Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ACR Update - Where is Preview-only Sharpening?  (Read 1325 times)

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
ACR Update - Where is Preview-only Sharpening?
« on: June 18, 2020, 04:51:41 am »

In the June 2020 update, the option for Preview-only Sharpening seems to be gone. Earlier you had the option of applying Sharpening to only the preview in ACR and when you exported the file to Photoshop the sharpening did not carry over. Now I see (unless I'm missing something) there is no way to do this and the sharpening carries over to PS.

nirpat89

• Photography by Niranjan Patel
Re: ACR Update - Where is Preview-only Sharpening?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2020, 04:39:43 pm »

I am using the earlier version (11.x) and it's not there either (checking the Camera Raw Preferences.)  Are you sure it hasn't been gone for a while? 

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2020, 05:16:59 am »

I am using the earlier version (11.x) and it's not there either (checking the Camera Raw Preferences.)  Are you sure it hasn't been gone for a while?

Niranjan,

If it indeed was taken away quietly before this latest update, it is truly foul of Adobe to not provide a warning to the user.

Someone else also noticed this following the latest update and posted it to the Adobe forum.

nirpat89

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2020, 07:18:09 am »

Niranjan,

If it indeed was taken away quietly before this latest update, it is truly foul of Adobe to not provide a warning to the user.

Someone else also noticed this following the latest update and posted it to the Adobe forum.

Oops!  :-[  It is there on my version.....was looking at the wrong section (Default Image Settings) whereas it is actually in the General section.

Curious though....why would you do sharpening in the raw but not want it carry over to Photoshop. 

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2020, 09:07:48 am »

Oops!  :-[  It is there on my version.....was looking at the wrong section (Default Image Settings) whereas it is actually in the General section.

Curious though....why would you do sharpening in the raw but not want it carry over to Photoshop.

Thanks for the clarification.

I prefer to do capture sharpening usually with FocusMagic, occasionally with Topaz AI Sharpen, both of which are Photoshop plugins.

nirpat89

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2020, 09:30:25 am »

Thanks for the clarification.

I prefer to do capture sharpening usually with FocusMagic, occasionally with Topaz AI Sharpen, both of which are Photoshop plugins.

Got it....thanks.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2020, 11:28:40 am »

Parametric (true) non destructive edits applied on totally different data, using a different kind of algorithm (adaptive sharpening), using a true sharpening workflow as outlined here:
http://creativepro.com/out-of-gamut-thoughts-a-sharpening-workflow/
IOW, there's lots of good reasons to do it in LR/ACR.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2020, 01:47:53 pm »

Responding to my question, Julienne Kost confirms on her blog that the feature has indeed been removed. See attachment.
Pages: [1]   Go Up