Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any sources for sample negatives?  (Read 440 times)

uimike

Any sources for sample negatives?
« on: May 15, 2020, 09:20:28 pm »

This may sound a bit odd, and I am not even sure I am asking the question correctly - but here it goes. As I learn to get better scans (from my very middling equipment, Epson V600, Canon 6D and Panasonic G9 in highrez mode, both with a micro nikkor 55mm f/3.5, an Elmarit-R 60, and a Tamron 90 Macro) - I realize it might be useful to play with a really really good sample of a 6x6 B&W negative - and the few negs I developed myself are, well, kind of not that great.

Is it possible to buy test negatives somewhere? Say, some generic image, well exposed, well processed film, possibly some Fuji, Kodak, etc, developed in a couple of different developers?

I know I can get better at exposing and processing, but getting started with scanning/capturing using very high quality negs would be great!

tx for any suggestions,

Mike

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
Re: Any sources for sample negatives?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2020, 08:12:07 am »

Not exactly what you’re asking for, but closely related: https://dtculturalheritage.com/product-category/quality-control/

The ISA Film Targets are to test tone, sharpness, and geometry. There are also “IT8” targets to test color reproduction though that’s a topic of some complexity (covered in our transmissive digitization Guide: https://dtculturalheritage.com/product-category/digitization-guides/)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2020, 12:09:47 pm »

Here's a suggestion. Take some shots but bracket them:  let's say 5 shots -1, -1/2, 0, +1/2, +1 stops.  Shoot somethings on a sunny day with blue skies and clouds and green and varied landscapes.  Then have them processed in a pro lab.  That way you can keep defecting processing out of the mix.  Now you'll have 5 properly developed shots to scan and work from to practice your scanning and editing.  Good luck.

uimike

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2020, 08:57:40 pm »

Thanks Doug and Alan!

@Doug:  thank you for the amazing site (and products) - my dream would be to have the (super expensive though) 6cm film test strip - maybe one day. Great resources, one can only drool at the technology displayed there. Beatiful!

@Alan: great idea, will do it. So, got my Kalloflex out, it was raining softly here in San José California, with vivid greens, rolling whit and dark clouds, so I said to myself, perfect, just what the doctor ordered!  Got the pack of 120 Bergger, quickly read on the Kallo manual how to load the roll just to make sure, opened the camera and...

#$%@!!!!   I left all spools in storage. Grrr. So rather than go to the storage and rumble through boxes, I just ordered a few from AMZ.

Will do it in a few days!

Mike
Pages: [1]   Go Up