Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson P5000 - How Much Space is Really Needed  (Read 698 times)

pflower

Epson P5000 - How Much Space is Really Needed
« on: June 11, 2020, 03:31:00 pm »

I am in the process of thinking about replacing my 3880 with the P5000.  But space is a bit of concern as regards how close I can position it to a wall behind it.

I have read a number of reviews about it but am unclear about one thing - what distance is needed behind it to load A2 sheet paper and to use the roll facility.

My 3880 has a rear feed through which I can load A2 paper (the best way of doing so) but my understanding is that the P5000 does not have the same rear feeder and A2 needs to be loaded from the front.  Is that right?  If so how much clearance does the machine need to the back wall behind it to operate. both with loading single sheets of A2 and using the roll holder?

Anyone with experience of this machine able to advise?

Thanks

Mick Sang

Re: Epson P5000 - How Much Space is Really Needed
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2020, 05:43:11 pm »

The space between the wall and our P5000 is 2" from wall to edge of roll cover. This has never been a problem. You just need enough space to be able to fully open the cover. We load rolls and all sheets from the front and top. Never has been a need to get behind the printer.

I hope this is helpful,

Mick

Rand47

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2020, 07:54:46 pm »

I am in the process of thinking about replacing my 3880 with the P5000.  But space is a bit of concern as regards how close I can position it to a wall behind it.

I have read a number of reviews about it but am unclear about one thing - what distance is needed behind it to load A2 sheet paper and to use the roll facility.

My 3880 has a rear feed through which I can load A2 paper (the best way of doing so) but my understanding is that the P5000 does not have the same rear feeder and A2 needs to be loaded from the front.  Is that right?  If so how much clearance does the machine need to the back wall behind it to operate. both with loading single sheets of A2 and using the roll holder?

Anyone with experience of this machine able to advise?

Thanks

I'm going to differ from Mick a bit here.  He's 100% correct as long as you're using the top sheet feed, or roll feed.  If you use the Fine Art Front feed (for thicker papers) you need room "out the back" for the paper to extend beyond the rear of the printer.  Epson says in the manual that for A2 you need 370mm (14.5669 inches) behind the printer for the paper to exit w/o hitting anything (wall?) (See page 22 in the manual) .  In my case I solved this issue by creating a gently curved, very smooth, riser that starts at the rear exit "port" and curves up to the wall behind the printer.  Thereby gently guiding the paper "up the wall" without kinking it.  Works a treat. A little experimentation resulted in being able to have the printer about 7" from the wall behind it.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

pflower

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2020, 12:09:07 pm »

Thanks, that sounds like an ingenious solution.  I might be struggling with a 14 inch gap.  Not impossible but could be awkward.

Any chance you could post a pic of your setup?

Thanks again

I'm going to differ from Mick a bit here.  He's 100% correct as long as you're using the top sheet feed, or roll feed.  If you use the Fine Art Front feed (for thicker papers) you need room "out the back" for the paper to extend beyond the rear of the printer.  Epson says in the manual that for A2 you need 370mm (14.5669 inches) behind the printer for the paper to exit w/o hitting anything (wall?) (See page 22 in the manual) .  In my case I solved this issue by creating a gently curved, very smooth, riser that starts at the rear exit "port" and curves up to the wall behind the printer.  Thereby gently guiding the paper "up the wall" without kinking it.  Works a treat. A little experimentation resulted in being able to have the printer about 7" from the wall behind it.

Rand

Mick Sang

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2020, 05:25:06 pm »

In my case I solved this issue by creating a gently curved, very smooth, riser that starts at the rear exit "port" and curves up to the wall behind the printer.  Thereby gently guiding the paper "up the wall" without kinking it.  Works a treat. A little experimentation resulted in being able to have the printer about 7" from the wall behind it.

That is indeed a good idea. I wonder what papers that would accommodate. The heaviest papers that we print though the P5000 are Hahnemuhle Museum Etching and William Turner (350gsm). Never had a problem.

In any case, another approach might be to have a roller mechanism on the legs or base of the table on which the printer sits (for example fridge rollers) which would allow one to pull it forward if or when more room is required behind it. Nevertheless, I've yet to see a need.

Mick
Pages: [1]   Go Up