Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Welninski video dissapointment  (Read 2996 times)

mdijb

• mdiimaging.com
Welninski video dissapointment
« on: July 28, 2020, 10:26:05 pm »

I purchase Jim Welninski's series on B+B processing called the "Advanced B+W Course' in 2019.  It was a very good series with lots of techniques explained.  He recently released a new series called the "Extended B+W COURSE' which I bought.  He offered it at a much reduced price because he warned that there was some duplication of content taken from the prior course.  After viewing the whole series, I found that there was almost no new material at all.  He even used the same images that were in the prior series and no new techniques were demonstrated at all.  Watching him burn and dodge for an hour on an old image that he demoed before was the almost the entire content of this new series . The new series offered some videos yet to be seen or supplied.  Paying $67 for a course with nothing new was a great dissapointment and clearly not worth the cost.

I have written to him 4 different times to complain and requested a refund and have not been given the courtesy of a reply.  I believe there some illness in the family but is has been a month with no response from him.

Therefore I recommend one NOT purchase the new series.  If you do want to learn his methods, buy the prior video series only--do not waste your money on his new offering.

MDIJB
mdiimaging.com

myotis

Re: Welninski video dissapointment
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2020, 12:12:54 pm »

Paying $67 for a course with nothing new was a great dissapointment and clearly not worth the cost.

It was Jim who was ill, and I got an email from his daughter explaining the illness and apologising for the delay in getting the lessons and webinar part of the course up and running, which I assume was sent to everyone on the course.

The new course comes with 5 hours of additional videos compared to the old one, plus four live training webinars, which have additional videos, lesson materials and Q&A sessions associated with each webinar. The webinars are also going to be recorded and made available to all course members.

I have no special insight into what is going on with the course, just summarising the information provided to me as someone who signed up for the same course as you are referring to.

I thought it was a pretty good deal for $67, maybe you have missed some of the  course information.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 12:30:27 pm by myotis »

mdijb

• mdiimaging.com
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2020, 02:55:22 pm »

I downloaded and viewed all the material that was available.  If the new, yet to come, videos are as bad as the others, the dissapointment will be greater.

MDIJB
mdiimaging.com

myotis

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2020, 03:23:50 pm »

I downloaded and viewed all the material that was available.  If the new, yet to come, videos are as bad as the others, the dissapointment will be greater.

MDIJB

You should already have 5 hours of new videos (included in the first download), plus over an hour of two more videos made available last Thursday. Along with the timetable for the rest of the course.

But I'm puzzled if you thought the  videos from the original course were that bad, why did you sign up for the updated course ?

I do however agree there is some repetition across the four course BWA, BWA extended, BWA advanced and the Beyond Composition  course, but the exact details and context tends to be slightly different and it could be seen as reinforcement rather than repetition.

I actually find watching the "full" edits useful (if a bit tedious), including his mistakes as it gives a more realistic view of his process than watching the perfectly rehearsed manicured videos that you often get.

But if you are unhappy, you are unhappy. I would try emailing again as he has been ill for several weeks now and it seems it was only the end of last week that he was back in circulation. Maybe back too early, as the first pre-webinar lesson due yesterday hasn't materialised.

Cheers,

Graham

David Luery

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2020, 02:08:10 pm »

I have found Jim Welninski's B&W Artistry and Advanced B&W Artistry interesting and valuable, but I was not aware of any new B&W course.  I just went to his website, and could not find a link to the new course.  I do understand from prior comments in this thread that he has had some health problems, but if someone could post a link to the new course, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

myotis

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2020, 04:04:00 pm »

but if someone could post a link to the new course, I would appreciate it.

I'm not going to be much help here, as I couldn't find the course on his website either. 

It looks as if the OP and I both signed up via an email offering the course to people who had already taken Jim's BWA extended course.

The second of the four live webinars of the BWA extended "plus" course is tomorrow, so maybe he got enough participants from the email not to advertise it on his website. But I assume it will be advertised after its had its first run through.

He has been ill and had some email problems, but it might be worth while trying to email him now.

Cheers,

Graham

OutdoorsLover

• For the love of Photography!
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2020, 03:37:59 pm »

I'm curious which app(s) he uses in his courses, to process his black & white images, and if the instruction translates to other applications? I saw a YouTube video by Blake Rudis of the ƒ64 academy, who is touting and using Jim's method's to process a B&W image, and he strictly uses Photoshop. Years ago, I switched away from Adobe products and now use Capture One and Affinity Photo to post process all of my images.

Cheers!
Pages: [1]   Go Up