Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Making profiles.  (Read 962 times)

enduser

Making profiles.
« on: June 19, 2020, 02:54:10 am »

What is the best basic profiling tool for making .icc printer profiles, at the lowest cost?
Thanks for any info.

Panagiotis

• Fine Art Print
Re: Making profiles.
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2020, 05:37:01 am »

What is the best basic profiling tool for making .icc printer profiles, at the lowest cost?
Thanks for any info.

I bought a used i1pro2 basic for 500 euro. This cannot make printer profiles with xrite software because in it's basic version is locked. But it works great with ArgyllCMS.

HarveyM43

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2020, 06:45:58 am »

The i1Studio / Colormunki are the gateway drugs to printer profiling. They have supplied software or can use ArgyllCMS as the next step down the rabbit hole.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 08:54:37 am by HarveyM43 »

NAwlins_Contrarian

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2020, 10:28:56 am »

Thanks for any info.

I don't know about prices in Australia, but in the U.S. you can find on eBay a used but fully-functional X-Rite ColorMunki Photo spectrophotometer for about $175. Running that with the current X-Rite i1Studio software (freely downloadable from X-Rite) is pretty easy and IMO generally does a quite good job. (Note that there are at least two other "ColorMunki" devices, but they don't have the same capability.)

If you want to buy something new, then the ColorMunki Photo's successor (or maybe twin with a new name and a different-colored case), the X-Rite i1Studio, is $439 in the U.S.

Above that, you're probably looking at a big step-up in cost, and/or buying something used with its own set of compatibility issues relative to current computer hardware and software. There are some bargains out there, but it takes a fair amount of knowledge to discern the bargain from the incomplete / nonfunctional package and/or the one that will be a major hassle to get running today.

As for using Argyll CMS to make printing profiles: compared to something like the X-Rite i1Studio software, Argyll CMS is much more complicated. I don't doubt that it can do a very good job, offers more flexibility than the X-Rite software, and allows you to use devices that won't work with other software. But I would study up a good bit before deciding to buy a device with the idea to use it with Argyll.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2020, 11:26:11 am »

The i1Studio / Colormunki are the gateway drugs to printer profiling.
Meaning what?
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2020, 12:18:06 pm »

Lowest cost profiling software has to be ArgyllCMS since it is free.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2020, 12:23:32 pm »

Lowest cost profiling software has to be ArgyllCMS since it is free.
Yet as outlined earlier, not the only free software; if you own an X-rite Spectrophotometer.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

HarveyM43

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2020, 12:37:49 pm »

Meaning what?

That you start off with a i1Studio Photo and pretty soon you’re thinking ‘ohh that image deserves more than my regular Costco glossy paper; maybe I  should profile some Hahnmuhle William Turner or Museum Etching or better yet both!’

MichaelKoerner

• www.medien-atelier.at
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2020, 01:55:56 pm »

My two cents: If you just want good paper profiles and are not so interested in the profiling process itself, getting  profiles made by some experienced pro (digitaldog does them, for instance) is by far the cheapest method, even for a bunch of different papers. Such profiles work at once (if not, you can complain) and provide instant impression of "what is possible" on a specific printer/paper/ink combination.

In my experience, the learning curve to produce really great paper profiles can be rather steep, takes some time and produces paper and ink costs until you get there. Well, that was true for me, YMMV.

Having said that, i1Studio (the former Colormunki) works fine, but uses larger (and less) color patches then i1Pro/i1Pro2. So it needs more paper/ink during the profiling process and produces less "accurate" profiles (well, the latter can be discussed, of course. More patches not always produce better profiles).

Yes, it's a gateway drug, but if you want best quality AND want to get into the rabbit hole, you are - IMHO - better off with getting a used i1Pro (rev D better E, non UV cut), or i1Pro2. Those work with smaller patch sizes than i1Studio and well with ArgyllCMS (Actually, I sell an i1Pro here in Austria).

If you are looking for "best quality" and maximum control at less (but still some) time expense, get i1Pro2 Photo.

Wish you good luck!

enduser

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2020, 08:10:01 pm »

Michael, do you have an English version of that page and how to buy from you, including postage to Australia?

MichaelKoerner

• www.medien-atelier.at
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2020, 11:51:57 am »

Sent you a PM.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2020, 12:32:15 pm »

bit off topic;
Makes me realize how lucky i am with my HP Z3100 printer that i can make a 400 patch ICC profile on the spot in 20 minutes automatically and even use a 1728 patch target. For any paper and any ink load i choose to use. Also it can make ICC profiles for other printers automatically.
A second hand HPZ3200 will not be much more expensive than a new manual used i1Pro2 Photo.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

MichaelKoerner

• www.medien-atelier.at
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2020, 01:02:54 pm »

bit off topic;
Makes me realize how lucky i am with my HP Z3100 printer that i can make a 400 patch ICC profile on the spot in 20 minutes automatically and even use a 1728 patch target. For any paper and any ink load i choose to use. Also it can make ICC profiles for other printers automatically.
A second hand HPZ3200 will not be much more expensive than a new manual used i1Pro2 Photo.

+1
Pages: [1]   Go Up