Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iMac vs a MacPro upgrade  (Read 343 times)

bellimages

• http://www.bellimages.com
iMac vs a MacPro upgrade
« on: June 28, 2020, 11:33:32 pm »

I have been using a 2010 MacPro for the last 10 years, combined with a NEC 30" monitor. I can spend around $1500 to install four SSD drives, a new video card, do a fresh install of Mojave (10.14). Downside is that I still have a 10 year old computer and monitor.

Or I can purchase a new 27" iMac for around $3,000. I've never used anything but a MacPro. Not sure if I'll be happy with a smaller monitor. Unfortunately I can't afford to buy a MacPro "trash can" or "cheese grater."

What are your opinions?
Jan Bell, Owner/Photographer, Bell Image

deanwork

Re: iMac vs a MacPro upgrade
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2020, 11:00:13 am »

The cylinder ( trash can ) macs have been discontinued so your only option is used. Most of them are in the $2,000.00 range. The question would be how long can you hold on to the 30Ē display? 

A new IMac is going to be way faster that what you are used to and with a 5 k display and everything new. If you just donít have to have a gamut larger than srgb I would go for that, and you are in warranty.

Personally I donít like 30 inch displays and have all 27s. If you are viewing a lot of multiple files in Lightroom daily a 30 might make sense. But Iíd rather have 2 27s, one good one and one budget one.

Finally, why would you need to spend 3k on an IMac? I donít get that.

https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/imac/27-inch

Here are the affordable new equipment options we are left with:

IMac ( where Apple wants photographers to go but small gamut rgb  and if your display goes out you are screwed)

Mac Mini ( very good value if you have your own display or want full gamut rgb )

Mac Book Pro with an adapter for your own display ( not cheap but you also get a portable unit out of it )

John

:)
I have been using a 2010 MacPro for the last 10 years, combined with a NEC 30" monitor. I can spend around $1500 to install four SSD drives, a new video card, do a fresh install of Mojave (10.14). Downside is that I still have a 10 year old computer and monitor.

Or I can purchase a new 27" iMac for around $3,000. I've never used anything but a MacPro. Not sure if I'll be happy with a smaller monitor. Unfortunately I can't afford to buy a MacPro "trash can" or "cheese grater."

What are your opinions?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 03:32:01 pm by deanwork »

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2020, 03:06:38 pm »

If the NEC still works well it is an idea to buy a macmini - but first you have to find out if it can be connected.

Daverich

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2020, 05:42:56 pm »

If the NEC still works well it is an idea to buy a macmini - but first you have to find out if it can be connected.

It can. I just ordered a loaded MacMini to replace my Trashcan and it will connect to my NEC using the same adapter. I was going to get a 2019 Mac Pro until the announcement of switching over to the new processor and decided to get the Mini to tide me over for two or three years until the new stuff gets settled in.

deanwork

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2020, 05:55:01 pm »

Iím in the same exact position as you guys.

You mind reporting back on how the new mini compares to your 2013 MacPro with large Photoshop files?

Iím VERY curious and would much rather buy something new.

It didnít occur to me that they were holding off on a new series of Pros because of bringing the chip making in-house.

Here is an Eizo display that is not 4K, more like 3k, but appears a good value, as is the 4K Ben-q

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1566862-REG/eizo_cs2731_bk_coloredge_cs2731_27_hardware.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1360177-REG/benq_27_sw271_uhd_4k.html/?ap=y&ap=y&smp=y&smp=y&lsft=BI%3A514&gclid=Cj0KCQjwoub3BRC6ARIsABGhnyb2zt4xD-3R3tMq1cQQ71YbvfpNx5QliSS6-uCIava2-mOB_7ypfssaArYLEALw_wcB

John

quote author=Daverich link=topic=135458.msg1177233#msg1177233 date=1593466976]
It can. I just ordered a loaded MacMini to replace my Trashcan and it will connect to my NEC using the same adapter. I was going to get a 2019 Mac Pro until the announcement of switching over to the new processor and decided to get the Mini to tide me over for two or three years until the new stuff gets settled in.
[/quote]
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 03:11:25 pm by deanwork »

Daverich

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2020, 02:20:59 pm »

Iím in the same exact position as you guys.

You mind reporting back on how the new mini compares to your 2013 MacPro with large Photoshop files?

Iím VERY curious and would much rather buy something new.

It didnít occur to me that they were holding off on a new series of Pros because of bringing the chip making in-house.

Here is an Eizo display that is not 4K but appears a good value, as is the 4K Ben-q

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1566862-REG/eizo_cs2731_bk_coloredge_cs2731_27_hardware.html

John

quote author=Daverich link=topic=135458.msg1177233#msg1177233 date=1593466976]

It doesn't get here until the 7th-9th but once it's set up I can update this post. Apple said they plan to have the entire line transitioned over to ARM in the next two years so even though you will get hardware and software support for another 5-7 years, after 2 years you're going to start being left behind. How much effort will Adobe be putting into the Intel version of Photoshop in 4 years compared to the ARM version? My Trashcan has bits and pieces of software from 10-15 years ago because I've always used Migration Assistant to set up a new computer. I'm setting up the Mini from scratch with fresh, current installs of all of the programs that I use. I'm keeping the Trashcan on Mojave and will go back to that if the Mini doesn't work out. I'm not really expecting that it won't though.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2020, 07:40:51 pm »

...How much effort will Adobe be putting into the Intel version of Photoshop in 4 years compared to the ARM version?...

Not so much for they already have it working on Intel...
I don't think it will be a problem untill Apple stops with support of Intel Machines.. 
and they just launced an 10.000$+ Intel macpro and before that an Intel  iMac pro still sold - without support from Apple/ Adobe???.... 8 years? 10 Years? not sooner.

bellimages

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2020, 09:09:40 pm »

The 27" iMac that I configured has an 8-core Intel Core i( processor, 32BG of RAM, the Radeon Pro 580x with 8GB of memory, 1TB SSD storage. That brings the price to $3629.

I LOVE my 30" display. I fear that I won't care for a downsize monitor (note: I don't have room for two monitors).

Who knows how much longer the NEC will work. I feel good that it's given me 10 years of service. So the MacMini may not be a good idea, nor a MacBook Pro

Since I work in B&W 95% of the time, gamut isn't a big deal. And I ONLY use Photoshop for my work -- no Lightroom what so ever.

The cylinder ( trash can ) macs have been discontinued so your only option is used. Most of them are in the $2,000.00 range. The question would be how long can you hold on to the 30Ē display? 

A new IMac is going to be way faster that what you are used to and with a 5 k display and everything new. If you just donít have to have a gamut larger than srgb I would go for that, and you are in warranty.

Personally I donít like 30 inch displays and have all 27s. If you are viewing a lot of multiple files in Lightroom daily a 30 might make sense. But Iíd rather have 2 27s, one good one and one budget one.

Finally, why would you need to spend 3k on an IMac? I donít get that.

https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/imac/27-inch

Here are the affordable new equipment options we are left with:

IMac ( where Apple wants photographers to go but small gamut rgb  and if your display goes out you are screwed)

Mac Mini ( very good value if you have your own display or want full gamut rgb )

Mac Book Pro with an adapter for your own display ( not cheap but you also get a portable unit out of it )

John

:)

bellimages

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2020, 09:19:54 pm »

I did a side by side benchmark comparison of the Radeon 580x graphics card against the MacMini's built in Intel UHD Graphics 630. There is a LOT of difference. That said, does the MacMini lag when working on large Photoshop files (say 1GB in size)?

deanwork

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2020, 09:31:17 am »

It seems like you can hook up a more advanced graphics card with the thunderbolt 3 connection. Someone mentioned that for demanding  4 k video applications. But I dont see why in the world you would need another card for Photoshop and Lightroom.  I guess weíll find out eventually.

I did a side by side benchmark comparison of the Radeon 580x graphics card against the MacMini's built in Intel UHD Graphics 630. There is a LOT of difference. That said, does the MacMini lag when working on large Photoshop files (say 1GB in size)?

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2020, 12:35:54 pm »

It seems like you can hook up a more advanced graphics card with the thunderbolt 3 connection. Someone mentioned that for demanding  4 k video applications. But I dont see why in the world you would need another card for Photoshop and Lightroom.  I guess weíll find out eventually.
LR started to make better use of the GPU i noticed; It uses for developing now the CPU all cores x 2  + the GPU.
photoshop still uses only a few cores mostly and GPU at some filters.
Pages: [1]   Go Up