Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: low level aerial photography  (Read 2176 times)

mulga bill

• http://
low level aerial photography
« on: December 06, 2006, 05:14:22 am »

Hello and a quick description of what i do and use at the moment.Lots of aerial photography mostly but have a day job to support it too! and like my new 5D very much,more so every time i get to use it.

My question/s is this; the f4 70-200is is great for most of the shooting i do(1000 ft and focused at objects on the ground,so far so good.I'm an ex sailplane pilot thinking seriously about a gyro so i can snoop around in places outback,as in the western australian desert or at least the edges of it where most of the wildlife is,and with the time that takes i just could not afford to pay a commercial pilot for it all.I need another lens because i'd like to get some nice air to airs with the large wedgetail eagles we have here,and i want depth of field and as much clarity as i can afford to have(about four thousand dollars aus)

My shooting position will be slightly above them mostly and i'll be close and trying to get them against a nice backdrop,say within one to two hundred feet(30-70mtrs)of them maximum.Altitude will be between three hundred and one thousand feet(100-300mtrs) and shutter speed will vary from 125 to 500 and looking forward to your comments,thanking you in advance

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006, 03:18:40 am »

I'm not sure how large the birds you intend to shoot are, so I hesitate to recommend focal lengths, but for air-to-air stuff IS will be very helpful, aircraft not being the most stable of shooting platforms. If the focal range is right, the 70-200/2.8L IS (perhaps with a 1.4x teleconverter) should be high on your list of choices. If you need something longer, Canon makes, 300, 400, 500 and 600mm L lenses with IS. Choose the lens that will get you the framing you want within your budget, maybe a 400/4 L IS.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2006, 03:19:50 am by Jonathan Wienke »

macgyver

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2006, 11:45:21 am »

cubdrvr

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2006, 01:05:07 pm »

Bill......
The 70-200 2.8L IS USM is an awesome lens.......my favorite.  It should serve you well for your purpose.  The only recommendation I would make is to possibly up your shutter speed.
Depending on conditions I generally shoot 200 ISO & 4.0-5.6 and let the speed fall where it may.
Pages: [1]   Go Up