Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon R5 with EF lenses + adaptor - any AF delay?  (Read 1734 times)

haring

• http://www.haringphotography.com
Canon R5 with EF lenses + adaptor - any AF delay?
« on: July 10, 2020, 10:16:38 pm »

I am looking at the Canon R5 with my DSLR lenses + adapter. I may not want to sell all my EF lenses and buy the new RF ones. If you have the camera and you are using it with the adapter and EF lenses, is there any difference compared to the RF lenses... Any AF delay or drawback? I get it. Canon wants us to buy the new RF lens lineup but I am wondering whether I can use my old lenses?

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
Re: Canon R5 with EF lenses + adaptor - any AF delay?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2020, 02:27:53 pm »

I can tell you from experience with the R and the EF adapter that autofocus is very fast and accurate. I have used a handful of RF lenses (50/1.2, 24-70/2.8, 24-105/4) which seem ever so slightly faster (actually with the RF 50/1.2, it's MUCH faster than the EF 50/1.2 I used to own as well as sharper). The same goes for my Sigma 85 and 135. I'm thrilled with the focus and accuracy of those lenses on the R. All my EF lenses seem to focus a little faster and certainly more accurately than on my 5Ds and 1Dx (unless I use FoCal to microadjust regularly).

Since almost no one owns the R5 since it's not technically in distribution, this is the best real world answer you will get. Since the R5 has updated AF compared to the R, I would think results would be even better.

shadowblade

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2020, 03:39:19 pm »

I'd start selling off the EF lenses now, while they're still worth something. Replace them with RF-mount versions as they are released.

Mirrorless is the future. It's even rumoured that there won't be a 5D5 (although I suspect one more generation, for legacy lens holders), and there almost certainly won't be a 6D3.

Better to sell EF lenses now, while they're still worth something. Wait too long and they'll hardly be worth selling, and you'll have to buy new lenses if you want to use new bodies to their full potential anyway.

nemophoto

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2020, 12:37:59 pm »

I have to disagree with selling off the EF lenses. I've been shooting with Canon for 40-years and went through the transitions of FD to EF lenses. This is like then. With new EF lenses there was no backward compatibility. Sure there were FD to EF adapter, but they sucked. The only way forward was with the new mount.

Today, while the RF lenses are excellent (and eventually I will transition some of my lenses), there isn't the absolute need to abandon your EF lenses. Will they lose value. Sure. But so do your cameras et al -- and those lose value more rapidly. I can't tell you the number of orphan accessories I have (such as the wifi adapter for the original 1D and 1Ds, or the wifi adapter for my old 1Dx).

Only sell if you have a real need at this moment. Haring, you never really said what lenses you own that you want to sell. That is the big caveat to all of this. If you have the original EF 24-70/2.8L, run, don't walk to unload it. If you have the 70/200/2.8 L II, that is still a keeper.

guido

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2020, 12:29:24 pm »

Looks like EF lenses track just fine on the R5...

https://youtu.be/okeedXcuCjI

nemophoto

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2020, 12:54:32 pm »

I would expect no less considering the excellent performance on my R.

traderjay

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2020, 08:58:24 pm »

Zero delay in AF, I just got my R5 in Toronto and mounted my EF 24-70 F4 IS L and 70-200 F2.8 IS L II.
Pages: [1]   Go Up