Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nik Collection 3  (Read 1372 times)

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
Nik Collection 3
« on: June 05, 2020, 09:12:02 am »

Just released. A discounted upgrade option is available. So far as I can tell, the DxO website does not explain what the enhancements are (but I upgraded anyway). A brief video shows that a new tool, Perspective Efex, has been added to the suite. I see that it is the separate tool DxO Viewpoint repackaged under a different name.

https://nikcollection.dxo.com/
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 09:15:04 am by Rajan Parrikar »

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Re: Nik Collection 3
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2020, 02:01:00 pm »

Have you noticed any improvements to any of the other modules, Rajan? I'm thinking particularly of SFX and ColorFX, which are the two I use the most.

Jeremy

rdonson

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2020, 09:11:25 pm »

I bought it and played with it shortly today.  It seems like it was faster than the previous version.  The non-destructive editing will be a boon to many IMHO. 
Regards,
Ron

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2020, 04:07:29 am »

How does the non-destructive editing differ from what we've always been able to do by using a smart object in PS?

Jeremy

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2020, 04:25:10 am »

Have you noticed any improvements to any of the other modules, Rajan? I'm thinking particularly of SFX and ColorFX, which are the two I use the most.

Jeremy

Jeremy,

I haven't played with it much. ColorEfex feels more responsive in terms of speed (but this is a feelings-based, not data-based observation). Also, there is now a panel within Photoshop where you can access the whole suite (to me this is a cosmetic change).

rdonson

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2020, 11:24:59 am »

How does the non-destructive editing differ from what we've always been able to do by using a smart object in PS?

Jeremy

This explains it better than I can...

https://petapixel.com/2020/06/03/dxo-unveils-nik-collection-3-with-new-plugin-non-destructive-editing-and-more/

https://photofocus.com/software/a-first-look-at-nik-collection-3/
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 11:29:31 am by rdonson »
Regards,
Ron

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2020, 12:49:08 pm »

Thanks, Rajan and Ron. I gave the last upgrade a miss, as it was really just a bunch of presets, but I expect I'll get this one.

Jeremy

drralph

• Ralph's Instagram
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2020, 07:54:07 am »

I bought Nik in 2013 from Google for $135, before it was free and before it was acquired by DxO.  Seems like I am out of luck on "upgrade" pricing.  When I click on the Upgrade button, the first screen requires a DxO account.

Eric Brody

• http://www.ericbrodyphoto.com
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2020, 04:05:18 pm »

I've been using Silver Effex since paying for it a long time ago, 2010. I've been using it in Photoshop as a smart filter as one of the last things I do with an image before printing (sometimes I do some minor modifications above the Silver Effex layer). Sometimes it's better than a Photoshop black and white layer, sometimes not so different. It is easy to ruin an image with overuse of things like "structure" and "soft contrast." My favorite photographic artist, and best Photoshop teacher, Charles Cramer, does not use any of these products, and makes pretty impressive images without Nik (and without luminosity masking either, by the way).

I do not use it in Lightroom at all and only occasionally use Color Effex. In playing with the trial, I've not seen any changes for my use. Aside from the admittedly unscientific comments about speed, has anyone noted any significant improvements in any of the modules?

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2020, 04:24:06 am »

I've been using Silver Effex since paying for it a long time ago, 2010. I've been using it in Photoshop as a smart filter as one of the last things I do with an image before printing (sometimes I do some minor modifications above the Silver Effex layer). Sometimes it's better than a Photoshop black and white layer, sometimes not so different. It is easy to ruin an image with overuse of things like "structure" and "soft contrast." My favorite photographic artist, and best Photoshop teacher, Charles Cramer, does not use any of these products, and makes pretty impressive images without Nik (and without luminosity masking either, by the way).

I do not use it in Lightroom at all and only occasionally use Color Effex. In playing with the trial, I've not seen any changes for my use. Aside from the admittedly unscientific comments about speed, has anyone noted any significant improvements in any of the modules?

Eric, there's no doubt that overuse of tools can produce some horrifically ugly results; the art of using programs such as SFX lies in a degree of self-restraint and an ability to take a step back at the end of processing and wonder "have I overcooked this?". Color Efex is a good example: I use the Detail Extractor, with a light touch, and am generally pleased with the results.

For myself, I concede that I am not in Cramer's league and I need all the help I can get. I find SFX gives me monochrome images that exceed anything I can do in LR (which I used for years before giving SFX a try and being blown away by the results).

I've not noticed any significant change to the function of the existing modules yet, but I've been using it for a couple of days only. I'm unconvinced that the ability to do non-destructive editing directly from LR is a real improvement on the existing ability to do it using a smart object in PS. Whether or not the perspective correction tool (which can't work in non-destructive mode) is any better than LR's, I've yet to determine, but I don't use LR's very much.

All I can say as yet is that the upgrade wasn't terribly expensive and the purchase and installation procedures ran very smoothly.

Jeremy

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2020, 05:13:46 am »

As Jeremy says, these plugins are best deployed with a light touch. Color Efex is very useful. I don't use Silver Efex. Pace Charlie Cramer, the approach for black & white conversion that works best in my experience is luminosity masks, in particular, in the manner implemented by Tony Kuyper's panel (you can do the same with panels offered by others). Black & white follows naturally from luminosity masks, and Kuyper's panel is extremely powerful as it allows arithmetic manipulations on the masks generated. He demonstrates some of these techniques in this short video -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zD5IpvWOD8

Arlen

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2020, 12:20:42 pm »

I've been using the Nik plugins for years, and I upgraded when DxO took it over. But it doesn't look like there is much in this latest upgrade for me. The biggest new feature is the DxO Viewpoint software, a worthwhile addition for those that don't already have that as a stand-alone program. But I do. And the other new features seem minor or not useful to me. I do wonder if DxO is consolidating their software, merging Nik with DxO Viewpoint and Photolab, and eventually we may not see them existing independently.

Eric Brody

• http://www.ericbrodyphoto.com
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2020, 01:17:32 pm »

Thanks Jeremy, I agree that a light hand is important with all plugins and also with Arlen. I've seen nothing genuinely new in the products I use the most so have skipped the last two "upgrades" and may skip this one as well.

Were they to add a targeted adjustment tool, that would definitely get my attention. The lack thereof is one of my major frustrations with the Nik/DXO programs.

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2020, 01:39:07 pm »

I've been using the Nik plugins for years, and I upgraded when DxO took it over. But it doesn't look like there is much in this latest upgrade for me. The biggest new feature is the DxO Viewpoint software, a worthwhile addition for those that don't already have that as a stand-alone program. But I do. And the other new features seem minor or not useful to me. I do wonder if DxO is consolidating their software, merging Nik with DxO Viewpoint and Photolab, and eventually we may not see them existing independently.

I have found that the inbuilt tool in Adobe ACR/Lightroom often does better than DxO Viewpoint for perspective correction. The additional (and useful) feature in DxO Viewpoint is the correction for volume deformation.

Arlen

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2020, 01:54:56 pm »

I agree, Rajan. Volume Deformation is the reason I have DxO Viewpoint.
Pages: [1]   Go Up