Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hahnemuehle Photo Rag Pearl Profile - Epson R2400 - Problems with colour cast  (Read 609 times)

Dinarius

Windows 10 x64
Epson R2400

I'm proofing an image for printing on Hahnemuehle PRPearl via Photoshop 2020.

I have side-by-side duplicate images set up.

The monitor is calibrated 120/2.2/6500

When I apply the Hahnemuehle PRPearl profile to the print image, the change is very subtle. The image itself contains extremely muted tones, except for one area that is a strong turquoise blue.

I have brightened the image slightly before printing via curves.

Photoshop is managing colour, not the printer.

The print I'm getting has a faint green/blue cast all over that doesn't look good. It takes from what saturated colour there is in the image.

I'm only an occasional printer, so I may be missing a trick here.

But, how can I correct for something that is clearly not appearing on my screen, but only in the print?

Thanks.

D.

FabienP

If you are using the canned profile supplied by Hannemühle, and assuming everything is set correctly, it could mean that your printer differs sensibly from the one that was used for profile generation.

You could try having a custom profile being made for your printer. There are a couple of suppliers of such services if you don't have access to a spectrometer to do this by yourself.

But it would be interesting to see what other people suggest before doing this.

Cheers,
Fabien

Dinarius

Thanks.

The best way I can describe what I’m seeing is if I had corrected the white balance of the image and was seeing a slight blue cast.

Do third-party inks affect profiles? I have a couple of cartridges which are not Epson.

D.

kers

• Pieter Kers

Thanks.

The best way I can describe what I’m seeing is if I had corrected the white balance of the image and was seeing a slight blue cast.

Do third-party inks affect profiles? I have a couple of cartridges which are not Epson.

D.

I guess they do- but what they certainly do is put in another factor of incertainty.
That is why i do not use them.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

ColourPhil

• Colour Management by Phil Cruse

Thanks.

D.
They don't 'affect' profiles, as such, but the profiles would have been made from colour charts printed with genuine Epson inks, and even these may not always be accurate for your printer. So the profile affects your print.
Third party inks cannot possibly be expected to have the exact same colour as genuine OEM ink. Even IF their manufacturers had the same standard of R&D as Epson it would be extremely difficult or impossible to match the OEM inks spectral composition, etc. exactly. If they're made in a back-street basement however?
Unfortunately, you get what you pay for!
Have you tried printing a 'standard' image with no correction?
Cheers,
Phil

Dinarius

Thanks.

I will try other paper and see. It may be the printer/profile/paper combo.

By the way, the link to your site in your signature doesn't work.

D.

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com

If I understand you correctly you have a mixture of third party and oem inks in the printer at the same time?
I am a big advocate of third party inks but never mix them with oem. Your profile would be worthless with that ink combination.

ColourPhil

• Colour Management by Phil Cruse

Thanks.

I will try other paper and see. It may be the printer/profile/paper combo.

By the way, the link to your site in your signature doesn't work.

D.
Hi Dinarius,
Thanks for the update on the Link. Fixed now :)

Dinarius

Sorted now.

Just took some experimentation.

Mixed inks working fine for me. But, I'm looking for an image I'm happy with - very close to what I'm seeing on the monitor - rather than exactly what I'm seeing on the monitor.

PR Pearl is lovely paper. More subtle than Baryta.

Thanks for the feedback.

D.

enduser

At "Printer Knowledge" someone said that Canon ink remnants in a cart filled with 3rd partyink will form a gell.
Pages: [1]   Go Up