Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon PPL - ICC Profile list isn’t where expected on Mac. Any ideas?  (Read 494 times)

Pforster

PPL isn't picking up from the usual ColorSync locations, which is where I expected to see them. Or it’s only showing an abbreviated list.

The scenario is that I have had a forced change of printer from Canon Pro2000 (PCB failure) to Canon Pro2100.
It’s a nice printer. (with much better paper feed) but as always happens with any change, something unexpected crops up - in this case Print Studio Pro won’t work with the 2100.

So PPL installed as a plugin to PS and seemed to work fine. Except for picking up my Custom ICC profiles!
That isn’t strictly true because, initially it did work OK and I installed 3 Custom profiles for the 2100 they appeared in the PPL profiles dropdown list. I also deleted all my Custom ones created for the 2000 and they all disappeared.
So that was all good - but now I can’t delete or add any more and am stuck with a long list of Canon paper profiles, the 3 Custom ones I initially added and 2 outdated Pro2000 profiles. And can’t find where this list is located to add and delete more profiles.
PPL isn’t picking these up from the usual User/library/ColorSync or HD/library/ColorSync locations and I’m at a loss to know where to look now. I’ve tried searching to no avail and would appreciate any suggestions where I might find them.

One final point which may be relevant.
Between initially, successfully, installing profiles (via the ColorSync locations) and now failing, I have actuated a setting on the 2100 that ensures it is communicating with my Mac to update paper types via the Media Configuration Tool.
I’m suspicious that this has somehow affected where PPL looks for profiles - particularly as the list is now dominated by Canon papers. I’ve had a meander round the MCT but can”t see any ICC profile list anywhere - just papers.

So if anyone can suggest where these profiles might be located and how to edit them, I would be very grateful - as it Is very frustrating at the moment.
Paul.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 09:00:28 am by Pforster »
Paul.

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography

It might depend on how you load the profiles. I've been using the Media Configuration Tool app, and this is where they end up, in the main "Macintosh HD" Library folder:
Library/Printers/Canon/BJPrinter/Resources/ICCProfiles/PRO-XXXX/

Dave

Pforster

It might depend on how you load the profiles. I've been using the Media Configuration Tool app, and this is where they end up, in the main "Macintosh HD" Library folder:
Library/Printers/Canon/BJPrinter/Resources/ICCProfiles/PRO-XXXX/

Thanks for the suggestion Dave, I hadn't thought of looking there but no success I'm afraid. There are certainly profiles there but there is only one relevant to the 2100 and none that I'm seeing in PPL.
Your response is much appreciated.
Paul.
Paul.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/

Run the ColorSync utility which lists all profiles and locations; see them anywhere?
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Pforster

Run the ColorSync utility which lists all profiles and locations; see them anywhere?

Thanks, I'm beginning to get somewhere.
Embarrassingly, I'd l completely forgotten about the ColorSync Utility and haven't used it for a very long time.
It's given me some interesting results in that Dave's suggested path was correct but it was necessary to eventually "show package contents" as below. Then there was a list of profiles that were the ones visible in PPL .
Library/Printers/Canon/BJPrinter/Resources/ICCProfiles/PRO2100.canonicc/"show package contents"/contents/resources/profiles

The custom profiles weren't there but there is another location that shows up in ColorSync Utility that might solve the problem. Will work through that one later tonight.
Paul.
Paul.

Pforster

Re: Canon PPL - ICC Profile list isn’t where expected on Mac. Solved
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2020, 06:39:16 pm »

Problem solved.

The confusing issue was that there were 2 HM generic profiles for Pro2000 still showing in PPL when I had deleted them from everywhere I could find. But the 2 new HM generic profiles for Pro2100 that I downloaded to the ColorSync folders were not showing in the dropdown list - still just the Pro2000 . Hence my assumption that I wasn't able to add new profiles or delete old ones.
Well it turns out that the file name (by HM) is incorrect (or maybe the file itself is incorrect) and, although they (hopefully) are profiles for the Pro2100, they come up as Pro 2000 in the PPL dropdown list.
I finally found this out by looking at the filenames in ColorSync Utility and seeing that their description and filename don't match. See screenshot.
I'm also a little chastened by my lack of understanding of the way this software is picking up the necessary ICC profiles. I had wrongly assumed that they were all in one place but now understand (I think) that it identifies and picks up the relevant Pro2100 files from several locations.

So many thanks to Dave and digitaldog for helping and steering me to the right places to get this sorted.

Now all I have to do is find out whether the HM profile is actually the right one for the 2100.
Paul.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 06:47:14 pm by Pforster »
Paul.

Pforster

Re: Canon PPL - ICC Profile list isn’t where expected on Mac. Solved
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2020, 09:03:12 am »

Problem solved.

The confusing issue was that there were 2 HM generic profiles for Pro2000 still showing in PPL when I had deleted them from everywhere I could find. But the 2 new HM generic profiles for Pro2100 that I downloaded to the ColorSync folders were not showing in the dropdown list - still just the Pro2000 . Hence my assumption that I wasn't able to add new profiles or delete old ones.
Well it turns out that the file name (by HM) is incorrect (or maybe the file itself is incorrect) and, although they (hopefully) are profiles for the Pro2100, they come up as Pro 2000 in the PPL dropdown list.
I finally found this out by looking at the filenames in ColorSync Utility and seeing that their description and filename don't match. See screenshot.
I'm also a little chastened by my lack of understanding of the way this software is picking up the necessary ICC profiles. I had wrongly assumed that they were all in one place but now understand (I think) that it identifies and picks up the relevant Pro2100 files from several locations.

So many thanks to Dave and digitaldog for helping and steering me to the right places to get this sorted.

Now all I have to do is find out whether the HM profile is actually the right one for the 2100.
Paul.

Update: HM replied very quickly to my question and, not surprisingly, confirmed that their profiles for the Pro2000 & Pro2100 are the same. My Custom Profiles definitely needed remaking for the new Pro2100 - which is probably and indication of the value of profiles for individual printers rather than any fundamental difference between the two models.
Paul.
Pages: [1]   Go Up