Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Living Through History  (Read 448 times)

Chris Kern

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2204
    • Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
Living Through History
« on: May 07, 2020, 08:49:42 pm »

I confess to being a bit of an antiquarian.  Mostly I read secondary sources; I've done a little research with contemporaneous primary documents―mostly letters and notes of various U.S. politicians and government officials―but what really interests me is trying to put my metaphorical self in the proverbial shoes of people who lived during "historic" times, and imagine what it felt like to them in the absence of our retrospective knowledge of the significance of what they were living through.

One of the books that captured that sense best for me is The Children of Pride (1972), a series of letters written to each other by members of an extended family, based in the state of Georgia, during the 19th Century U.S. civil war.  The fact that these were slave owners is no doubt off-putting to some, but though I was fascinated by their apparently sincere justifications of the "peculiar institution," what interested me even more was their simultaneous ignorance and acute perception of how their world was so fundamentally changing.  The collection reads like an epistolary novel.  There is real suspense.  The family members didn't know what would happen next, so the reader who suspends his knowledge of the outcome can vicariously live though those times with them.

"History" inevitably is what subsequent generations say it is.  But given that it's been a century since the last pandemic on a scale that can even be compared to what we currently are experiencing, I think it's a good bet we are living though a "historical" period.

Those of us d'un certain âge likely won't be around to know the verdict, but our children and grandchildren will, no doubt, regard this as one of the most eventful periods of their lives.

Anyway, while we're worrying about our own safety and that of our loved ones, obsessing about the latest medical news, chafing at the government restrictions, or just trying to game the vagaries of the local supermarket's supply chain, I think it's worth taking a breather every now and again to contemplate how remarkable is the experience the greater part of humanity is going through right now.  I can't bring myself to go so far as to claim we should enjoy this moment, but I don't think it's a reach to suggest we should appreciate it.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 09:15:05 pm by Chris Kern »
Logged

Alan Klein

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 15850
    • Flicker photos
Re: Living Through History
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2020, 09:22:22 pm »

Certainly the next few years are going to be very challenging.

Robert Roaldi

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5514
    • Robert's Photos
Re: Living Through History
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2020, 09:26:20 pm »

This period should be educational but only time will tell if it will be. I was speaking to my mother who is 97, grew up and lived in Italy and lived through the second world war. A couple of bombs went off near her in her village. Her only comment was that it would be better if people didn't have to live through such periods, but this one was especially vexing because the danger is more or less invisible, you can't see it coming.
Logged
--
Robert

JoeKitchen

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5080
Re: Living Through History
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2020, 07:08:46 am »

This period should be educational but only time will tell if it will be. I was speaking to my mother who is 97, grew up and lived in Italy and lived through the second world war. A couple of bombs went off near her in her village. Her only comment was that it would be better if people didn't have to live through such periods, but this one was especially vexing because the danger is more or less invisible, you can't see it coming.

I'd take this "danger" (99+% survival rate) over shrapnel any day. 
Logged
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent
Pages: [1]   Go Up