Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: iso specific import presets ???  (Read 2312 times)

zobelaudio

• zobeleye.com
iso specific import presets ???
« on: June 03, 2020, 06:27:40 am »

Guys,
still can't get my head around how this is working.
According to Julianne Kost, you can download an iso specific import preset. I have done that from here
https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/raw-defaults.html#iso-dependent-presets-examples
Now that I have imported and stored it with my cat, what does it do and how can I customise it and adjust it to my taste ?

And don't get it ...

cheers
stephan

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Re: iso specific import presets ???
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2020, 09:21:13 am »

Do you know how to edit an xmp file? If so, open up the file and look for the lines from <crs:ISODependent>. It should be obvious from that point.

If not, don't stress out. It was released half-baked, and I'm sure Adobe will introduce something more user friendly before too long.

As for what it does, imagine you shoot with Auto ISO enabled. Previously you needed one noise reduction/sharpening preset for each ISO value. These new presets interpolate those settings between ISOs.

zobelaudio

• zobeleye.com
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2020, 10:13:50 am »

hey John,
that's what I thought and had gathered from the post. only when I apply that preset, my 100iso files get zero NR, as intended, but 640 ISO files also get Zero NR, at least it doesn't show any in the NR box.
Will investigate further.
As always, why fix a thing that works?
Best
Stephan

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2020, 11:40:23 am »

Well, because it didn't work as well any longer. Increasingly people are choosing Auto ISO their cameras, and the old system's requirement to have one preset for each ISO. What a pain. The new method allows one preset to flex NR and other settings for all potential ISO speeds.

The question is better expressed as why expect people to hack xmp files? That's why I feel it was released in a form that isn't final.

You'd have to look into the preset's settings to see what's not happening in your case. You can certainly set it to ramp up NR and other values with ISO, so you might have one band up to 1000, another band up to 2000 and so on.

zobelaudio

• zobeleye.com
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2020, 01:52:27 pm »

#john
"You'd have to look into the preset's settings to see what's not happening in your case. You can certainly set it to ramp up NR and other values with ISO, so you might have one band up to 1000, another band up to 2000 and so on."

yeah, but how do I do that ???

rdonson

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2020, 05:51:18 pm »

I don't know it this is what you're after but I found it helpful although I'm not chasing ISO specific imports.  I just use presets a lot.

https://blogs.adobe.com/jkost/2020/02/how-to-customize-lightroom-classics-default-develop-settings-v9.html
Regards,
Ron

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2020, 08:47:30 pm »

And don't get it ...
cheers
stephan
+1 and i stay with version 9.1 till they have sorted it out.
Never had a program before that asked me to write my own software and brought it as an improvement.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2020, 03:03:35 am »

It is a much better solution than the previous system, but only if you can use Notepad or TextEdit.

My own solution was to write a script to generate the relevant xmp by averaging adjustments I'd previously applied  - see here. But Jakub Šerých made a web page which is a simpler approach where you enter your settings and it outputs a preset.

zobelaudio

• zobeleye.com
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2020, 10:58:28 am »

thanks John, will have a look at it

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2020, 09:26:37 am »

Try 9.3 which is just out. It lets you select two images with different ISOs and create an adaptive ISO preset.

And now you may want to re-read my initial reply ;)

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2020, 09:48:20 am »

That sounds good!

I just opened the adobe Creative Cloud App and downloaded version 9.3.
If i ask more info - you would expect to see the new changes in 9.3 - for that is the info you want to see.
but it is not there- only general info what the program is about.

after installing it is put in folder called Adobe Lightroom Classic 9.2   :-\

information about version 9.3 is found here:
https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/whats-new.html?
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

MBehrens

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2020, 12:59:25 pm »

LrC ISO Adaptive Presets.

Do we need to have an image for each major ISO setting (100, 200, 400, 800. etc)
Or do we simply provide a Base ISO image and an extended (max) ISO image and LrC will figure out the settings for the different ISO in between?

Julianne's instructions seem to state the latter, but also says select 2 or more images.
https://blogs.adobe.com/jkost/2020/02/how-to-customize-lightroom-classics-default-develop-settings-v9.html

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2020, 01:13:45 pm »

Adobe's blog states this (perhaps more clearly):

This special preset will adapt any of the Develop adjustments for ISO ranges between two
settings so you don’t have to set it manually. For example, you may set Luminance Noise Reduction to 0
for ISO 400 and to 10 for ISO 1600. When ISO adaptive presets are applied to images with “in-between”
ISO settings, the parameter values are linearly interpolated by the ISO value. In this example, ISO 800 is
considered halfway between ISO 400 and ISO 1600, so the Luminance Noise Reduction would be
adjusted to 5

Creating an ISO adaptive preset is different from normal presets. At least two images are required to define the high and low ISO points from which Adobe will adapt. However, you can define settings for as many points in between. Simply select multiple images (already processed) with the varying ISO speeds during the creation process, and the preset will adjust and adapt between your defined values. For example, if you defined Develop settings for ISO 200, 400, 1600, 2400, and 4000 in the past, you can now use just one adaptive preset to cover these five speeds and everything in between.

https://theblog.adobe.com/streamline-edits-with-the-improved-raw-defaults/
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2020, 02:51:56 pm »

Do we need to have an image for each major ISO setting (100, 200, 400, 800. etc)

No, that's the point of the ISO adaptive preset.

Or do we simply provide a Base ISO image and an extended (max) ISO image and LrC will figure out the settings for the different ISO in between?

Yes. And it interpolates on a stop basis.

To try it, find an ISO 100 image and one with say 3200, set their noise reduction and sharpening separately, one with almost none and the other with high values. Then create the adaptive preset targeting those sliders, apply it to ISO 200, 400, 800, 1600 images, and review the Detail panel settings.

Denis de Gannes

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2020, 09:21:24 pm »

I have updated to Lightroom Classic 9.3 and am in the process of creating an ISO specific Default Develop preset for my OM-D EM-1. I shot 4 images ISO 200, 400, 800, 1600. Processed at Adobe Default Color profile for all four images. Minimum Basic edits Clarity +20, Dehaze +5, Vibrance +15. I see no visible difference so do not see the need to continue since the ISO values is the normal limit I would use.
See a screen capture of a portion of the 200 and 1600 ISO images on my iMac 27" 5K screen at 1:1. The image has been resized in PS 2020 to post.
Equip: iMac (Ret. 5K,27"Mid 2015),macOS 10.15.6

MBehrens

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2020, 02:38:11 pm »

Thanks Andrew and John for the details.
I was looking at the noise chart at P2P for my camera Fuji X-T2: https://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/RN_ADU.htm#FujiFilm%20X-T2_14
And it has a "crook" at ISO 700-800. Was considering a 4 shot Adaptive ISO preset (200-700, 800-12800) but on second thought will probably only do a 2 shot. It will be very close and can always be tweaked.
As Denis shows this may not be as scientific as it is presented, images that do not have a strong shadow areas will not need as much noise reduction. An AI aspect to this would probably be better suited and probably in the works to analyze the image and apply a reasonable amount of noise reduction. Looking forward to the day when I enter my image processing preferences in a "preset" and AI figures out how to make it happen. Our current process of stamping static values on an image seems a bit archaic.

- Morey

kirkt

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2020, 09:59:26 am »

It appears that LR performs simple piecewise interpolation of a slider value between the slider values of the images (ISOs) that you feed it to construct the preset.  It is logarithmic, like ISO, but appears "linear" when you plot a slider value as a function of log(ISO).  See attached.

To probe the behavior of LR's new preset thing, I shot a sequence of images at 1/3EV ISO increments.  I made two presets: one where I specified the luminance NR slider setting at base ISO (160 for the Fujifilm X100 V) and ISO 6400; and one where I specified the NR slider setting at ISO 160, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200, 6400 and 12800.  I made presets of each of these conditions and then applied the preset to the sequence of images and read off the NR slider values that LR chose to fill in the blanks, so to speak.  In the plot, the NR slider values with points were specified at their respective ISO values - the line(s) between points represent LR's interpolation.  The more ISO values (with specified slider settings) you feed LR, the more control you have over shaping the behavior of the preset.  Also, it appears that LR does not perform extrapolation - so if you feed it a base ISO and an ISO 6400 image with various slider settings, for example, anything higher than ISO 6400 gets the same settings as the ISO 6400 settings. 

kirk
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 10:09:23 am by kirkt »

kirkt

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2020, 10:12:44 am »

Here is the plot with ISO as a linear scale, providing the log curve you would expect.  It will be interesting to see if folks who use LR/ACR find this useful, in the sense that their camera's noise response, for example, tracks this naive interpolation and provides a good starting point for raw conversion settings.

kirk

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2020, 10:52:34 am »

Thanks for sorting this out  :)
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

rdonson

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2020, 03:08:40 pm »

Thanks for sharing this work, Kirk.  It looks very useful!!!!
Regards,
Ron
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up