Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Myth of Systemic Racism  (Read 4358 times)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
Re: The Myth of Systemic Racism
« Reply #120 on: June 05, 2020, 12:28:11 am »

Too funny.

But seriously, how can you report on such a charade in a serious way.

I watched some of the video, till I couldn't stand it anymore. I long ago stopped expecting much from Trump, so the silly parade and the mute standing holding a bible is just one more stupid thing he did. But I have to wonder what's going through the minds of his staff who have to join in on the third-rate parade. Reminded me more than anything of a Soviet show trial, for some reason. What kind of spineless gorm lives a life where they have to playact their way through phoney scenes like this. I get it that "shows" happen in politics all the time, but geez, this wasn't even a good show. It was "high school".
President Bush did it with style. After America beat Saddam Hussein and won the Iraq war, he flew in a jet and landed it on an aircraft carrier as the cameras rolled.  Then he steps out of the plane in his aviator leather jacket with aviator sunglasses looking like Tom Cruise and the whole ship, erupts in applause and hoots and hollers.  Of course the huge sign "Mission Accomplished" came back to haunt him.  But he surely showed Hollywood a thing or two at the time. 

Now that's how to do a photo op.  :)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #121 on: June 05, 2020, 12:42:14 am »

Not so fast.  You are forgetting three tiny details:  the video, the video, and the video.  I predict the jury will convict the cop of 2nd degree murder because the video is just too disturbing.  The jurors will not see incompetence, they will see cruelty.  And cruelty is close enough to intention.  And intention equals murder.  His goose is cooked.
I didn't forget anything.  I clearly stated in my post that I only saw ten seconds of a video with a cop with his knee on a guy's neck holding him down.  Most arrests look "cruel" while they're being done.  A cop is allowed to use force if required.  If the jury rules that the cop is guilty because they find how he did a legal act "cruel", then they would not be judging according to the law.  As a teenage kid, I once mouthed off to a cop.  He gave me a little rap with his night stick on my elbow that hurt like hell for a week.  Off course I didn't complain to my dad what happened or he would have been more "cruel" to me than the cop.  :)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #122 on: June 05, 2020, 12:59:24 am »

What I was saying was that your quotation of the statute didn't come through when I quoted your post, so I had to copy and paste. I was explaining that problem to other readers. Our quote machine apparently thinks that material was quoted from somewhere else on this tread, so did not pick it up.

I'm not a lawyer, so I don't know about the evincing a depraved mind thing, but that's what CNN's legal analyst said was the problem with the statute, that is not present in other 3rd degree statutes in other states that have them. I would think both "evincing" and "depraved" would be a problem. How do you evince something -- when you looked at that cop and what he was doing, he looked both calm and almost bored, even though he knew he was being recorded with a video camera. But, as I said, I'm not a lawyer, although the woman who made this claim is a former federal prosecutor in Minnesota and was apparently familiar with problems with that particular statute.
The three other cops looked bored and matter-of-factly too, like this was just another arrest like hundreds the cop did before.  Why would a 19 year veteran, not looking angry, rather calm, want to kill some guy who committed a minor, non-violent offense like passing a phony twenty dollar bill?  Is this the first time he arrested a black man?  Suddenly he decided to snuff out a man's life because he was black?  It doesn't make sense.  Other things were going on that we're not being told.  There seems to be a rush to judgment because of the politics of it.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #123 on: June 05, 2020, 01:20:43 am »

Rush to judgment?  I'd say this was a rush to quell the violence on the street and quiet the call for a hanging.   How do you charge a cop with four days on the job and another on his third shift ever?  Unfortunately, politics again has raised the stakes. I suspect that one or more will have charges dropped before the trial after things cool down a little.  Who'd want to be a cop today?

What we know about the four ex-police officers charged in George Floyd's death
One of the officers had been on the job four days. Another was on his third shift ever. The third was on the force since 2012 and is a Hmong, a tribe from Laos, and an Asian who was the one standing around but apparently never touched the victim. And Derek Chauvin, who pressed his knee into George Floyd's neck, was the field training officer for one of them.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/05/us/minneapolis-officers-background-george-floyd-trnd/index.html

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #124 on: June 05, 2020, 01:33:12 am »

Apparently, based on the deranged outrage in this forum, not just 20-and-30 somethings:

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #125 on: June 05, 2020, 03:06:56 am »

Enough.

Jeremy
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up