Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ergosoft 15 Profile Creation Problems/Questions- Epson P20000/P10000  (Read 494 times)

cunningIMG

• Loupe

Hello,

I am in a bit of an internal battle if I should keep Ergosoft as my RIP. I have two main issues since I have started using Ergosoft and by using, I mean trying to create usable profiles. My issues have been with the profile creation process pre ColorGPS. Let me say, I have been in close contact with Ergosoft support via email and I even went to an Ergosoft on site training in New Hampshire to re-learn all the basics after purchasing the software.

Issue 1—
Too much ink— No matter my settings the Ink Limitation chart is always bleeding and runny at the 240 mark(the lowest suggested). I don't get it. I have tested changes in dither, resolution, dot size, ink limits in linearization, and dot gain. Maybe I don't know how to properly adjust the Dot Size in the advanced settings of the Print Environment...but just not sure. In an effort to get the ink limit not runny I tried manually reducing ink limits and dot gain in the Linearization process and was able to reduce enough to print a usable Ink Limitation chart, but then my inks were so reduced I did not have good Dmax and everything looked flat. Later I tried using Black Point Architect to compensate for this and it did kinda help- but I should not have to do all of this manual ink limiting!

Print Environment settings and Process:
Epson P20000 - Enhanced Matte Paper - Roll - Smooth Dither - 2400x1200 Fixdot (have tested 1200x1200 Varidot with no better result).
Also, I would think that as I am trying to print photographs for fine art purposes I would want to use the highest resolution possible, but 2400x2400 pushes out WAY too much ink. 
~ First I make two initial linearizations (18patch and 36patch), scan each 2-3 times, M1 dual scan with i1Pro2. Dot gain of 20%. I use Auto Limit on the 36patch set.

Next step is printing the Ink Limitation chart and as I said, ink is bleeding and wet at 240. I have tested printing LAB gradients using these linearization and 240 ink limit and still ink bleeds at the dense parts of the gradient.

Issue 2—
Visible Dots— There is a dot "texture" in some areas of smoother tones and I am not sure I like it. I am not sure if this is a native aspect of how Ergosoft rips? The dot pattern is just different and has more noticeable dots than the Photoshop driver? In my opinion the Photoshop driver renders things with a "tighter" dot pattern. The Ergosoft print was made using a profile made via ColorGPS with GCR4 at around 1200 patches. I have attached pictures to illustrate my point.

The photos marked Ergo are from Ergosoft, the photos marked M are printed with Mirage, which uses the Photoshop driver.
Highlighted Issues:
• Areas of smooth gradient have visible dots
• Poor gradients in subtle tones
Causes:
• Dot size?
• Ink limitation?
• Dot gain?

- - -

Sorry if I have left any info out, I can elaborate if needed.
Lastly, Ergosoft support has been too generalizing in their help and does not seem to want to put in the time to sort out my specific issues, so I would appreciate any insight that could be given to either issue.

Thanks!
Chris Cunningham
http://loupeprint.com

Alistair

For your first issue; If I understand what you are saying, you are doing a rough initial 18 patch linearisation and then refining this initial linearisation with a 36 patch interation? And if you print a 3rd set of 36 patches, does the ramp look good or is it blocked up a the bottom end? And when you look at the print environment, can you see the record of these two linearisations? i.e. did you save them properly and have they stuck and did you put them in the correct print environment? And did you make a correct ink assignment when creating the print environment? (BTW you don't really need to measure 3 times in ES, 2 is fine unless the delta e between reads is large).

For your second issue; Firstly, make sure you save your GPS session after measurement so you can re-open it and make some advanced adjustments. In particular look at the ICC Colour Usage and Limit setting. This controls the use of non-CMYK colours in light tones. You probably have a lot of non-CMYK colours on that printer and the default auto setting can cause the colours to be used at too light a L value and in this case you will see colour dots in light tones.
Secondly, where have you set your gray colour replacement in your profile? Again, assuming your printer has mulitple light blacks, you can try this at 0 (I believe the default is probably 3).
Alistair
Pages: [1]   Go Up