Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 9890 - Printhead moves full width without printing  (Read 390 times)

Cornelius

• photographer based in switzerland
    • Cornelius Fischer
Epson 9890 - Printhead moves full width without printing
« on: June 05, 2020, 09:41:29 am »

Hi guys

I have a really strange behavior on my Epson 9890. After finishing a print (24' roll), the printer somehow lost the paper width. When trying to print a nozzle check the printhead moves over the full width (44') without printing. Even when I remove the roll paper and switch over to sheet paper, the same happens.

Tried to restart the printer, tried to print from Lightroom on different paper sizes. It's just not working. When printing a 60x90cm on 24' roll paper, the printer says the paper size is wrong.

Any ideas what's wrong? Need my plotter back to work as I'm currently printing a exhibition which needs to be printed till Monday.. 😫

Garnick

Re: Epson 9890 - Printhead moves full width without printing
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2020, 10:00:09 am »

Just a thought.  Over all my years with these printers I've found that simply turning the printer off and then restarting doesn't always do what you might think it should do.  I have found that if I need to power off the printer to perhaps fix an issue, I also need to pull the plug.  In that case I would let the printer sit for a few minutes before plugging in and then a restart.  Not sure why that works, and certainly not saying it might work for your printer, but it can't hurt to try.  That is indeed a rather peculiar issue to track down.

Wishing you good luck, hopefully soon. 😀👍👍👍

EDIT:  One more possibility.  Check to see if the Paper Size Check is ON.  If not, turn it ON.  I have no idea how it could have been be turned OFF, unless by accident, but a look will confirm that. 
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 10:09:20 am by Garnick »
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

I.T. Supplies

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2020, 10:11:26 am »

From what Gary stated is a good idea.  Also, you may want to hold down the power button while it's unplugged for about 10 seconds.  A former assistant tech of our company told me this and it basically discharges the unit and sort of refreshes it.  If you just turn it off, it may not really do much except for a memory refresh (removes any print jobs in the q).

But good luck and hope these options help!

Cornelius

• Cornelius Fischer
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2020, 10:20:15 am »

Just tried to unplug and wait for a couple of minutes. Also hold the power button for 10s. Same issue after restarting. :-(

Paper Size Check is ON.
Firmware updated..

Printer still not printing and moving printhead over to full width when trying to print a nozzle check.  😕

Cornelius

• Cornelius Fischer
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2020, 10:45:48 am »

Just found in the manual a hint about a (sorry German manual) "Motor Selbstjustierung". Which means something like "motor self alignment".
Tried to start a print job again (a4) page, and now the printer display tells me, that he is aligning the motor and I shall wait 3 minutes.. 🤔 let's hope that's the issue..

Cornelius

• Cornelius Fischer
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2020, 10:47:29 am »

hurray!! Printing again!

Never had this "motor adjustment" before.. let's continue with the exhibition prints.
Thx guys!

Garnick

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2020, 11:04:17 am »

Aligning the Motor.  Sounds like what a tech referred to as a calibration procedure in which the carriage would travel back and forth for about 45 runs.  I don't recall that happening with the P7000, but certainly with the SP-9900. As a matter of fact I once counted the carriage runs and it was exactly 45.  The first time I encountered that procedure I thought the printer had lost its marbles, but as it turned out it was I who lost my marbles. That was fine, as long as the printer was working properly.  I imagine the P7000 does the calibration occasionally as well, but I've never been there to see it.  Don't know why I hadn't thought of that as well.  I'll have to start finding more marbles I suppose. 🤪

Gary 
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)
Pages: [1]   Go Up