Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Road to Elgol  (Read 426 times)

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
The Road to Elgol
« on: June 07, 2020, 11:41:38 am »

This is a road on Skye I have travelled down a lot and mostly in eager anticipation of what wonderful things I am about to discover along the way.

Dave
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 11:45:02 am by Dave (Isle of Skye) »

Peter McLennan

Re: The Road to Elgol
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2020, 12:11:35 pm »

Perfect!  A classic.  Photography class in a single image.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2020, 12:21:33 pm »

Lovely: the glint of sun reflected off the road is very attractive.

Jeremy

Cornfield

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2020, 12:38:19 pm »

Really strong image from a great location.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2020, 01:56:53 pm »

+1

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2020, 02:28:25 pm »

+2
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2020, 06:17:51 pm »

+3.

That road really pulls you in.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2020, 05:47:56 am »

Wow thanks everybody.

...A classic.

That's the exact word my wife used to describe it when she saw it the other day just after I had taken it and as she is my fiercest (and best) critic, I thought, Mmm, well I must be doing something right if the boss likes it :)

Thanks again everyone and I really am so glad you all seem to like it. So when I go out again later today with my camera, I will be doing so with a newly invigorated spring in my step and it will be all thanks to you guys  ;)

Dave

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2020, 05:52:53 am »

Great shot.

guido

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2020, 12:36:07 pm »

Well seen and captured Dave!

KMRennie

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2020, 03:05:04 pm »

Terrific shapes and textures allied to a great composition. Your photoguide arrived today so it sits in quarantine for 3 days until Saturday and then I can enjoy a beer and a good read and finally find out where Elgol is ;) Ken

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2020, 06:51:56 pm »

Thanks again everyone and I remain just as chuffed as I was the other day when I first replied, to know that you all seem to like this shot so much  ;D

Terrific shapes and textures allied to a great composition. Your photoguide arrived today so it sits in quarantine for 3 days until Saturday and then I can enjoy a beer and a good read and finally find out where Elgol is ;) Ken

I knew it was you Ken, but I didn't want to mention it on here without you mentioning it first and yes I am sure (or should that be I really hope) that you will enjoy reading it - and you must be pulling my leg about not knowing where Elgol is. You are aren't you, surely??? Because if you haven't been to Elgol before, then you are really going to enjoy yourself when you do, it really is an amazing place and I am sure the shots you will walk away when you have been there will also be amazing, so I can't wait to see what you do there.

If you want to know where I took the shot above Ken (because this shot isn't in the book, as I had to stop adding images into it at some point and could have easily stuck in another couple of hundred or so), then if you read the paragraph at the bottom of page 51 and if you have parked where I suggest, than as you walk down the road a few yards to the tight left hand bend, you will see the scene above  ;)

Dave
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 07:01:50 pm by Dave (Isle of Skye) »

KMRennie

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2020, 07:30:47 pm »

Thanks again everyone and I remain just as chuffed as I was the other day when I first replied, to know that you all seem to like this shot so much  ;D

I knew it was you Ken, but I didn't want to mention it on here without you mentioning it first and yes I am sure (or should that be I really hope) that you will enjoy reading it - and you must be pulling my leg about not knowing where Elgol is. You are aren't you, surely??? Because if you haven't been to Elgol before, then you are really going to enjoy yourself when you do, it really is an amazing place and I am sure the shots you will walk away when you have been there will also be amazing, so I can't wait to see what you do there.

If you want to know where I took the shot above Ken (because this shot isn't in the book, as I had to stop adding images into it at some point and could have easily stuck in another couple of hundred or so), then if you read the paragraph at the bottom of page 51 and if you have parked where I suggest, than as you walk down the road a few yards to the tight left hand bend, you will see the scene above  ;)

Dave
I am pulling your leg, I even won a photo contest with an Elgol imge. My only problem is every time that I visit Elgol it is flat calm, blue sky, no waves when I am looking for a touch of drama. Ken

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2020, 11:52:35 am »

I am pulling your leg, I even won a photo contest with an Elgol imge. My only problem is every time that I visit Elgol it is flat calm, blue sky, no waves when I am looking for a touch of drama. Ken

Perhaps a visit to Elgol in the depths of winter might work Ken, as we often get some serious (Gale force type) weather around that time of year, but I do agree the sea around Skye isn't usually that dramatic with high waves, as there are so many tiny islands, inlets and skerries around this part of the coast, that they tend to take most of the energy out of the waves before they reach land - might I suggest going to Talisker Bay (discussed on page 96) just before or just after a storm, as we can often get some really good wave action in that bay and it is also West facing, so also really good for sunsets as well  ;)

Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up