Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Leica S2 worth considering in 2020?  (Read 1959 times)

mexipike

Leica S2 worth considering in 2020?
« on: July 05, 2020, 05:07:26 pm »

I have been seeing fairly decent prices on the Leica S2 and have been considering it. I mostly shoot landscape but would like to begin some commercial architecture work. Is the S2 with a 70mm lens (likely all I could afford at first) still worth considering in 2020? My preferred cameras are film cameras loaded with Fuji Velvia or Kodak T Max 400 (Chamonix 4x5, Linhof 617, Mamiya 7ii, Leica M6) just to give an idea of the type of cameras/look I like.

ben730

• www.benhuggler.com
Re: Leica S2 worth considering in 2020?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2020, 04:26:59 pm »

I don't think the S2 with a 70 mm lens is a good choice for architectural work.
Regards,
Ben

pschefz

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2020, 11:59:04 am »

I don’t think the sensor in the S2 is holding up well these days, lenses are really, really expensive....
There are too many options available that are just better in terms of IQ and all of them cheaper...
schefz.com
artloch.com

JV

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2020, 06:53:58 pm »

I own the Leica S2 with the 35mm and 70mm lenses.  I also shoot Contax 645 glass on it with an adapter.

A used S2 with an S-lens is probably going to cost you $3-5K I am guessing.  I would rather invest that money in a new Hasselblad X1D II.

mexipike

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2020, 07:13:24 pm »

Thanks everyone. It definitely seems like it's worth skipping the Leica. I've read more about it it seems like a Fuji GFX or Hasselblad X1D system are the better way to go. For now I'll probably just shoot a box of film with my 4x5 while I save up for one of those systems.

TonyVentourisPhotography

• Unlocking Olympus
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2020, 08:40:49 am »

The Leica is probably the best feeling medium format to use.  They really nailed the body.  The lenses are sweet too, as usual.  However...it is 3:2 format and has a mirror.  Both of which kept me away.  Honestly mirrorless won me over, and it’s hard to go back.  I still use an H system on occasion and it reminds me every time why mirrorless is the future.  Also, I really prefer 4:3 ratio for architecture.  A little. Extra ceiling can go a long way in feeling more natural, at least to me. 
Tony
Unlockingolympus.com (ebooks & blog on getting the most from your OMD & Pen)
tonyventourisphotography.com (Commercial Photography)

David Eichler

• San Francisco Architectural and Interior Photographer
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2020, 10:40:22 pm »

The Leica is probably the best feeling medium format to use.  They really nailed the body.  The lenses are sweet too, as usual.  However...it is 3:2 format and has a mirror.  Both of which kept me away.  Honestly mirrorless won me over, and it’s hard to go back.  I still use an H system on occasion and it reminds me every time why mirrorless is the future.  Also, I really prefer 4:3 ratio for architecture.  A little. Extra ceiling can go a long way in feeling more natural, at least to me.

How much noise does the mirror/shutter make and issues with vibration versus mirrorless? I haven't seen the latest EVFs, but I tend to prefer an optical viewfinder for relatively quick handheld shooting.

Not buying something like this any time soon. Just curious.
Pages: [1]   Go Up