Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Deleting and Re-installing LR Classic  (Read 818 times)

pflower

Deleting and Re-installing LR Classic
« on: May 17, 2020, 01:38:04 pm »

I have had this problem for quite a while with different versions of LR Classic - when sending photos from LR to Photoshop, the saved photo does not appear in the LR Catalog.  It is properly saved in the correct folder but is not visible in LR.  I have to quit and re-start before it is recognised in the catalog.  Updating to the most recent version (9.2.1) seemed to have solved this for a while but now it is back with a vengeance.  There is also another annoyance - when opening LR after quitting the catalog reverts to "all photos".  Previously if I quit having filtered through a keyword or was in a collection on restart LR would go back to where I had been when I shut down - i.e. in that collection or filtered list.  Now I am faced with my entire catalog.  Annoying but not disastrous.

I have tried resetting preferences etc.  No good.  So the only thing I can think of is to delete LR and then download and reinstall via Creative Cloud. 

But what is the best way to do this whilst keeping my print templates (of which there are many), Camera specific import options etc.?

Although I have been using LR since version 1, I now realise that I am not entirely sure where everything is kept.  So I would be grateful for some advice as to what I should throw in the trash and what I shouldn't.  I am on Mac OSX 10.14.1 (Mojave).

Thanks

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Re: Deleting and Re-installing LR Classic
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2020, 02:53:20 pm »

Reinstalling does not affect your templates. Right click one to see where it is stored in Finder.

Reverting to All Photos sounds as if LR is not saving your preferences when it quits. In LR's Preferences / Presets, what setting have you got for "Store presets with this catalog"? Also notice the two buttons to its right.

pflower

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2020, 05:19:21 pm »

Thank you John, as always you come up with advice and I greatly appreciate your input and presence on this site.

BUT I  now have a major problem.  Before I posted my first message I printed a photo using a custom made User Print Template.  No problem.  After reading your response I went to LR Preferences and looked at the preset tab and, having reset the preferences, the tab saying "store presets with this catalog" was not checked.  So I checked it.  I am not sure what the other two buttons to the right which you pointed me to do, but in any event I looked at them but from what I can see they just point me to where the presets are held.

HOWEVER going back to my catalog - all my print templates (built up over probably 10 years of usage) are no longer there.  Going to the other buttons which show where Develop Presets and Other LR Presets are stored lead me to empty folders.  Somehow in one click all my print templates have gone.  I have looked through Lightroom Settings in the Catalog folders which I have on my primary disk plus 2 backup disks, Application Support etc, the Library but I can't find them.

This is seriously disturbing and very depressing.  How could checking the box that says store presets with this catalog suddenly result in all my print templates no longer being available in the print module?  I haven't and won't touch anything else for the moment, but can you please shed any light on this?

If so I would be extremely grateful.  Where on earth could they have been saved previously.

At the end of the day I suppose I can recreate them all, but it would mean using a ruler to determine the precise dimensions of prints in all paper formats which is not impossible but extremely time consuming.

Help?  Please?

pflower

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2020, 05:29:45 pm »

Ok John, I panicked.  I have now noticed that if I uncheck the "store presets with this catalog" the user presets come back.  But I  regret that I don't understand what I should do.  If I restart LR with the "store presets etc." button checked then will the presets be stored somewhere else within the catalog - which sounds logical.

But I am now realising that i really don't understand the file/saving structure of LR.  But todate it has worked without my understanding.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2020, 06:05:09 pm »

Ok John, I panicked.  I have now noticed that if I uncheck the "store presets with this catalog" the user presets come back. 
And that's the expected behavior because the presets were stored elsewhere (on Mac, unfortunately, deep in Application Support which I hate). I only use one catalog and I store the presets with that catalog which makes it easier to backup and transport everything if using external drives. You could also make a Symlink I believe to have it in 'both' locations but I just don't like having presets so far removed from the catalog.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

pflower

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2020, 06:26:22 pm »

Ok , thanks.  Just to be clear.  If I check the "store presets with the catalog" box and then re-start LR - my presets will be saved within the catalog.  I can then use the uninstall option to uninstall LR and then re-install through Creative Cloud and should get everything back to where I can use them?  Or should I just delete the app and then reinstall.

Sorry I am nervous about this  - having used LR for so long.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2020, 06:34:54 pm »

Ok , thanks.  Just to be clear.  If I check the "store presets with the catalog" box and then re-start LR - my presets will be saved within the catalog.  I can then use the uninstall option to uninstall LR and then re-install through Creative Cloud and should get everything back to where I can use them?  Or should I just delete the app and then reinstall.

Sorry I am nervous about this  - having used LR for so long.
I think you can do it either way and as John suggested, your presets will still remain. I just fine it much more logical, safer and easier to store the presets with the catalog.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2020, 02:14:42 am »

Personally, "I just fine it much more logical, safer and easier to store the presets with the catalog centrally". I didn't actually suggest you change the setting, but glad that panic was brief.

The important thing is to know where they are, and since 9.0 to know that the Develop presets are separate - hence those two buttons.

pflower

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2020, 09:36:52 am »

Thanks to all for all your advice.  will get round to reinstalling later this week.

pflower

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2020, 06:33:35 pm »

Forgive me because I am going to revisit this.  I have spent over an hour with Adobe on their on line chat line.  I have reset preferences in LR, updated to the latest version of PS and reset those preferences. But this is still a problem.  There is a wealth of expertise in this forum and so, once again, I hope someone can point me in the right direction.

If I filter photographs in LR - ie. by a keyword  - and then send that photo to PS for editing and save it then

(i) the saved photo is correctly saved in the same folder as the original photo and with the same keyword(s). 

(ii) the original photo in my library is marked as being 2 of 2.  But the saved photo from PS is not visible in the catalog.  And yes the "stack with original" box is checked in LR preferences.  But the keyword tally is increased by one so the keyword filter accepts that a new photo has been added to the keywords.  Clicking on the keyword filter does not show the saved photo.

(iii) Selecting the original photo and then going to Show in Library Folder has the new photo.  Synchronising from that folder doesn't help.  The saved photo is still not visible in the catalog.

(iv) Quitting and then restarting LR solves the problem.  The saved photo is now in the catalog and in the keyword filter.

(v) BUT when I restart LR the last photo selected comes us as default BUT only where the catalog is showing "all photos" and not where I quit from it.  So if I quit on a filtered selection from a keyword selection, the photo I quit on is selected upon restart but not the filtered selection it came from.

This is a new problem - I have been using LR since v1.  I have not had this problem before.  I have deleted and reinstalled LR, updated to the latest PS version - reset preferences for both PS and LR and still this goes on.

I have my catalog on an external SSD, the app on my startup drive and my files spread over a number of external disks.  I am on Mac OSX 10.14.6 and have run diskwarrior over all external drives.  Something somewhere is being corrupted.

Anyone got any idea what might be the root cause of this?

I don't have much hair left so I am not going to pull it out, but I do rather feel like doing so.

Reinstalling does not affect your templates. Right click one to see where it is stored in Finder.

Reverting to All Photos sounds as if LR is not saving your preferences when it quits. In LR's Preferences / Presets, what setting have you got for "Store presets with this catalog"? Also notice the two buttons to its right.
Pages: [1]   Go Up