Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trouble sourcing correct size tips for external battery powered laptop  (Read 375 times)

andyptak

I have Asus and Acer laptops I use for location work and would like to provide additional time for battery powered operation. I also have a couple of powerful Power Banks that should do the job and provide USB out ports for hook up. Getting the correct size tips for the laptops has been a problem. I have bought cables that claim they are for my machines and have bought cables that come with a couple of dozen changeable barrel tips of different size - and nothing has worked.

I'm blaming cheap and shoddy manufacturing. Even when the tip is supposedly the correct size in millimetres, they're still not a good fit. Most of this junk has come from Amazon sellers and I've probably spent about $200 already.

Does anyone know of a good source ? - I'd even pay extra for a custom fabrication. I've even thought of buying standard power supplies for each computer and just cutting the cords and adding a USB connection on the other end, but in between my ham-fisted hands and mediocre eyesight I'd never make a good splice.  Thanks.

Joe Towner

Which laptop models specifically?  What are the actual models of the batteries?  Sometimes it's easier to do a battery setup that has an A/C inverter so it's more universal for devices.
t: @PNWMF

andyptak

Hi Joe. I have an Asus Zenbook UX430UA that is supposed to require a 1.35 mm X 4 mm tip and an Acer Switch SW312-31 which is supposed to take a 1.1 mm X 3 mm tip. These sizes came from Internet forums because the manufacturers don't seem to publish the information.

I have an Omnicharge and an Aceyoon heavy duty battery packs, both of them just under the airline maximum carry-on limit.

I'm trying to put together a really flexible kit that meets my needs in the field and also minimizes size and weight, because I'm always battling airline size and weight restrictions on all of my gear - if I ever get to fly again! These batteries will supply additional usable time to my laptops when I'm working while also replacing the need for extra 110 volt power supplies for use in my hotel room. Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up