Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How send images and screenshots that don't overwhelm Gmail?  (Read 956 times)

kevs

I use apple mail. My friend uses Gmail. He pointed out that when I attach, simple iphone images or even basic computer screenshots, these take over the entire body of gmail messages and ruin the reading experience. So he asks me to make pdfs.

No one has brought this up before, but I tested with one of my gmail (which I don't use that often) and it's indeed it's a big problem. Apple mail just resized things perfectly on the fly.  Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!
Canon 5DS4/ 5D2/ Canon 16-35, 24-105, fixed 85, Profoto D1s

Manoli

Re: How send images and screenshots that don't overwhelm Gmail?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 11:11:32 pm »

What email client (front end) are you using ?

If you're using Apple email front end to connect to Google , you'll see a list box in the draft message on the upper right hand side, which allows you to choose image size,  when you paste or attach images.

Actual size, large, medium or small.

kevs

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2020, 11:22:20 pm »

Manoli, great never seen this voila think solution...

BTW, is is amazing that Gmail, which dominates, does not receive large images inline eleganty like Apple mail can?

Cornfield

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2020, 06:06:39 am »

Try using the free service wetransfer.com

This is an excellent service to send files.  The sender receives an email confirmation message when the files have been downloaded.

Joe Towner

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2020, 03:30:21 pm »

I would stay away from any 3rd party file transfer sites.  With Gmail any large attachments are sent via Google Drive - it sticks it there, then replaces the email attachment with a link to download.

With Apple Mail it matters if you drag the image into the body, or into the header area (up where the to: & Subject lines).  In the header area, it's a separate attachment, where as in the body, you can place it in line - I sometimes do this when writing up directions and steps.  If the image is in line, it'll render differently depending on the recipient & their device.  If the image is attached, it'll be a click to download type thing.

t: @PNWMF

kevs

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2020, 10:41:21 pm »

Thanks Joe, I was ignoring Cornfields advice as Manoli solved the issue perfectly. I'm an Apple mail user and never saw the dropdown on the right, after you drag in an attachment or image.  I've always just send full image with no complaints.

But alas, an old friend who use Gmail has complained furiously to stop sending large files, which mangle the text around the image. I finally tested on one of my Gmail accounts and he was correct.  People who check gmail on their phones I'm assuming don't have this issue. But if on gmail on desktop/ laptop and someone sends a large image or png, G mail does not seem to do what Apple mail does and resize it perfectly around text on the fly? 

I abhor Gmail, so mediocre, but I know 98% world use it.  But you wonder why it's so bad.  I have issue even worse: Gmail flag my emails as spam to potential client who have emailed me first!  It's over aggressive on spam so you lose clients.
Pages: [1]   Go Up