Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "hanging" on a sloping wall  (Read 671 times)

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
"hanging" on a sloping wall
« on: June 27, 2020, 06:37:06 am »

Most of the walls in my house's loft conversion slope up to an apex, at about 30° to the vertical. I'd like to "hang" some prints on them, even so; and I'd prefer not to have visible brackets and screws at the bottom.

Any suggestions?

Jeremy

Rand47

Re: "hanging" on a sloping wall
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2020, 10:51:32 am »

Most of the walls in my house's loft conversion slope up to an apex, at about 30° to the vertical. I'd like to "hang" some prints on them, even so; and I'd prefer not to have visible brackets and screws at the bottom.

Any suggestions?

Jeremy

Jeremy,

I’ve been using self-adhesive gator board panels (24x36” in my case).  I mount the prints to the board.  They are very rigid, but also very light.  3M (here in the us) makes “Command Picture Hanging Strips” (two pieces w/ velcro) that would almost certainly be strong enough to hold the panels to your sloped walls.

Here’s a mounted photo:

Here’s the 3M mounting strips:

And here’s the print “stuck to the wall:”

This makes for a nice looking “casual” display on my walls.  Also, since the “wall side” of the mounting stips can remain in place, I can “un-velcro” the prints and “stick something else up” from time to time.  I’ll often do this when I want to live with a print for a while to see how I feel about it.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

Peter McLennan

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2020, 12:34:59 pm »

I too have found direct mounting to self adhesive Gator (or foamcore) a satisfactory alternative to traditional behind-glass techniques.  An inexpensive cold roller laminator makes this process much easier.

Once the finished wall art has achieved near-weightless characteristics, the hanging possibilities enlarge significantly.

https://www.google.com/search?q=temporary+picture+hanging+adhesive&oq=temporary+picture+hanging+adhesive&aqs=chrome..69i57j33l4.10061j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2020, 03:40:42 pm »

Z brackets/hangars might work, 2 of them of course.  You'll have to figure out how to attach them to the back of your mount though.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2020, 03:09:10 am »

Thanks. I'll have a look at those ideas. The main problem I'd like to solve is how to hold the bottom of the print against the wall. I suspect a combination of a Z bracket at the top and velcro strips at the bottom might be the way to go.

Jeremy

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2020, 10:12:07 am »

Thanks. I'll have a look at those ideas. The main problem I'd like to solve is how to hold the bottom of the print against the wall. I suspect a combination of a Z bracket at the top and velcro strips at the bottom might be the way to go.

Jeremy
If you do go the Velcro route, look to see if you can get a roll of Velcro.  It's much cheaper than individual packets such as the picture hanging strips referred to earlier.  I always keep a roll on hand as there are often projects that require it.  You can cut strips down to the size you need.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2020, 03:18:44 pm »

Good point.

Jeremy

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2020, 06:28:53 pm »

Be careful with Velcro strips.  If you take them down, it could strip off the wall finishing.  MMM picture hanging strips remove without marring the wall. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up