Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom Classic future  (Read 6239 times)

RoyReddy

Lightroom Classic future
« on: May 09, 2020, 05:44:43 pm »

in a couple of LuLa posts now, @DanWells has predicted a doom & gloom future for Lightroom Classic(desktop installed version)
Dan does not pull any punches he has quite pessimistic about the future of LR Classic.
He cites his experience at an Adobe show and scant features delivered in recent releases.  It is possible that his projections are insightful.

But there are other voices.
from another source there was a recent clip of an Adobe rep explaining how the development efforts swing from platform to platform.  The rep acknowledged that Classic has had few features recently and that other versions had the focus of efforts in recent releases.
Wish I could provide a link to that clip but it eludes me.

Question for the group;
Do you see a long-term future for Lightroom Classic?  or are you investing large efforts to locate an alternate?

I am interested in the wisdom and confidence of the group about LR longevity.

I am not asking whether there are other products you use for post-processing.  Dan and others have outlined a list of alternates strengths/shortfalls.

thanks Roy

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: Lightroom Classic future
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2020, 08:24:37 pm »

in a couple of LuLa posts now, @DanWells has predicted a doom & gloom future for Lightroom Classic(desktop installed version)
Those that actually know can't speak. He's a beta? Not to my knowledge (I am). He's an Adobe employee or on the LR team?
Those that don't know assume and speculate. Don't pay any attention to such rubbish speculations.   
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2020, 08:28:07 pm »

Question for the group;
Do you see a long-term future for Lightroom Classic?  or are you investing large efforts to locate an alternate?
I am interested in the wisdom and confidence of the group about LR longevity.

Sorry to appear so cynical, but it wouldn't attract so many clicks if he said the opposite, would it?

What he does say is that it remains a strong, balanced solution.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2020, 10:12:40 pm »

Sorry to appear so cynical, but it wouldn't attract so many clicks if he said the opposite, would it?
Yeah it seems the 'agenda' is generating clicks by writing stuff that's both unproven, speculative and not to up to the smell test IF it's the same fellow here::

Dan Wells writes that "if you leave [an Epson printer] idle for a significant time in between jobs, that is dangerous for the head."

That concept is AFAIK (and I've worked with and for Epson for two decades, including as an instructor for the Epson Print Academy) utterly made up.
I did ask who at Epson said this to him, never heard. I've worked with many of the Epson product managers, and engineers; the idea that turning off the power between or having it idle between jobs is dangerous to the heads is silly talk.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Rand47

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2020, 08:26:25 am »

Those that actually know can't speak. He's a beta? Not to my knowledge (I am). He's an Adobe employee or on the LR team?
Those that don't know assume and speculate. Don't pay any attention to such rubbish speculations.

+1  Just a bunch of pedantic bushwah as far as I could see.  Josh must be desperate for content at any price from the looks of it.  Every article of Dan’s that I’ve read here has had a depressing, almost nasty undertone, about “something or other.”  I don’t think any of them would have passed Michael’s generally forward thinking, objective, editorial perspective.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

Jonathan Cross

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2020, 09:31:51 am »

I have already commented in Site and Board Matters/Article Discussions.  I have used LR since LR2, so have got used to it, but there are still features that I do not know enough about.  LR Classic meets my needs for develop and print.  I use Helicon for focus stacking (I have Fuji kit) and PTGui for stitching panoramas.  I am not discontented with LR so have not seen the need to change to C1 or DXO.  That would change very quickly if Classic were discontinued for all the reasons others have cited.

Best wishes,

Jonathan

Jonathan in UK

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2020, 05:27:38 pm »

I don't know what Adobe is going to do in the future, but I see it possible that an online solution could make sense if technology advances to the point were future network speed equal the current read speeds from SSDs and the computing power in the back-end is equal or better than a current high end workstation.

In regards to functionality, I don't see why it cannot equal or surpass the current LR Classic, and nothing of this precludes the possibility of a local data backup.
Moreover, a cloud solution is more likely to implement (hopefully) concurrent multi-user capabilities than the stand alone one.

You may think I'm dreaming or that this is just wishful thinking, and maybe it's true, but having started not too long ago with punched cards and 300 baud modems,  I think a scenario like that is very likely in the not too distant future.

Now if the choice is to do the change today, with the current LR functionality and tech limitations, I would definitely say not.

In regards to the article, It find it highly biased and speculative, not worthy of being paid content. I find much better information in the forums.

Rand47

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2020, 05:35:43 pm »

I don't know what Adobe is going to do in the future, but I see it possible that an online solution could make sense if technology advances to the point were future network speed equal the current read speeds from SSDs and the computing power in the back-end is equal or better than a current high end workstation.

In regards to functionality, I don't see why it cannot equal or surpass the current LR Classic, and nothing of this precludes the possibility of a local data backup.
Moreover, a cloud solution is more likely to implement (hopefully) concurrent multi-user capabilities than the stand alone one.

You may think I'm dreaming or that this is just wishful thinking, and maybe it's true, but having started not too long ago with punched cards and 300 baud modems,  I think a scenario like that is very likely in the not too distant future.

Now if the choice is to do the change today, with the current LR functionality and tech limitations, I would definitely say not.

In regards to the article, It find it highly biased and speculative, not worthy of being paid content. I find much better information in the forums.

I don’t doubt that it is possible, perhaps even likely that they will be able to do this.  The question for someone like me is, “Do I want to depend upon a fast internet connection to be able to process files?”  And, “Do I want my work product out in the cloud somewhere, or do I want it secure in whatever DAM and backup scheme I choose?”  I suspect that if Adobe wants to hang on to the user base who currently see these options as essential, they’ll think long and hard before pulling the plug on “LR Classic” as we have it - or will need some sort of hybrid version that accommodates. 

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

jrp

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2020, 05:21:32 am »

It’s a mature product. What more new features should they introduce, particularly as you are paying for it anyway?

They may change the model to being cloud based only at some point to increase the rent they charge, but that’s not going to happen overnight.

RoyReddy

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2020, 08:59:54 am »

::) thanks folks.  Your comments align with my thinking about the future of LR.
Roy

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2020, 09:29:53 am »

It’s a mature product. What more new features should they introduce, particularly as you are paying for it anyway?

I would like to see sophisticated masking.

rdonson

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2020, 09:55:05 am »

I would like to see sophisticated masking.

Peter, could you provide examples of what you mean by “sophisticated masking”?
Regards,
Ron

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2020, 03:08:03 pm »

I didn't read the entire article as it was simply way too long and in many ways uninteresting for me. He ends up by saying that Lightroom Classic is recommended but he will also be surprised if LR Classic exists in 3 years from now. His logic that Adobe will pull the rug from under LR Classic and replace it with LR CC and force users into pay for tons of cloud storage does not make any sense to me. Why should Adobe do this when they can have happy customers and get $10 per month from each of them and they don't even have to spend that much R&D to capture that amount of money. If Adobe was to make LR Classic redundant they would definitely not do it by pulling support for LR Classic. They would do it by offering a replacement that has all the functionality and that current users would be happy to migrate to and migration tools would be provided. I also don't believe that a cloud only solution would be the one that Adobe would offer. Maybe Starlink from SpaceX will provide high speed internet anywhere even in the bush but other than that a cloud only based solution would be totally a disaster. But a hybrid of cloud and HD based should be a nobrainer anyway. The main thing is to have all the functions of LR classic before a potential change. I believe that when it happens there will be quite a transition period and why not? I don't see why Adobe would not do that.

Denis de Gannes

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2020, 10:38:09 pm »

I believe that there will be a transition to “Cloud Based” applications and computer hardware. This is already beginning an eventually be completed when the cost of Cloud Storage is less than the cost of tradition computer equipment and physical storage replacement replacement costs. We saw camera manufactures that did not transition from film to digital imaging quickly, when the out of business.
Sony, Panasonic and many successful producers of digital Imaging equipment including, phones and tablets did not produce film cameras.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 10:59:49 pm by Denis de Gannes »
Equip: iMac (Ret. 5K,27"Mid 2015),macOS 10.15.6

pluton

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2020, 01:03:12 am »

@ I'd like to see:
Focus stacking (maybe not possible in the parametric realm but it could manufacture TIFFs or DNGs), and a multiple exposure effect, layering at least five files "on top" of each other emulating multiple exposure in a film camera.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2020, 09:14:39 am »

Peter, could you provide examples of what you mean by “sophisticated masking”?

Perhaps I should have said sophisticated selection tools, but they are closely related. I am thinking of some of Photoshop's tools, such as magic wand and magnetic lasso.

rdonson

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2020, 03:26:52 pm »

I believe that there will be a transition to “Cloud Based” applications and computer hardware. This is already beginning an eventually be completed when the cost of Cloud Storage is less than the cost of tradition computer equipment and physical storage replacement replacement costs.

If everything goes "Cloud Based" there will be a significant amount of rural American who will be disadvantaged.  I spend a good deal of time in the Blue Ridge where the FCC currently thinks of 2Mbps download/upload speeds as sufficient.  A pox on Ajit Pai at the FCC.
Regards,
Ron

rdonson

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2020, 03:28:10 pm »

@ I'd like to see:
Focus stacking (maybe not possible in the parametric realm but it could manufacture TIFFs or DNGs), and a multiple exposure effect, layering at least five files "on top" of each other emulating multiple exposure in a film camera.

If you have the PS/Lr subscription that's already available.  Am I missing something?
Regards,
Ron

rdonson

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2020, 03:29:52 pm »

Perhaps I should have said sophisticated selection tools, but they are closely related. I am thinking of some of Photoshop's tools, such as magic wand and magnetic lasso.

If you have the PS/Lr subscription you already have those tools available in PS.  Help me understand why that should be duplicated in Lr. 
Regards,
Ron

headmj

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2020, 03:32:50 pm »

Unfortunately Dan Wells has consumed too much of the bitter Kool-Aid from petapixels and  fstoppers.  All the same weak arguments are there.  They are a bunch of Anybody but Adobe types.  I have worked my way through alternatives and found each one wanting.  Some of the things I see requested now for Lightroom are resident in Photoshop.  There is nothing I do that I can't do in LR\Photoshop.  I LIKE the subscription.  I am now a big fan and also have the full Office 365 subscription because it make s such sense.  I don't see LR disappearing anytime soon.  This is not Apple where they just did not care about their professional users.
Mike
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up