Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sunset on Hadrian's Wall  (Read 347 times)

KMRennie

Sunset on Hadrian's Wall
« on: May 20, 2020, 01:38:09 pm »

My first very short trip in the car since the slight easing of the lockdown (15 min) when the light suddenly changed with glorious light streaming under the heavy clouds. This is not a much photographed part of the wall and long may it continue. Both images are multi shot panoramas and are rerhaps a bit busy but I do like minimalism as a rule. Ken

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Re: Sunset on Hadrian's Wall
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2020, 02:42:05 pm »

Well done, Ken.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2020, 03:18:41 pm »

The first one is interesting, if for no other reason than you and your tripod are silhouetted in the upper left hand side of the frame, but the second one is a real cracker, with absolutely beautiful golden side light and a really well thought out composition - Bravo!

Dave

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2020, 05:54:20 pm »

Beautiful tones! 
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

KMRennie

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2020, 07:34:33 pm »

The first one is interesting, if for no other reason than you and your tripod are silhouetted in the upper left hand side of the frame, but the second one is a real cracker, with absolutely beautiful golden side light and a really well thought out composition - Bravo!

Dave
Dave I could write a book about the things that I fail to notice! Thanks for the nice comments. I may do something about the very bright patch on the far left of the second image. Ken

guido

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2020, 08:11:00 pm »

I have a collection of those self portraits too...

Lovely images both!

My SO walked Hadrian's wall 5 years ago and I have been wanting to go since then. 

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2020, 05:40:12 am »

Great light.

brandtb

• http://www.brandtbolding.com
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2020, 08:16:39 am »

Nice that first one
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2020, 08:41:38 am »

Dave I could write a book about the things that I fail to notice! Thanks for the nice comments. I may do something about the very bright patch on the far left of the second image. Ken

Credit where credit is due Ken  :)

The trick I use when I do see myself or my kit in the shot, is to take a step (or two) back and then crop back into the original composition to get rid of my silhouette if I can. I also find using a cable release with a fairly long lead can help, so I can then lean out of the shot as far as possible - but this does depend on me seeing my shadow in the shot before I take it of course, which is something we all forget to do occasionally, especially when the light is as good as it is in these two shots and when the excitement of what we are seeing takes us over..

Dave
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 08:47:26 am by Dave (Isle of Skye) »

KMRennie

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2020, 03:36:56 pm »

Dave the second image was taken first and I carefuuly stood in the shadow of a tree behind me. I do have the entire wall as a very large single image so may post the right hand side without my shadow, When I took the right hand side I moved to a better position but didn't check for my shadow. Always another day but arranging the light may take some time. The tree shadow in both images was very problematic unfortunately the sun only hits this side of the wall for 3 months when the trees are in full leaf so the shadow will always be there. at mid summer I may be able to take 2 images an hour apart and blend the full sun parts together but that may be more trouble than it is worth. Ken

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2020, 04:50:39 pm »

...at mid summer I may be able to take 2 images an hour apart and blend the full sun parts together but that may be more trouble than it is worth. Ken

No it isn't Ken, because now you have thought of a way to get around it, you will be unable to stop yourself from doing it - trust me, it's what we do...   ;)

Dave

Vieri Bottazzini

• WEBSITES
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2020, 03:20:39 am »

Great light on both, but it's number 2 for me :) Best regards,

Vieri
Vieri Bottazzini
Ambassador for Phase One, H&Y Filters & NYA-EVO
https://linktr.ee/vieribottazzini

armand

• Photos
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2020, 11:29:52 am »

Yes, the second is very nice! First is not bad either though, I would be happy with any.
Pages: [1]   Go Up