Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Med/large format h3d 39 help.  (Read 899 times)

adam tracksler

Med/large format h3d 39 help.
« on: June 28, 2020, 11:21:37 pm »

I have an h3d 39 and am thinking about moving into using it for more movements.

Currently using a combo of the hasselblad, and a Sony a7r3 and a cambo actus.

I know there are several options.

The hasselblad tilt/shift
The dB Back upgrade from actus
A slr like the gx680
A 4x5 monorail like a Sinar p with an adapter.

Trying to think about my next move. You can see some of our work at https://www.bryce-photos.com/

Looking for advice, snafus, traps, dead ends....maybe something Iā€™m missing.....

Thanks in advance. Ad

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
Re: Med/large format h3d 39 help.
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2020, 06:07:38 pm »

What do you want the more movements for? If it technical work in a studio then Ok, but if you want to use it outside you need a truck full of gear to drive to where you want to take the photo and then assemble it when you get there.

I had the H3D-39. It was a great sensor with a large sensor size.
However it must now be about 12 years old so how much money are you going to invest in it?

I sold all of my H series and tech cameras on eBay and for about the same bought an XiD and an adaptor for my Canon TSE24.
I can carry it up the mountain if I want.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

landscapephoto

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2020, 01:41:52 am »

I am still using the HTS on an old H4D. It is great for studio work, especially with the 50mm and macro adapter. For architecture work, the camera is heavy, but since I need a tripod anyway I know I cannot go under a certain weight. What I find extremely useful is that Focus knows about tilt and shift and corrects everything automatically.

delfalex

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2020, 02:35:58 pm »

I've been recently experimenting with the HTS on H3DII/H4D/H5D backs/bodies.
As landscapephoto mentioned; it's really useful that all the movements are automatically sent over to Phocus and the corrections applied automatically.
In a tethered setup I've found it very easy to accurately fine tune the focusing through Phocus using the + & -  lens focus stepping controls and hence not have to stop down too much from open.

Alex

antoine_k

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2020, 05:28:39 pm »

I use my H3D-31 on a Fuji GX680. 

Adapter plates are available on ebay for the H back, but it would probably be best to try to find a Kapturegroup plate.  I was lucky enough to buy one from a member on the GX680 facebook group.

You can directly connect the back to the flash sync port, but you do have to set the exposure time in the menus to match the camera shutter.  However, I modified my 680 to add a 3.5mm jack connected directly to the lens x-contact, which now does not require any time setting in the back.

Other than that, it's dirt simple to use on the GX680.
Anthony Kerstens.
Pages: [1]   Go Up