Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New York Times Front Page for Sunday, May 24  (Read 219 times)

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
New York Times Front Page for Sunday, May 24
« on: May 23, 2020, 07:26:11 pm »

I'm posting this as a separate thread rather than in the "non-political" COVID-19 thread because I figured it would draw the ire of the fake-news ideologues, but given the enormous influence of the New York Times* I thought it deserved a non-judgmental mention.

The paper edition of tomorrow's Times has a front page devoid of headlines and photographs―and even news reports.  Instead, it is composed of a list of 1000 names of U.S. victims of COVID-19, along with short summaries culled from their obituaries or death notices in local media.  (See the attached image.)  The news "peg" is the imminent approach of 100,000 confirmed deaths from the pandemic in the United States; the actual number, which includes people who died at home or otherwise were not tested for the SARS-CoV-2 virus, is believed to be much higher.

The Times website has a piece explaining the editors' decision to use this extraordinary technique to illustrate the effect of the pandemic.

I've decided to lock this thread.  Comments should be directed to the "playpen" thread.

―――
*For those of you who may not be entirely familiar with the Times, it's one of three newspapers that has genuinely nationwide circulation in the United States and, more than that, it is one of the most highly respected news publications internationally.  The paper's front page is watched closely by almost every major print or broadcast news organization in this country as a standard for what constitutes significant news.  For that matter, many English-speaking news professionals everywhere in the world regularly read the Times, as do officials of many governments.
Pages: [1]   Go Up