Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lee Towndrow article  (Read 1553 times)

jeremyrh

Lee Towndrow article
« on: July 08, 2020, 07:09:55 am »

I enjoyed looking at the pictures, and as someone else noted, there are only so many pictures of ploughed fields in Pelouse that you can stand, but the text .... what language was it written in?  "cauterised"? "laying ripe"? "hinterland" ?  I have nothing against "art school" type reviews - on the contrary - I am happy and willing to learn to look at things in a different way, but the text still hs to make sense !

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
Re: Lee Towndrow article
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2020, 09:48:58 am »

Perhaps, in the same vein as The Bad Sex in Fiction Award, there should be similar recognition for Incomprehensible Art Speak?

josh.reichmann

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2020, 02:08:10 pm »

I enjoyed looking at the pictures, and as someone else noted, there are only so many pictures of ploughed fields in Pelouse that you can stand, but the text .... what language was it written in?  "cauterised"? "laying ripe"? "hinterland" ?  I have nothing against "art school" type reviews - on the contrary - I am happy and willing to learn to look at things in a different way, but the text still hs to make sense !

I hear you. I don’t wanna be defensive about this or get caught in the “proper/clear writing” vs creative writing weeds.

So, I’ll leave these dictionary guides-

Hinterland - 
“...an area lying beyond what is visible or known."in the hinterland of his mind these things rose, dark and ominous"

Cauterize-
“Examples of cauterize in a Sentence
The doctors cauterized the wound.
time had cauterized his bitterness, and he was willing to let bygones be bygones”

Ripe-

...Could be ripe for a breakthrough for his first win.”

(As in “ready”)

So laying ripe would be.. ugh.. laying ready.

Maybe that helps a touch. Maybe not.

J
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 02:13:15 pm by josh.reichmann »
Compassion and wisdom are inextricably linked.

jeremyrh

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2020, 10:25:09 am »

I hear you. I don’t wanna be defensive about this or get caught in the “proper/clear writing” vs creative writing weeds.

So, I’ll leave these dictionary guides-

Hinterland - 
“...an area lying beyond what is visible or known."in the hinterland of his mind these things rose, dark and ominous"

Cauterize-
“Examples of cauterize in a Sentence
The doctors cauterized the wound.
time had cauterized his bitterness, and he was willing to let bygones be bygones”

Ripe-

...Could be ripe for a breakthrough for his first win.”

(As in “ready”)

So laying ripe would be.. ugh.. laying ready.

Maybe that helps a touch. Maybe not.

J

I know what the words mean, Josh (I also know the difference between "laying" and "lying") - I just don't see their meaning in the sentences you wrote :-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up