Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LR continuously flickering  (Read 972 times)

mshea

LR continuously flickering
« on: June 24, 2020, 01:50:20 pm »

I just updated to the latest version, but I occasionally noticed this issue over the past month or so in the previous version. After a few minutes of work, the Finder—not just LR—will start flickering white, both spontaneously and with just the slightest movement of the mouse. Restarting the computer used to solve the problem but now it has no effect. The same flickering also occurs in PS, but it's multicolored, not white. Still on OS 10.14.6. The phenomenon doesn't occur in any other app.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: LR continuously flickering
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2020, 02:17:42 pm »

With GPU options set to OFF in preferences, any difference?
Also consider creating a new display profile, avoid LUT based and Version 4 (V4) spec.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

mshea

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2020, 06:00:43 pm »

Interestingly, restarting doesn't resolve the issue, but shutting down and powering on does. Hmm.

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2020, 08:00:51 pm »

Interestingly, restarting doesn't resolve the issue, but shutting down and powering on does. Hmm.

Two different things, although many people think they are the same

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2020, 08:04:17 pm »

Two different things, although many people think they are the same
I'll bite: what's the difference?
Absolutely different logging out and back, absolutely different restarting in Safe Mode (and back again). What does a shut down bring to the party?

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2020, 09:57:21 pm »

Some registers and buffers are not cleared out when you restart, while everything should get cleared when shutting down and powering up again. That's why some update processes require that you restart and not shut down/power up.

To discard hw issues when you have weird behaviour, it is usually better to shut down and power up again.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2020, 09:59:48 pm »

Some registers and buffers are not cleared out when you restart, while everything should get cleared when shutting down and powering up again. That's why some update processes require that you restart and not shut down/power up.

To discard hw issues when you have weird behaviour, it is usually better to shut down and power up again.
Interesting; so it doesn't matter how long it's shut down, just as long as this is done.
I don't know what registers and buffers are.
There's no software utilities (like Cocktail etc) that can do this, it has to be a 'hard' shut down?

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2020, 11:15:53 pm »

I don't know about those software utilities. There are more details involved, many of which I don't know and they can be OS version specific.
Another thing that changes this behaviour is if you have those "fast boot"options (at least in windows). In any case, Reboot and shut down / power up are not 100% equivalent in most cases.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2020, 03:25:44 am »

Some registers and buffers are not cleared out when you restart, while everything should get cleared when shutting down and powering up again.

I'd be interested to see any evidence that this is true on Macs.

Jeremy

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2020, 06:27:06 am »

I'd be interested to see any evidence that this is true on Macs.

The OP (using Mac with OSX 10.14.6):

Anthony.Ralph

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2020, 09:23:43 am »

Windows 10. This is interesting as I was under the (perhaps erroneous) idea that shutting down invoked the saving of an image of the current state to allow as fast a return to use on power up. Therefore, to clear registers, etc. it was recommended to do a restart which doesn't save the image state. Certainly the time taken to restart vs. start from shutdown would suggest there is a difference.

Anthony

pflower

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2020, 03:46:35 pm »

I've had this, intermittently, sometimes as much as once a week or more with a 27 inch iMac again on Mojave.  Recently I have been free of this for at least a month.  All diagnostic tests disclose no problems and a conversation with Apple Support merely suggested resetting the PRAM on restart.  That does seem to help - but not necessarily permanently.  If there is no hardware fault then it feels like some kind of bug.  Annoying and not what one wants but not, apparently, fatal.  Can't identify any particular program as the culprit - although LR is constantly running on my machine.

I just updated to the latest version, but I occasionally noticed this issue over the past month or so in the previous version. After a few minutes of work, the Finder—not just LR—will start flickering white, both spontaneously and with just the slightest movement of the mouse. Restarting the computer used to solve the problem but now it has no effect. The same flickering also occurs in PS, but it's multicolored, not white. Still on OS 10.14.6. The phenomenon doesn't occur in any other app.

FabienP

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2020, 04:10:16 pm »

Windows 10. This is interesting as I was under the (perhaps erroneous) idea that shutting down invoked the saving of an image of the current state to allow as fast a return to use on power up. Therefore, to clear registers, etc. it was recommended to do a restart which doesn't save the image state. Certainly the time taken to restart vs. start from shutdown would suggest there is a difference.

Anthony

This works exactly as you describe by default, hence the need to restart to get the PC in a freshly booted state. This can however be disabled by following instructions in this guide.

Reasons to disable this are:
  • That it is no longer needed with fast SSDs. The gains are minimal and are actually more like a fast shut down than a fast startup.
  • Disabling it will increase the life of your SSD since fewer bits are written to it, especially with huge amounts of RAM.
  • If the NTFS partition needs to be mounted in a non-Windows OS, fast startup has to be disabled to prevent possible data corruption.

So it is generally the first thing that I disable on a Windows 10 PC.

Cheers,
Fabien

JeanMichel

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2020, 05:20:39 pm »

On an iMac, Mojave.  A few weeks ago i experienced something similar, wild non-stop flickering. Had LR and some other applications open; had done some memory-hogging stuff moving files etc., etc. Opened a new Safari window to check something and that is when the wild flickering happened, had to use the power switch to turn off the machine as the flickering did not allow any access to anything. Restart and all fine since.
Pages: [1]   Go Up