Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon R5 released  (Read 14432 times)

jrp

Re: Canon R5 released
« Reply #60 on: August 06, 2020, 02:39:25 pm »

The first Z7 I bought was around £3,100. I saw the same model advertised recently by the same dealer at around £2,300.

This site https://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/Nikon/Nikon-Z-System-Cameras/Nikon-Z-7-Camera-Body scrapes longitudinal price data in a useful way.

Robert DeCandido PhD

• http://www.BirdingBob.com
Major Overheating Problem with R5 in video
« Reply #61 on: August 11, 2020, 11:53:14 am »

Major overheating problem found when using video for 3+ minutes:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1658293

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: Major Overheating Problem with R5 in video
« Reply #62 on: August 11, 2020, 05:27:15 pm »

Major overheating problem found when using video for 3+ minutes:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1658293

This is the reason why I feel that the R5 is overpriced by 1,000 US$.

It’s actually probably the worst mirrorless body for video but you pay a large extra corresponding to the value you would get if the video worked as advertised.

That’s just a very bad deal for still shooters.

As a still camera IBIS seems great, sensor is a bit behind Sony and Nikon, AF seems roughly at a similar level overall so you would expect to pay somewhere between an a7rIV and a Z7, probably closer to an a7rIV.

I am sure that the market will adjust the prices down pretty quickly.

Cheers,
Bernard

Ray

Re: Major Overheating Problem with R5 in video
« Reply #63 on: August 11, 2020, 11:00:36 pm »

This is the reason why I feel that the R5 is overpriced by 1,000 US$.

It’s actually probably the worst mirrorless body for video but you pay a large extra corresponding to the value you would get if the video worked as advertised.

That’s just a very bad deal for still shooters.

As a still camera IBIS seems great, sensor is a bit behind Sony and Nikon, AF seems roughly at a similar level overall so you would expect to pay somewhere between an a7rIV and a Z7, probably closer to an a7rIV.

I am sure that the market will adjust the prices down pretty quickly.

Cheers,
Bernard

On the other hand, Bernard, if the R5 were able shoot the exceptionally high quality video such as 4K 30 HQ, 4K 60, 4K 120, and 8K, without any over-heating limitations, the camera at its current price would be an absolute bargain, and would appeal to many videographers who are more interested in video than stills.

What I gather from the linked Fredmiranda thread, is that the overheating that users are complaining about, mainly applies to the use of video at its highest quality and highest frame rate.

There appears to be no overheating problem when using the standard 4K 30 mode, and 'stills' can still be taken after the camera has overheated when using the high-spec video mode.

Also, it seems possible to shoot 8K video for up to 4 hours using an external recorder instead of the in-camera card.

jeremyrh

« Reply #64 on: August 12, 2020, 06:01:59 am »

This site https://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/Nikon/Nikon-Z-System-Cameras/Nikon-Z-7-Camera-Body scrapes longitudinal price data in a useful way.

Bloody hell - I bought my Z7 at the highest point and it tumbled VERY quickly. Ouch!  I will console myself with the thought (please don't tell me if you have data to prove I'm wrong :-)  ) that the 2nd hand price of the D850 I traded in also fell during that period, so I didn't get totally stung on the exchange :-)

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #65 on: August 22, 2020, 09:52:19 am »

I read on
https://photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm

That the Canon R5 has better dynamic Range than the Nikon d850/z7 ...
That is impressive and for the first time in a decade...
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

DP

« Reply #66 on: August 22, 2020, 01:20:53 pm »

I read on

do you know what solid triangles mean on PDR graph (ISO100-ISO640) ? - that is when BClaff detects a Noise Reduction (means using NR to increase S/N to increase DR) ...

SrMi

« Reply #67 on: August 24, 2020, 02:11:22 am »

I read on

The difference is pretty minimal. AFAIK, Canon applies noise reduction to the raw files at low ISOs which raises the measured DR by about .75 stop. Still plenty of DR with R5. A bigger issue is the lower DR when using electronic shutter (12-bit only).

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #68 on: August 24, 2020, 06:40:32 am »

do you know what solid triangles mean on PDR graph (ISO100-ISO640) ? - that is when BClaff detects a Noise Reduction (means using NR to increase S/N to increase DR) ...

Aaah did not know that... was already wondering what they meant...
Anyway- it is obvious Canon squeezed out everything they could to be on top for once...
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

SrMi

« Reply #69 on: August 24, 2020, 08:07:50 am »

Anyway- it is obvious Canon squeezed out everything they could to be on top for once...

My understanding is that it means that the ‘real’ DR is lower than measured, if you compare it to cameras that do not apply NR to raw files.

DP

« Reply #70 on: August 24, 2020, 06:13:02 pm »

in any case Canon R5 has Canon's best sensor ever and Canon + it's users shall be congratulated ... unlike Nikon, who is still oscillating between dSLRs and dSLMs, Canon finally put a nail into dSLR coffin with R5 ...

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #71 on: August 25, 2020, 05:40:02 am »

in any case Canon R5 has Canon's best sensor ever and Canon + it's users shall be congratulated ... unlike Nikon, who is still oscillating between dSLRs and dSLMs, Canon finally put a nail into dSLR coffin with R5 ...
You mean you have less choice, for there is no Canon DSLR with a good sensor like this; Don't know if that is better.
Like my d850 as much as a Z7 having the same sensor and still find it helpful and - after all these years - special, to be able to just look through the lens you use.
EVF is getting better and better, so there will be a moment when i jump on to mirrorless. Focus by wire still needs improvements; ; like- recall the last focus position before shutdown.
An other thing is that the sensor readout speed must be on the level of the Sony A9 or higher, to be fully useful.

Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #72 on: August 25, 2020, 08:19:22 pm »

I am pretty sure that Canon will release a 5D mkV featuring many of the R5 components and that Nikon will release a D880 featuring the AF of the D6 and many components from the Z7s.

I may even purchase the D880 as it will be the absolute pinacle of the DSLR era.

Cheers,
Bernard

DP

« Reply #73 on: August 26, 2020, 06:54:02 pm »

I am pretty sure that Canon will release a 5D mkV

I am pretty sure that Canon will not be that stupid (see Nikon loosing marketshare and Canon gaining it)

DP

« Reply #74 on: August 26, 2020, 06:56:56 pm »

You mean you have less choice

it is not about choice - but about smart market move on manufacturer's side (see F mount vs FD to EF)... dSLR are walking zombies (except some Nikon users will continue to defend crippling Z6 & Z7 vs certain D- models)

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #75 on: August 26, 2020, 08:11:45 pm »

it is not about choice - but about smart market move on manufacturer's side (see F mount vs FD to EF)... dSLR are walking zombies (except some Nikon users will continue to defend crippling Z6 & Z7 vs certain D- models)
As a costumer i think as one...
Walking zombies; excuse me;
Anyway, even the Walking Dead are really popular...
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 08:16:13 pm by kers »
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #76 on: August 26, 2020, 11:14:12 pm »

I am pretty sure that Canon will not be that stupid (see Nikon loosing marketshare and Canon gaining it)

We shall see.

One of us is very very wrong and does’t understand at all the way Japanese camera think. :-)

Cheers,
Bernard

shadowblade

« Reply #77 on: August 27, 2020, 11:13:26 am »

Haven't had a chance to try out the camera itself (stores being closed due to COVID-19 and all) but the output from the R5 is certainly impressive. I'd rate the output quality alongside the A7r4 and D850, with little to distinguish between them (the 61MP on the A7r4 doesn't usually add as much as the 16 extra megapixels would suggest, unless conditions are perfect). The R5 output seems a little easier to work with for colour portraits; for landscapes, they're pretty much the same.

Up until the pandemic, I would have said there would probably be a 5D5, and possibly even a 5D6, but very few further SLR lenses. There are a huge number of SLR lenses and SLR users out there, who, even if they aren't adding further SLR lenses to their collection, would still be keen to keep using their SLR lenses for one or two more generations, until the lenses start to wear out or get superseded by newer/sharper/lighter technology.

With the pandemic and subsequent economic downturn, however, I'm not so sure. Doubly so if the already-delayed Tokyo Olympics end up being cancelled entirely. Any further 1D- and 5D-line releases would be about catering for existing SLR users, not attracting new ones. Canon may just decide to cut its losses and concentrate on the mirrorless line which represents its future, rather than putting further resources into SLR.

chez

« Reply #78 on: August 27, 2020, 04:22:34 pm »

Haven't had a chance to try out the camera itself (stores being closed due to COVID-19 and all) but the output from the R5 is certainly impressive. I'd rate the output quality alongside the A7r4 and D850, with little to distinguish between them (the 61MP on the A7r4 doesn't usually add as much as the 16 extra megapixels would suggest, unless conditions are perfect). The R5 output seems a little easier to work with for colour portraits; for landscapes, they're pretty much the same.

Up until the pandemic, I would have said there would probably be a 5D5, and possibly even a 5D6, but very few further SLR lenses. There are a huge number of SLR lenses and SLR users out there, who, even if they aren't adding further SLR lenses to their collection, would still be keen to keep using their SLR lenses for one or two more generations, until the lenses start to wear out or get superseded by newer/sharper/lighter technology.

With the pandemic and subsequent economic downturn, however, I'm not so sure. Doubly so if the already-delayed Tokyo Olympics end up being cancelled entirely. Any further 1D- and 5D-line releases would be about catering for existing SLR users, not attracting new ones. Canon may just decide to cut its losses and concentrate on the mirrorless line which represents its future, rather than putting further resources into SLR.

If I were to purchase DSLR equipment today, I'd buy used...big glut ( and growing ) of used DSLR cameras and lenses going for a fraction the price of new. I just don't see a new DSLR selling very well given the used prices.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up