Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tripod Head: recommendations for fine adjustment work...?  (Read 3411 times)

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
Re: Tripod Hchael,ead: recommendations for fine adjustment work...?
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2020, 10:56:53 am »

What did happen to Burzynski? He seems to have 'disappeared' suddenly. His ballheads are no longer available :( I still have one, bought many years ago and I sure will never sell it!

I do use a cube for the finer adjustments. A cube with an RRS clamp attached to it. It seems that only with the older cubes it is easy to replace the clamp?

Burzynski is still there, only a little harder to reach. Search this forum (or NikonGear.com) and there is a thread with data how to reach him.

Both of my Cubes have RRS clamps
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 03:14:32 am by Michael Erlewine »
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com. Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com, YouTube.com/user/merlewine

leuallen

Re: Tripod Head: recommendations for fine adjustment work...?
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2020, 12:08:44 am »

I just received a Sunway geared head. As a point of reference I have the Manfrotto 410, Arca D4, Benro, and now Sunway. All geared heads. I am limited to shooting from the car or very close by due to health. From a car long lenses are usually required and since I do a lot of sunrise and panorama work I need a good car window mount. The D4 lives on my large tripod and is of course unparalleled. Love to have one for the window mount but it is just too expensive, one is a luxury. The 410 is out because it is too large and I don't like the way it handles. So I got a Benro. It is close to what I need but I found the knobs to be poorly placed so that it interferes with with Acratech leveling base and also with the lens tripod collar. That is awkward, requires work arrounds, and gets in the way when I am trying to work fast. So I got the Sunway. I like it. The gearing seems smoother than the Benro. No backlash. It has a fold out handle on the knobs for quick adjustment rather then the concentric clutch knobs on the Benro. The clutch knob on the Benro is awkward to use and difficult to turn, the Sunway is a better solution, but the best is the D4 with the lever disengagement. The Benro has a geared rotation movement and the Sunway does not. Score one for the Benro. It is useful for panoramas. Determine how much rotation is required for the focal length used to give one third displacement of the image. Then a little practice and you can move through the panorama quite quickly by repeating the knob rotation. Speed is important when you have fast moving clouds or the sun has just come up. But Sunway is no slouch. The rotation has a fair amount of drag and is smooth. The D4 is much looser and this is point about it I don't like. It seems easier to position the Sunway. The Sunway also has rotation at the top with the dovetail clamp like the D4. This is a feature that does not mean much to me. The Sunway is less bulky than the Benro and fits the window mount better.

The fit and finish on the Sunway is very good, better than the Benro. They both cost about $250. The Sunway is the better buy.

Fraktal

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2020, 09:30:15 am »

I own the Manfrotto 410 but use it very seldom now. Bought a Sunway GH to replace the 410 but the Sunway is much to unstable and wobbly - so completely unusable for my work ( and a very unfriendly customer support.) The Leofoto G2 is very lightweight and compact so i use it  when weight is important but it has ist limitations.  The D4 did not meet my expectations when i tried it at my local dealer but i think this was a defective D4. Finally i bought the Rogetti and the only complaint is that the knobs are to small and i fear that when the temperatures are very low it will be a pain to use but till now the Rogetti GH did convince me the most.  Just my 2C.

Dinarius

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2020, 10:26:48 am »

There's a review of the Rogeti RG-1 here.

Interesting.

One of my Manfrotto 405 heads has just been repaired Studio 1 in UK. Superb service.

Like I wrote above, when they work they're great. I've never owned the smaller 410. Struck me as a bit small for medium-format.

D.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up