Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aardenburg Imaging Newsletters and Podcasts  (Read 1084 times)

deanwork

Aardenburg Imaging Newsletters and Podcasts
« on: June 22, 2020, 04:22:32 pm »

I just noticed that Mark McCormick has sent out some commentary about the research he has been doing this year in regard to the stability of the types of papers and pigments we use weekly.

https://www.aardenburg-imaging.com/tracking-lilis/

Since we were having this discussion about canvas brighteners, pro and con last week I thought it would be appropriate to remind Everyone, including my irresponsible self, that  we need to make more of an effort to send in donations when we can to further this research. There is so much left to be done and if all of us don’t help somehow he couldn’t possibly afford to fund it all himself. This is a labor of love project, and, the only one like it in the world.

Please take a look and think about it. I know I’ve learned so much in the last decade.

John

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
Re: Aardenburg Imaging Newsletters and Podcasts
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2020, 09:30:40 am »

+1

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2020, 05:07:11 am »

Yes, Mark does such great work and is committed to moving the industry forward. He is also so helpful with questions, openly sharing valuable info.

Dave
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 09:16:20 pm by dchew »

deanwork

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2020, 03:51:58 pm »

I’ve been listening to the 12 podcasts today and they are an easy to understand ( to your clients ) resource.

The last one #12 was the most interesting and valuable to me. It describes all the years of testing protocol that led to the understanding of Light Induced Low Exposure print staining. This is what happens when prints that have previously been exposed to light are placed in dark storage and begin to yellow in a way not seen before they were put in dark storage. I’ve seen this with some of my own rc media in a flat file, and didn’t know what was causing it.

By the way this will occur with all rc papers on the market today analogue and digital, to some degree, and a lot of the so called “ Baryta “ papers that also contain a combination of dye brighteners and titanium dioxide white pigments.

Good news is there are some pigments that don’t show this and of course many great papers that have no pigments or dyes added . This it seems to me is a huge area for possible study, getting rid of all the dye brighteners once and for all and find new durable substitutes that are stable.

I hope every paper manufacturer in the world listens to this podcast because if they don’t, it will most definitely come back to bite them in a big way.

John

Yes, Mark does such great work and is committed to moving the industry forward. He is also so helpful with questions, openly valuable sharing info.

Dave
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 03:56:07 pm by deanwork »

NAwlins_Contrarian

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2020, 11:46:36 pm »

I just noticed that Mark McCormick has sent out some commentary about the research he has been doing this year ...

I thought it would be appropriate to remind Everyone, including my irresponsible self, that  we need to make more of an effort to send in donations when we can to further this research. There is so much left to be done and if all of us don’t help somehow he couldn’t possibly afford to fund it all himself. This is a labor of love project, and, the only one like it in the world.

Yes indeed! I just made the same observation (and a small donation) five days ago (https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/64058127).

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2020, 10:52:50 am »

Another great post from Mark about LILIS:
Lilis Redux

Dave

JeffSD

• Jeff Maysent Photography
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2020, 01:54:06 pm »

Agree 100%.

I've found Mark's work to be very helpful and well worth an occasional donation.

I just noticed that Mark McCormick has sent out some commentary about the research he has been doing this year in regard to the stability of the types of papers and pigments we use weekly.

https://www.aardenburg-imaging.com/tracking-lilis/

Since we were having this discussion about canvas brighteners, pro and con last week I thought it would be appropriate to remind Everyone, including my irresponsible self, that  we need to make more of an effort to send in donations when we can to further this research. There is so much left to be done and if all of us don’t help somehow he couldn’t possibly afford to fund it all himself. This is a labor of love project, and, the only one like it in the world.

Please take a look and think about it. I know I’ve learned so much in the last decade.

John

Paul_Roark

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2020, 01:06:52 pm »

Mark's work (and my own consistent but less sophisticated testing) was a very significant part of my pushing the "carbon on cotton" (carbon pigments on cotton based paper) as the ultimate in longevity.  It can also be very inexpensive.  MK, diluted (what I called Eboni-6) on Arches watercolor paper ("full sheet", 22 x 30 Hot Press 140 lb.) makes an extremely nice print.  It takes two MK positions and QuadToneRip to do it right.  I've summarized some of the related test results here: https://www.paulroark.com/BW-Info/Carbon%20on%20Cotton.pdf .

Paul
www.PaulRoark.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up