Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Breaking (up) News – Apple moving away from Intel  (Read 630 times)

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
Breaking (up) News – Apple moving away from Intel
« on: July 23, 2020, 02:19:44 pm »

I thought this was a great article and overview of the development of the various OSes and their chips.

I, however, would not trust Apple. They have used four (with the new ARM) chips for their computers varying degrees of success. Only with the adoption of Intel CPUs has there been some form of consistency as well as  the ability to use off-the-shelf parts in many cases. (I added a USB 3.0 card to my wife's 10-year old Desktop Pro without missing a beat.)

I think the true underlying reasons for the CPU change have more to do with UI and general user experience. Windows users have had a true touch interface with a powerful OS for years. Apple, you had a choice of a powerful OS (OS X) with no touch or the comparatively anemic iOS devices with touch. I believe this is an effort to merge the two, but if the iPad Pro is any indication, I'm not convinced that the ARM devices will be able to do the heavy lifting. I have a friend who has the latest iPad Pro. We each ran a series of tests on the same image with Photoshop. I used my Dell 2-in-1 9575 XPS15. In almost everything we ran, my "older" Dell smoked the iPad.

Yes, with time the ARM will mature. But in the end, it's all about control, not necessarily about a better computer.

kers

• Pieter Kers
Re: Breaking (up) News – Apple moving away from Intel
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2020, 04:25:15 pm »

I am sure Apple will be able to make a very fast machine. Otherwise it makes no sense.
It will make it easy to run iOS applications on laptops and desktops.
Also i expect a much more energy efficient laptop.
However they seem to be more interested in the consumer market than in the more heavy pro market.
Probably the new desktop machines will stay on Intel for some time.
The macpro 2019 will probably remain the only - much to expensive - desktop machine for a long time.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la
Pages: [1]   Go Up