Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: On the Beach - Working the Scene  (Read 594 times)

Dave (Isle of Skye)

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2628
  • I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
On the Beach - Working the Scene
« on: June 16, 2020, 05:38:31 am »

We have spent so much time wandering across this tiny little beach on Skye during lock down, that we are now starting to refer to it as "Our Beach" and which is only about 3/4 of a mile long and 1/4 of a mile wide, and that is only at the very lowest point of the tide. So even though I have photographed this location many times before for a chapter in my book, I had obviously never realised just how much more I could get from this one location, until it became the only place I could go to day after day - so the main lesson I have learnt during this lock down period, is to just keep going back to the same location over and over again, because even when you think you have seen every part of it and every detail and from every conceivable angle and at different times of day and the year etc., that in reality you probably haven't even begun to scratch the surface of what else is available to you if you just keep going back to the same spot again and again :)

The first two shots are looking North West and the other two shots are looking South East but from standing on pretty much the same spot on the beach, but shot over several different days of course.

There are some amazingly weird clouds in the fourth shot shown here if you look at it at 100%  ;)

Dave
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 06:54:03 am by Dave (Isle of Skye) »
Logged

Eric Myrvaagnes

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 22813
  • http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: On the Beach - Working the Scene
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2020, 01:36:13 pm »

Wow! What a goldmine is that beach!

I usually visit my favorite beach in the winter months when there aren't crowds of people around. Unfortunately, it is now closed for the duration of the pandemic, so I didn't get to it at all this past winter.
Logged
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Paulo Bizarro

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 7522
    • http://www.paulobizarro.com
Re: On the Beach - Working the Scene
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2020, 03:38:47 am »

good set. My favourite is #2.

guido

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 668
Re: On the Beach - Working the Scene
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2020, 06:46:22 am »

Fine set!
Logged

francois

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 14432
Re: On the Beach - Working the Scene
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2020, 07:18:48 am »

All good but my favorite is #3. It's simpler and with a great depth. The colors are also very appealing.
Logged
Francois

Dave (Isle of Skye)

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2628
  • I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
Re: On the Beach - Working the Scene
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2020, 09:36:47 am »

Well thank you all once again guys, as you do keep making this normally grumpy old man, very happy indeed.  ;D ;D ;D

Dave
Logged

BAB

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 535
Re: On the Beach - Working the Scene
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2020, 02:28:29 pm »

Dave
As usual your images from Skye make me crazy I really want to get there some day my preferred time of year would be late September early October to get the unusual weather patterns yielding that special light.

Ive never done this before but couldn't help noticing the blue contamination in your Jpeg post of this image to my eyes. So I hope you don't mind that I processed it to my liking? A bit more punch in the whites to get rid of Sonys global blue color in the file and gave some selective contrast to the rather flat file (my opinion HUH).

 I like the shot better now just wanted to see what I could do there with my PP. Looks like a great area to make some pano shots with a longer lens to bring those mountains closer.
Logged
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kic

Dave (Isle of Skye)

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2628
  • I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
Re: On the Beach - Working the Scene
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2020, 04:32:53 pm »

Dave
As usual your images from Skye make me crazy I really want to get there some day my preferred time of year would be late September early October to get the unusual weather patterns yielding that special light.


I think the best time to be here is towards the end of October, the midges have all gone away as well as most of the visitors to the area, also we usually start to get some snow on the peaks around that time and the autumn colours are usually getting into full swing by then. Also the light can be amazing at this time with the sun being lower and so providing you with lots of nice contrasty sidelight - but having said all that, any time in winter can also be amazing, but you must also remember, that the weather can be somewhat unpredictable up here, but then again I think that can also be amazing for photography.

Ive never done this before but couldn't help noticing the blue contamination in your Jpeg post of this image to my eyes. So I hope you don't mind that I processed it to my liking? A bit more punch in the whites to get rid of Sonys global blue color in the file and gave some selective contrast to the rather flat file (my opinion HUH).

I like the shot better now just wanted to see what I could do there with my PP. Looks like a great area to make some pano shots with a longer lens to bring those mountains closer.

Ah, colour balancing an image, what a huge topic that is and no I do not mind you or anyone else tweaking any of my images at all, never have minded and never will. And yes I do like your corrected version, which is quite a subtle correction, but none the less still very much there, and in fact I would even go as far as to say that I prefer your version of it to mine, so thanks for that BAB :) - but - I also have to say that it is a difficult thing for us photographers to keep our work truthful if we are being honest for a moment (truthful isn't perhaps the right word to use here, but I can't think of any other just now), as to how the light temperature actually was at the time we took any image, because if we then continue on and discuss this image in particular, then the light coming down from the predominantly clear parts of the sky on that day, was indeed very blue and as the reflections from the water were also reflecting all that blueness (or probably a slightly darker version of it) around the foreground and mid ground of the scene as well, then wouldn't that mean that the scene and any image of it that was trying to truly represent it, should show that? Now please BAB do not think I am saying you are wrong here, as I am definitely not and in fact I am saying the opposite and that your version is probably more correct than mine, it is just that all I am also trying to say is, how can we ever know what the true colour temperature of any image should be, given that we all see colour slightly differently and so do our cameras and even our calibrated monitors etc and even depending on what time of day it was when we worked on an image and even what mood we were in at the time we were editing it. So other than using grey cards (and which can also be different, depending on who made it, what quality it is and how old it is etc), then surely it must always come down to what we prefer as individuals and what fits in with our tastes at the time, rather than what is technically correct. And in this case I agree your version of it looks more correct than mine, but what am I also trying to say is, how can we ever define which correct is the correct correct, if there are always going to be so many corrects to choose from??

And yes I agree that the Sony sensor in my camera might also tend to lean towards the blue end of the spectrum, but if I had then fully and correctly balanced the scene according to the numbers in PS, which of course I tried, then all that blue was simply replaced by grey. So even though that was also a correct rendition of the image technically and according to PS, it was not a version of correct that I was happy with, so I edited it as I thought I remembered it looking at the time and then subsequently my correct version turned out to be not your correct version etc., and then before we all know it, we have all disappeared down a rather large rabbit hole.

So all very fascinating stuff really and as I said at the beginning of my reply BAB, I really do prefer your 'correct' version of this image to my 'correct' version of this image, but if we are honest, does either of them really get us any closer to what the scene truly looked like at the time I was there, or are these slightly different correct versions, just based more on our own individual preferences???

I did enjoy thinking about this BAB, so thanks again   ;)

Here is another another couple of images from the same locations but from years apart (one was shot on a Canon, so you would think that should err towards red as Canon sensors were well known for that back then), but other than that, can you tell which sensor produced which file without looking into the exif data? Probably not, so perhaps it is my eyes that tend towards blue and so my correct is slightly more blue than your correct and so on - I am now going to stop, as I fear I have just gone and jumped head first down that rabbit hole  ::)

Dave
« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 04:53:36 pm by Dave (Isle of Skye) »
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up