Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fujifilm primes or zoom for landscapes  (Read 2336 times)

flyfishman2010

Fujifilm primes or zoom for landscapes
« on: July 24, 2020, 02:42:37 pm »

I have an X-T20 and take mostly landscapes. I value high resolution over aperture and am trying to decide between the 16-55 f/2.8 versus the f/2 primes (23,35,50). If the images from the zoom are as sharp as the primes I would go for the zoom. Is f/2.8 zoom close in image quality? Any advice?

rdonson

Re: Fujifilm primes or zoom for landscapes
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2020, 05:32:37 pm »

I can't speak for the primes you listed but I do own and use several Fuji zooms and enjoy each of them.  The last 3 are Fuji "Red badge" zooms and are excellent.

• 10-24
    • 16-55
    • 50-140
    • 100-400

You might be able to gain more information here:  https://www.imaging-resource.com/lenses/fujinon/reviews/
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 05:37:12 pm by rdonson »
Regards,
Ron

Jonathan Cross

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2020, 06:20:45 pm »

This is very difficult as there are personal aspects.  My travel lenses are the 18-55 and 55-200 because of size, comparative light weight and they give good results.  I have a selection of primes, among them the 35 and 50 f2.  I tend to use them on a X-E3 as my always with me setup.  They give very good results.  My best primes, however are the 56mm and 90mm. The 56 gives brilliant results on an X-T3.

I have not tried the f2.8 zooms as I believe them to be bigger and heavier, but most people say they give even better results.  The 35 and 50 f2 on the E3 are a very portable, neat package.

You say you want to take landscapes.  Will you hike? Are size, weight and balance on your camera body considerations?  Are you into wide angle landscapes, or do detail landscapes with longer lenses? Personally I like zooms for landscapes as when I find a viewpoint, it can be hard to shift position to get the coverage I want with a prime.

Only you know the answer to these questions.

Best wishes,
Jonathan
Jonathan in UK

flyfishman2010

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2020, 10:34:59 pm »

This is very difficult as there are personal aspects.  My travel lenses are the 18-55 and 55-200 because of size, comparative light weight and they give good results.  I have a selection of primes, among them the 35 and 50 f2.  I tend to use them on a X-E3 as my always with me setup.  They give very good results.  My best primes, however are the 56mm and 90mm. The 56 gives brilliant results on an X-T3.

I have not tried the f2.8 zooms as I believe them to be bigger and heavier, but most people say they give even better results.  The 35 and 50 f2 on the E3 are a very portable, neat package.

You say you want to take landscapes.  Will you hike? Are size, weight and balance on your camera body considerations?  Are you into wide angle landscapes, or do detail landscapes with longer lenses? Personally I like zooms for landscapes as when I find a viewpoint, it can be hard to shift position to get the coverage I want with a prime.

Only you know the answer to these questions.

Best wishes,
Jonathan

Sorry, I ask to broad a question. For this discussion all I’m wondering is if the primes listed will be sharper and have better contrast then the listed zoom at around the same focal lengths.

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2020, 01:58:40 am »

Sorry, I ask to broad a question. For this discussion all I’m wondering is if the primes listed will be sharper and have better contrast then the listed zoom at around the same focal lengths.

The 16-55 is certainly sharp enough.

DP

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2020, 05:12:57 am »

1) you can see resolution testes for fuji lenses at several sites (lenstip, opticallimits, etc)

2) your copies of any lens might be better or worse than the lenses tested

3) your shooting technique, etc in the field might make all those things irrelevant

4) zoom will be always more convenient (wide angle one shot)

PBC

• http://www.philcorley.com
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2020, 06:30:27 am »

One thing to remember with landscapes; it is not always possible to “zoom with your feet”.   So in those situations a zoom will allow you to fine turn your composition without falling into a river 😄

flyfishman2010

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2020, 04:32:57 pm »

1) you can see resolution testes for fuji lenses at several sites (lenstip, opticallimits, etc)

After several hours reading the reviews at optical limits I have decided to go with the f/2 primes rather than the 16-55 f2/8. I think they will work best for me and complement my existing lenses. But, that’s me. YMMV. Thanks to all the responded to my posts.

DP

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2020, 09:25:10 pm »

After several hours reading the reviews at optical limits I have decided to go with the f/2 primes rather than the 16-55 f2/8. I think they will work best for me and complement my existing lenses. But, that’s me. YMMV. Thanks to all the responded to my posts.
you might want to read more than just optical limits though... lenstip is a great site too... and I think Fuji lenses were also tested elsewhere, some @ https://www.imaging-resource.com/lenses/tag/x-mount/

Petrus

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2020, 06:53:52 am »

I have the three f/2.8 zooms from 10 to 150mm and have ended up not using my set of f/1.2-1.4 primes at all when travelling. Absolute sharpness at full open is mostly a moot point, as for landscape shots lenses are usually stopped down to f/5.6-8 at least anyway (sharpest resolution for APS-C because of diffraction), and there differences are minuscule or none.

Longer 55-200mm zoom has been a disappointment, unsharp at one corner at infinity, works only as a clandestine portrait lens. Have not bothered to have it fixed.

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2020, 06:20:57 pm »

I have an X-T20 and take mostly landscapes. I value high resolution over aperture and am trying to decide between the 16-55 f/2.8 versus the f/2 primes (23,35,50). If the images from the zoom are as sharp as the primes I would go for the zoom. Is f/2.8 zoom close in image quality?

Since you're mostly shooting landscapes and resolution is more important to you than maximum aperture, you probably will be stopping down to f/5.6 or even f/8.0, and you might want to consider the 18-55mm f/2.8-4.0 as your zoom option.  It's small, light, optically-stabilized—and assuming you get a good sample, I doubt you would find its resolution, contrast, or color significantly different than the 16-55mm.  It's the best "kit" lens I've ever owned.

I'm also quite partial to the 10-24mm f/4.0.  It's quite sharp for an ultrawide zoom (see the attachments, which were shot with an X-T2).  I often carry it along with the 18-55mm, and when I'm traveling I include the 55-200mm.  Bulk and weight are important considerations for me, which is why I migrated to Fuji from full-frame Nikon.  (I tend to avoid carrying multiple primes, but the three f/2.0 "Fujicrons" do make a nice set.)

I think Fuji has good quality control in its lens manufacturing process, but there is always going to be some sample variation.  Buy from a retailer that will replace a lens for you without penalty if you're not satisfied with the first one you get.

James Clark

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2020, 09:59:11 pm »

Since you're mostly shooting landscapes and resolution is more important to you than maximum aperture, you probably will be stopping down to f/5.6 or even f/8.0, and you might want to consider the 18-55mm f/2.8-4.0 as your zoom option.  It's small, light, optically-stabilized—and assuming you get a good sample, I doubt you would find its resolution, contrast, or color significantly different than the 16-55mm.  It's the best "kit" lens I've ever owned.

I'm also quite partial to the 10-24mm f/4.0.  It's quite sharp for an ultrawide zoom (see the attachments, which were shot with an X-T2).  I often carry it along with the 18-55mm, and when I'm traveling I include the 55-200mm.  Bulk and weight are important considerations for me, which is why I migrated to Fuji from full-frame Nikon.  (I tend to avoid carrying multiple primes, but the three f/2.0 "Fujicrons" do make a nice set.)

I think Fuji has good quality control in its lens manufacturing process, but there is always going to be some sample variation.  Buy from a retailer that will replace a lens for you without penalty if you're not satisfied with the first one you get.

Your 10-24 absolutely crushes mine (which is hideous in the corners and edges)  but my 16-55 and 8-16 are the equal of almost any of my Canon L lenses.  To answer the OP question, I wouldn’t hesitate to pack just my 8-16, 16-55 and my xt4.  Without IBIS it’s a tougher call.  I’d go with the 16-80 probably, or a 3 prime set (unless I was ok taking a tripod everywhere)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 10:02:50 pm by James Clark »

JaapD

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2020, 02:23:57 pm »

Based on own experiences as well as tests from Lenstip and Imaging-Resource the 8-16, 16-55 and 50-140 do not underperform at f/5.6 and f/8 w.r.t. fixed focal range lenses. Even at their edges.
I do need depth of field in my landscape shots so unfortunately have no use for any possibly better performing fast lenses wide open (although I do like them!).

Cheers,
Jaap.

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2020, 02:29:29 pm »

I own most of the Fuji X lenses. The 16-55 is plenty sharp enough for me for landscape work. However, it took two tries to get one that was sharp enough, the first had odd softness on one side/corner, looked a lot like a decentered element.

I do prefer zooms for landscape, as I want to be very precise in my framing and composition.

If your primary goal is resolution, then the GFX system would provide more of that. I've transitioned most of my landscape work to that system, using the 32-64 and 100-200 zooms along with the 23mm.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/
Pages: [1]   Go Up