Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 8 min photo animation film of a drive across Canada  (Read 450 times)

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
8 min photo animation film of a drive across Canada
« on: June 04, 2020, 10:02:04 am »

Interesting notes on the making of the film too, . The scenes flash by pretty quickly but I recognized some spots.
--
Robert

Rob C

Re: 8 min photo animation film of a drive across Canada
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2020, 11:40:04 am »

Canada appears to have some terrible problems with hills, and a road budget that doesn't lend itself to cuttings through them. The trucks drive far too fast and I could swear that at one point, one actually took all wheels off the ground as it crested.

The photographer also drives too fast: speeding off the highway onto a track, the vehicle ended up inches from the dunes! Efficient brakes, though. I quite enjoyed some of the spectacular four-wheel drifting.

;-)

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2020, 02:40:24 pm »

I recall that some 10 years ago, Michael Reichmann and Chris Sanderson showed their car trip from Toronto to St. Miguel de Allende in Mexico in a similar time lapse video on Lula.

churly

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2020, 07:25:34 pm »

As usual, the cross Canada trip ends at Nova Scotia and 1/2 a time zone too soon.  :)
Chuck Hurich

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2020, 09:38:16 pm »

As usual, the cross Canada trip ends at Nova Scotia and 1/2 a time zone too soon.  :)

Yeah, that bothered me too. I wanted to see the images from aboard the ferry and some footage from the rock. Maybe he doesn't like crossing water.
--
Robert

Peter McLennan

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2020, 12:08:49 pm »

I recall that some 10 years ago, Michael Reichmann and Chris Sanderson showed their car trip from Toronto to St. Miguel de Allende in Mexico in a similar time lapse video on Lula.

Not even close. This film is far more difficult to make, far more thought provoking and far more entertaining to watch.

While an interesting document, Michael and Chris simply recorded a dashcam's view.  This project is an insanely complex production rendered in After Effects using nothing but cleverly chosen and photographed still images, many of which are shot with a very long lens.

John Camp

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2020, 12:20:05 pm »

I enjoyed it, but I think I would have enjoyed it more if it had been slower -- slow enough that you could read some of the signs along the way. I've driven parts of that highway and would have liked to know where I was at, at any given point.

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2020, 01:01:06 pm »

I enjoyed it, but I think I would have enjoyed it more if it had been slower -- slow enough that you could read some of the signs along the way. I've driven parts of that highway and would have liked to know where I was at, at any given point.

I know what you mean. Must have been a tough call on for them, if the scenes proceeded slower then it wouldn't be an 8 min film anymore.

I was able to recognize the highway east of Banff near Canmore but had to pause to read a highway exit sign to confirm. I recognized the tall stack at Copper Cliff in Sudbury right away however, as well as the unique hill formations on highway 20 east of Quebec City near La Pocatière
--
Robert

John R

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2020, 10:14:15 pm »

I found the video interesting. But I do agree with John, it could use a mix of slow and fast paced scenes. I recognized beautiful PEI with its red soil and occasional gentle rolling hills (a cyclist's paradise), and 40 shades of green which I also found in this song that I used for my slide show on PEI.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 03:03:07 am by John R »

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2020, 10:51:35 pm »

Has anyone done something like this using Google maps where you can move along on the roads at road level?

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2020, 11:13:38 pm »

Has anyone done something like this using Google maps where you can move along on the roads at road level?

At i95 Highway speed or at Autobahn speed?
Pages: [1]   Go Up