Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon Z5  (Read 1381 times)

armand

• Photos
Nikon Z5
« on: July 21, 2020, 10:31:29 am »

Newest entry camera for the Z system.
Glancing through the specs looks like the Nikon Z camera for those who don’t care about video much.
The fact that’s simpler it’s attractive to me, but I do wish it was smaller/lighter. You could have kept close to similar ergonomics with a touch smaller body although I guess it’s more of a nitpick. What I don’t understand though is why it’s the same weight; they replaced the alloy with polycarbonate which should be lighter.
On the positive sign people looking for dual cards got their wish.
I think focus will be my biggest question, it’s not using the BSI sensor from Z6 and with probably lower reading speeds might not be as good, Z6 not being the best out there to start with.

Overall, if all else it’s equal, the price will be main difference from a Z6 and I think out there the difference could be as little as 200$, quite close not to make it a slam dunk.
For me, I’m looking at this as a travel/hiking camera, and it does score points on simplicity and dual cameras. As a kit it does take off 100$ from the 24-200 price, but I think it has to have a similar focus to Z6 otherwise the price difference won’t matter (again, for me).

PS. the 24-50 4-6.3 is a mildly interesting lens, mostly based on weight though. A 4-5.6 would have made it cross a psychological point on the attractiveness scale.

armand

• Photos
Re: Nikon Z5
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2020, 09:39:56 am »

Well, it appears that 2 SD cards are actually adding a little more to the grip (the thumb part of it): https://nikonrumors.com/2020/07/22/the-new-nikon-z5-is-2mm-bigger-than-the-z6-z7.aspx/#more-148680

This goes to tell you that adding 2 CFExpress cards will make the cameras much bigger; it would make sense for a D6 replacement but less for the current cameras. Sounds like the most we can hope is a combo CFE and SD (or the new SD express). I guess you can think of 2 CFE type A but looking through the specs I don’t see a clear advantage vs the newer SD express (or even top SD cards).

armand

• Photos
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2020, 06:32:38 am »

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2020, 07:21:16 am »

https://www.slrlounge.com/nikon-z5-vs-z6/

A relatively positive view

That’s quite an understatement.

They call the performance remarkable and the value unprecedented.

Cheers,
Bernard

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2020, 09:02:39 am »

Well, it appears that 2 SD cards are actually adding a little more to the grip (the thumb part of it): https://nikonrumors.com/2020/07/22/the-new-nikon-z5-is-2mm-bigger-than-the-z6-z7.aspx/#more-148680

This goes to tell you that adding 2 CFExpress cards will make the cameras much bigger; it would make sense for a D6 replacement but less for the current cameras. Sounds like the most we can hope is a combo CFE and SD (or the new SD express). I guess you can think of 2 CFE type A but looking through the specs I don’t see a clear advantage vs the newer SD express (or even top SD cards).

Coming from a background of being a long time user of film, not having a clue what was on that film until after the event and often having no chance of reshooting, I now find myself with the luxury of having a single digital slot and the means to view the content almost instantly.

Luxury indeed.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2020, 09:06:19 am »

That’s quite an understatement.

They call the performance remarkable and the value unprecedented.

Cheers,
Bernard

I don't like big words, they rarely fully justify but people are still in love with them.
If I didn't make it clear it's good enough for me to get it instead of the Z6. I'm holding to see the Z6s before making a decision.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2020, 09:07:22 am »

Coming from a background of being a long time user of film, not having a clue what was on that film until after the event and often having no chance of reshooting, I now find myself with the luxury of having a single digital slot and the means to view the content almost instantly.

Luxury indeed.

Good enough indeed but times are changing and I'm analyzing this looking at the competition.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2020, 12:47:03 pm »

Now that the Z6ii has been announced I've been weighing the pros and cons and I think Z5 will still hold it's own. I'm thinking specifically for landscape/hiking use. It has a slightly better DR at low ISOs, where it will probably be used most of the times. It has easily available SD cards. Its focus is good enough. It has similar weather resistance and it's cheaper, and advantage when you think the camera might be abused or stolen.
Z6ii will have better video and likely focus, but will make for a more rounded camera not one that superior for landscapes.

Pages: [1]   Go Up