Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Previews... ...seriously?  (Read 676 times)

fmiller

Previews... ...seriously?
« on: May 18, 2020, 04:59:33 pm »

I'm putting together my first C1 catalog and am pretty disappointed so far.

I'm moving from LR, and I'm kind of astounded that anyone uses a piece of software that takes this long to generate previews.

Am I missing something? Im on an old (2013) imac, if that helps.

To give an idea, I'm importing photos from an LR catalog (1900 images) of photos on a synology NAS.

It says that it will take 33 minutes to import the remaining 50% (it's been running about half an hour)

BUT

After half an hour it says that it has only generated 57 previews, and the 880 it has left (still only half the import) will take 6 hours.

The files themselves are a mix of RAW (CR2, ARW, RAF), TIFF, and PSD. It makes sense to me that it will have to spend time generating previews for the TIFFs and PSDs.

But when I click %100 on a CR2 it still takes 40 seconds to generate a preview.

So, if I shot a wedding with 3000 images.... it would be DAYS before I could really edit.

What have I got wrong?

nemtom

• Tamas Nemeth
    • 500 px gallery
Re: Previews... ...seriously?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2020, 05:43:37 pm »

What have I got wrong?

Question: how fast and stable is your connection to your NAS? A stable gigabit ethernet brings you roughly 80-90MB/s.
Silly question: Do you have your catalog on your local drive?

Recommendation: Deselect the collection you're importing onto (select fx Trash instead) while it is importing. The proxy generation and the import process will fight for the bandwidth to your files.

Ray Harrison

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2020, 06:18:02 pm »

What have I got wrong?

Are you creating the C1 catalog on the NAS or on your local (hopefully fast-ish) drive? I think this was the question nemtom was asking but just clarifying.

fmiller

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2020, 08:58:47 pm »

I'm keeping the catalog local, but I can see how that would be a problem.

I think I've figured it out. I was importing a lot of grayscale tiffs, unaware that C1 doesn't work with those.

I'm importing another (much smaller) LR catalog with nothing grayscale.

(fingers crossed!)
Pages: [1]   Go Up