Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Arca Swiss d4 locking knob  (Read 484 times)

johnhennessy

Arca Swiss d4 locking knob
« on: May 22, 2020, 06:39:25 pm »

OK I admit that this is obscure question. I have had an d4 head many years and there is one thing that bothers me: the teardrop locking knob for the fore/aft movement prevents the head from pointing up as far as it otherwise go (maybe 45°) because it hits the base where is says "d4 Patened." So you have to swing the head around and remount the camera. Then it tilts up more than 90° but that slows things down.
I tried repositioning the knob to lock in the side position but it cannot be changed.

Any ideas other than get a presciption for OCD medication?

Eric Brody

• http://www.ericbrodyphoto.com
Re: Arca Swiss d4 locking knob
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2020, 09:17:42 pm »

I have a D4 as well and while I understand your problem, I would suggest, with respect, that you just slow down, remember that you're using a tripod to be more careful and meticulous in your image making and "chill." A therapist might help as well  :)

Rand47

Re: Arca Swiss d4 locking knob
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2020, 09:20:56 am »

“IF” I’m understanding correctly, it is the protruding Arca-Swiss shaft-knob of the clamp itself that is the issue, in combination with the lesser “back tilt” range of the head (as opposed to “forward tilt”)?

If I have this right, then two things.  Replace the Arca clamp (I find them just awful) with a RRS lever clamp.  You’ll gain a significant increase in range (and overall utility of the head).  If that’s still not “enough” - rotate the head, and rotate the panning clamp.  You’ll have as much range as you could possibly

Rand
Rand Scott Adams
Pages: [1]   Go Up