Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is anyone using a Benq display? Results?  (Read 1060 times)

Garnick

Is anyone using a Benq display? Results?
« on: July 05, 2020, 03:24:20 pm »

The display I'm referring to is this one - BenQ 27“ IPS QHD Adobe RGB Photographer Monitor (SW2700PT).  I believe this display has been mentioned here previously, but not in great depth.  I've been using NEC PA series displays for the past 12+ years.  Except for the latest one the usable life of such displays seem to be approximately 5 years.  Since I'm not doing as much business as I did 10 years ago I cannot rationalize spending almost $2000.00 on another NEC Display, so I'm now looking at the possibility of the BENQ, which seems to have some very interesting reviews and specs.

Any replies, opinions or otherwise will be much appreciated.  :) :D 8)

Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

Gordon Buck

• LightDescription
Re: Is anyone using a Benq display? Results?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2020, 08:54:59 am »

That is the monitor that I've been using for the past five months.  It seems perfectly fine for my use -- Photoshop and Premiere.  I've not even re-calibrated it.  On the other hand, I may not be sufficiently discerning for your own needs.
Gordon
 [url=http://lightdescription.blog

FabienP

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2020, 04:37:30 pm »

There are a few threads in the Computers & Peripherals forum discussing this model. It was the first entry in the serious photography monitors by BenQ.

Based on my experience in the last three years with this monitor, I would recommend it for price sensitive users. There seem to be display uniformity issues on some shipped units, so buy it from a retailer with a good return policy. Also, the Palette Master Elements calibration software has bugs which result in some combination of settings leading to failed validations. New releases are issued 2-3 times a year and address some of these problems while sometimes creating new ones. They should test those releases more thoroughly.  >:(

Cheers,
Fabien

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2020, 06:18:28 pm »

I've not even re-calibrated it.
I would advise you to do so.  ;)
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

simon.garrett@iee.org

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2020, 08:27:07 am »

Bit late to the party, but I hope this helps.

I have a Benq SW271, which is similar technology.  Benq monitors are good value for what you get.  I use mine alongside an Eizo CS2420.  The Eizo has a more uniform display, which can be seen with a plain white display on both.  However, when I try side-by-side displays of images I've not been able to see any difference, even on images with large areas of plain blue sky. 

As Digitaldog says, I recommend you calibrate.  These monitors have hardware (internal) LUTs for calibration, which can be calibrated only with Benq's Palette Master software.  It's rather hokey software but it does work.

Eizo provides better hardware and software, and I expect NEC does too (I've not used NEC), but I'm not sure it justifies the extra price.  I've no regrets about getting a Benq.
Pages: [1]   Go Up