Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Mac Mini and 2013 Mac Pro  (Read 632 times)

deanwork

New Mac Mini and 2013 Mac Pro
« on: June 26, 2020, 10:52:30 am »

Unfortunately I don’t know anyone who has been working with one of the 2020 Mac Mini six core i7 machines
for photo editing. They seem pretty powerful from reading the specs when you put your own 32 or 64 ram in there.

I need a new Mac for photo editing ( no video ) and printing up to 40x60 prints regularly. I want to use my own NEC and or BenQ   2k displays with adobe 1998 colorspace and I don’t want an IMac . I see with the new Mac Mini you can use 4K and even 5k displays with their integrated graphics card. But apparently according to this review you should not go beyond 2k displays .

https://phototacopodcast.com/photographers-mac-mini-buying-guide-2018/

I don’t know how great these cards are. I am most  concerned that these little macs could overheat and slow down since there is no decent  fan. They could have easily made them an inch or two thicker for better fans. Is that a concern?

I’m trying to decide between a used trash can Mac Pro, basically 2013  tech  that I know will perform very well for what I do and a 2020 Mac Mini. I do a lot of pretty big files with often multiple Photoshop layers in 16 bit rgb. Don’t do multi tasking. I don’t do huge amounts of Lightroom catalogue process, but do use Lightroom a lot for single image processing, which shouldn’t be a problem.

I’m looking at something in the $1,000 - $1,600.00 US range new mini  or used Mac Pro. Also possibly looking for a reliable source for used trash can Mac pros. They are getting expensive on Ebay now that the  new 6 grand new Mac Pros are out there

Any knowledge about the minis would be valuable,

Thanks

John

Lightbox

• http://www.shaunquinlan.com
Re: New Mac Mini and 2013 Mac Pro
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2020, 06:27:56 am »

Great little machine, I recently upgraded my 2014 Mac Mini to the 2020 version and bought 32GB of OWC RAM, new Mac Mini is the 3.2 i7 the RAM install process was very easy except for the removal of the LED cable which I broke off. Common issue with the RAM upgrade process so if you do decide to go the mini and upgrade RAM yourself be very careful with that part.

I wouldn't say I'm a heavy user although I do a lot of technical work in Photoshop with many layers, use C1 for image management and raw processing, haven't noticed the machine impede operations in anyway. I have the Mac Mini hooked up to an OWC 4M2 Express drive with 3 M.2 sticks where all my images are stored, super fast importing and one of the M.2 sticks is a scratch disk for Photoshop.

I wouldn't be too concerned with overheating as the cooling system is pretty good and shouldn't be stressed in anyway with photo editing, video maybe yes. All up a fast machine and a very clean minimal work station.

deanwork

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2020, 08:22:05 am »

Thanks. It may work well with Lightroom and Photoshop processing of large files, say in the 1 to two gig tiff file range. I just don’t hear a lot about people doing it. But with the insane price of the new Mac pros I’m sure they will be selling more. It looks like once you buy the ram and a decent internal hard drive the price is comparable to the best prices on a used 2013 era trash can Mac, though the latter can be upgraded significantly. Both take up very little desk space.

John

Great little machine, I recently upgraded my 2014 Mac Mini to the 2020 version and bought 32GB of OWC RAM, new Mac Mini is the 3.2 i7 the RAM install process was very easy except for the removal of the LED cable which I broke off. Common issue with the RAM upgrade process so if you do decide to go the mini and upgrade RAM yourself be very careful with that part.

I wouldn't say I'm a heavy user although I do a lot of technical work in Photoshop with many layers, use C1 for image management and raw processing, haven't noticed the machine impede operations in anyway. I have the Mac Mini hooked up to an OWC 4M2 Express drive with 3 M.2 sticks where all my images are stored, super fast importing and one of the M.2 sticks is a scratch disk for Photoshop.

I wouldn't be too concerned with overheating as the cooling system is pretty good and shouldn't be stressed in anyway with photo editing, video maybe yes. All up a fast machine and a very clean minimal work station.

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2020, 02:53:44 pm »

The new Mac Pro tower seems to have been designed with commercial video production and scientific computation in mind, and I suspect it's doing well in its target markets, where neither cost nor bulk is a concern.  But it doesn't seem like a platform, as Apple used to say, "for the rest of us."

I'd really like to see Apple do a refresh of the 2013 Mac Pro, which has an excellent form-factor for still photography, but I don't see that happening and for now I'll stick with mine (I've upgraded the primary memory and mass storage with aftermarket parts).  It's performance with Lightroom and Photoshop is still satisfactory, and it also does okay with the few other photography applications I regularly use.  At least on paper, though, the new Mac Mini does look like a plausible alternative as long as you're not using software that relies on a graphics subsystem to accelerate computationally intensive special-purpose processing.

I'd also reluctantly consider a machine running MS-Windows as my primary photography desktop if I didn't have so much home-grown software with UNIX dependencies to automate the administration of my various UNIX and Linux systems, which needs to interact cleanly with the computer in front of me.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2020, 08:22:33 am »

I like the 5.1 Mac pro tower; a pity they don't build one with 2020 specs and i9-processors.
The macMini has a major weak point: no dedicated GPU.  However the backed in GPU from intel is doing a reasonable job.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

deanwork

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2020, 09:05:50 am »

Yea that’s what I want, but if they did offer it it would probably cost 4-5 grand. Their opinion is, all us photographers and printmakers should be on srgb iMacs or MacBook pros. The decision has been made.

A custom built pc is probably the smart choice.

You can plug in an external GPU to Mac mini or laptop with thunderbolt. I think that would work well for me with processing still photography and no video. But it’s a dilemma because then you are at the price range of a new iMac 27 inch, once you have decent ram and hard drive installed in the mini. But it’s still a possibility.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208544

Does anyone know the software I should use to to test the speed and function of a used Mac Pro? I just want to make sure I don’t buy a damaged one. There are a couple in my city.

John

I like the 5.1 Mac pro tower; a pity they don't build one with 2020 specs and i9-processors.
The macMini has a major weak point: no dedicated GPU.  However the backed in GPU from intel is doing a reasonable job.

Daverich

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2020, 11:11:17 am »

One thing in favor of the Mini over the Trashcan is that it has Thunderbolt 3 ports which are twice as fast as the Thunderbolt 2 ports in the Trashcan.

HarveyM43

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2020, 11:18:06 am »

Does anyone know the software I should use to to test the speed and function of a used Mac Pro? I just want to make sure I don’t buy a damaged one. There are a couple in my city.

John

You can get the demo version of Geekbench.  The demo version requires an internet connection. It benchmarks  some photo tasks-Gaussian Blur, Face Detection, Horizon Detection, Image Inpainting, & HDR. The Geekbench Browser database has the results from about 30 Mac Pros & 5 Mac 2018 Minis-
 https://browser.geekbench.com/mac-benchmarks/
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 11:28:58 am by HarveyM43 »

deanwork

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2020, 02:12:48 pm »

Nice. That’s what I need apparently. I appreciate all the feedback. I’ve got an 8 Core  and a quad core Mac Pro still running El Capitan and maxed out there. Can’t live that way forever.....

John

You can get the demo version of Geekbench.  The demo version requires an internet connection. It benchmarks  some photo tasks-Gaussian Blur, Face Detection, Horizon Detection, Image Inpainting, & HDR. The Geekbench Browser database has the results from about 30 Mac Pros & 5 Mac 2018 Minis-
 https://browser.geekbench.com/mac-benchmarks/
Pages: [1]   Go Up