back of Canson Baryta Photographique Prints  (Read 1069 times)

Photolandscape

Writing on Back of Canson Baryta Photographique Prints
« on: August 02, 2020, 07:18:12 am »

I sometimes need to rubber stamp (with archival ink) a small logo with my name, copyright, date and image # on the back of prints on Canson Baryta Photographique prints. I have tried different pencils to write the image number, date, and/or signature on the back of prints. The graphite doesn’t seem to work well and the writing is barely visible. I don’t want to press too hard and risk debossing the print. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

mearussi

Re: Writing on Back of Canson Baryta Photographique Prints
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2020, 09:50:16 am »

I sometimes need to rubber stamp (with archival ink) a small logo with my name, copyright, date and image # on the back of prints on Canson Baryta Photographique prints. I have tried different pencils to write the image number, date, and/or signature on the back of prints. The graphite doesn’t seem to work well and the writing is barely visible. I don’t want to press too hard and risk debossing the print. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Unfortunately, that's the nature of Alpha-Cellulose, which is one reason why I avoid any paper that uses it as a base. 100% cotton papers are very easy to write on with a pencil. Have you tried a very soft leaded pencil?

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2020, 12:59:41 pm »

Would a sticky label offend the archival purists?

Jeremy

MHMG

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2020, 01:29:10 pm »

Unfortunately, that's the nature of Alpha-Cellulose, which is one reason why I avoid any paper that uses it as a base. 100% cotton papers are very easy to write on with a pencil. Have you tried a very soft leaded pencil?

It's not the alpha-cellulose base sheet nor the traditional sizings applied during the paper making stage that's the culprit here. It's the very funky anti-curl coating applied to the verso of Canson Baryta Photographique (and it's rebranded counterparts) which doesn't provide proper tooth for writing with pencil. To underscore this point, many writing papers on the market today are comprised mainly of alpha cellulose rather than 100% cotton, and they are intended to be written on with either pen or pencil.

Due to the nature of the back coating on Canson Baryta Photographique (and this holds to for the newer version II as well) one will need to use pigmented pens like Sakura Pigma Micron, Staedtler Pigment liner, or even a permanent dye marker like Staedtler Lumocolor to write on the verso of any inkjet papers with polymer type anti-curl coatings. These media include most if not all RC photo papers as well. FWIW, the Staedtler LumoColor pens seem to dry fastest and adhere with less smudging on plastic surfaces compared to most pigment based pens.

Other fine art media with an alpha-cellulose base takes a #2 pencil quite well, for example, Hahnemuhle Fineart Baryta Satin because they retain much more of the sized paper surface on the verso compared to Canson Baryta Photographique and its look-alike competition.

cheers,
Mark
http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com

Jeffrey Saldinger

• Jeffrey Saldinger
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2020, 03:36:44 pm »

I bought a set of the Sakura markers; the variation in point sizes has been useful.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0008G8G8Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Jeffrey
Astoria, New York
www.jeffreysaldinger.com

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2020, 07:46:29 pm »

Would a sticky label offend the archival purists?

There are many adhesive label products on the market that claim to have archival properties.

mearussi

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2020, 10:31:35 pm »

It's not the alpha-cellulose base sheet nor the traditional sizings applied during the paper making stage that's the culprit here. It's the very funky anti-curl coating applied to the verso of Canson Baryta Photographique (and it's rebranded counterparts) which doesn't provide proper tooth for writing with pencil. To underscore this point, many writing papers on the market today are comprised mainly of alpha cellulose rather than 100% cotton, and they are intended to be written on with either pen or pencil.

Due to the nature of the back coating on Canson Baryta Photographique (and this holds to for the newer version II as well) one will need to use pigmented pens like Sakura Pigma Micron, Staedtler Pigment liner, or even a permanent dye marker like Staedtler Lumocolor to write on the verso of any inkjet papers with polymer type anti-curl coatings. These media include most if not all RC photo papers as well. FWIW, the Staedtler LumoColor pens seem to dry fastest and adhere with less smudging on plastic surfaces compared to most pigment based pens.

Other fine art media with an alpha-cellulose base takes a #2 pencil quite well, for example, Hahnemuhle Fineart Baryta Satin because they retain much more of the sized paper surface on the verso compared to Canson Baryta Photographique and its look-alike competition.

cheers,
Mark
http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com
Thanks for the clarification Mark. I tend to avoid Alpha-Cellulose anyway due to the very stiff nature of the paper--I feel like I'm printing on cardboard.

dkoretz

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2020, 09:53:33 am »

The Pigma Micron 005 (0.20mm) and 01 (.25mm) are also what I use to sign on the front of coated papers, including the Canson Baryta papers. I bought a set but ended up  using only these two for signatures.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2020, 11:51:34 am »

I bought a set of the Sakura pens several years ago when someone on LuLa recommended them. They are superb for writing on front or back of any paper I've used.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)
Pages: [1]   Go Up