Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2020: The Chinese Year of the Rat  (Read 292 times)

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
2020: The Chinese Year of the Rat
« on: May 31, 2020, 03:18:10 am »

2020: The Chinese Year of the Rat.

Rob C

Re: 2020: The Chinese Year of the Rat
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2020, 05:55:52 am »

Keith, you find some amazing shots in some dreadful neighbourhoods.

Secretly, your state of mind must be even more bleak than is mine!

Rob

P.S.

I realised some time ago that I am unable to get down anymore to make low angle shots. Okay, I can get down, but getting up safely is not guaranteed. It's one occasion when a camera with an optional reflex system would suit me perfectly. Maybe I need a camera with one of those flip-up screens at the back. Not gonna happen: no way I will invest in, or change to another system now. Too late; too expensive.

;-(
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 06:02:06 am by Rob C »

KLaban

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2020, 07:43:08 am »

Rob, I'm resigned to the fact that this series is challenging, but really that was the point of embarking on the project and particularly at this challenging time. I do realise that the series will not win too many friends or influence too many people but that was never an aim.

As far as my state of mind is concerned, well what I can say is that apart from being furious at the UK government's response to the pandemic I'm feeling surprisingly cheerful. Shooting the series has been a cathartic and positive experience.

I came across this quote from Picasso recently and was so taken by it that I'm going to use it as a quote on the Dark Times gallery which I will be uploading over the next week or so to my website... "And then I understood what painting really meant. It's not an esthetic  process: it's a form of magic that interposes itself between us and the hostile universe, a means of seizing power by imposing a form on our terrors as well as on our desires: The day I understood that, I had found my path"

Tilting screens, I certainly could not have made this shot without one.

BTW, all the shots except one have been made during lockdown in the dreadful neighbourhood that is my house and garden.

;-)

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2020, 09:02:51 am »

Another fine one in a fine series.

I can't do ground shots now either, but I remember some thirty or forty years ago when I took Yoga classes and had no problem getting up from the mat at the end of class.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

John R

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2020, 04:08:17 pm »

Fantastic series Keith. Your image is so large that when I first looked, I thought the top portion was cropped off. I saw this disturbing dead creature with one eye, earthy tones, and a head cocked to one side. The round vase(?) and low light walls propel you to the end of what appears be a tunnel. Then I scrolled up and realized the image was not complete. My gaze was now completely encircled. Altogether disturbingly wonderful!

JR

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2020, 04:22:29 pm »

Rob, I'm resigned to the fact that this series is challenging, but really that was the point of embarking on the project and particularly at this challenging time. I do realise that the series will not win too many friends or influence too many people but that was never an aim.

As far as my state of mind is concerned, well what I can say is that apart from being furious at the UK government's response to the pandemic I'm feeling surprisingly cheerful. Shooting the series has been a cathartic and positive experience.

I came across this quote from Picasso recently and was so taken by it that I'm going to use it as a quote on the Dark Times gallery which I will be uploading over the next week or so to my website... "And then I understood what painting really meant. It's not an esthetic  process: it's a form of magic that interposes itself between us and the hostile universe, a means of seizing power by imposing a form on our terrors as well as on our desires: The day I understood that, I had found my path"

Tilting screens, I certainly could not have made this shot without one.

BTW, all the shots except one have been made during lockdown in the dreadful neighbourhood that is my house and garden.

;-)

I thought the shots were still from Greece or India! Whilst the rodent is acceptable as a naturalized UK citizen, what the hell are the other things - stowaways from a trip? Surely we don't home-grow such creatures in Blighty?

;-)

KLaban

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2020, 02:38:25 am »

Gentlemen, many thanks for your comments, they are appreciated.
Pages: [1]   Go Up